Draft Profile Early reports on new draftees...

Remove this Banner Ad

Your recruiters better have a good answer to the question, "Why didn't you draft Riley Collier-Dawkins?"

I think the question mark over RCD was that he doesn't win a huge amount of the ball. I remembered researching him a bit before the draft and while I thought he looked very promising his disposal numbers were a little on the low side for a big-bodied midfielder.

Does "We rated Stocker higher" qualify?

Doesn't always have to be the popular bf pick. Just the right one for the club.
We don't know yet if that answer is a good one or not. "We rated Stocker at 6" is an answer only one recruiting group gave. SOS's nads are definitely on the line.

Don't insult me with that "popular BF pick" nonsense.

I think the question mark over RCD was that he doesn't win a huge amount of the ball. I remembered researching him a bit before the draft and while I thought he looked very promising his disposal numbers were a little on the low side for a big-bodied midfielder.
That was the question mark but given his growth spurt I'm not worried. 65% of his possessions were won in a contest, once his running improves (already chopped a minute off his 3km) he'll get more outside ball and chain possessions.

He upped his numbers in the TAC finals as well, good sign.

We don't know yet if that answer is a good one or not. "We rated Stocker at 6" is an answer only one recruiting group gave. SOS's nads are definitely on the line.

Not possible but I would love it if the AFL forced all 18 clubs to release their top 100 list for the draft a few weeks after every draft, I would love to see where teams actually ranked every single player.

Why RCD though? Why not McLennan who I at least, rated higher?
Why not Hill, Sparrow, O'Neil?

You know why and I know why, so don't give me that faux "I am insulted" crap. :)

You know why and I know why, so don't give me that faux "I am insulted" crap. :)
Probably because most of the phantom drafts and the people in the know "reporters" that have connections had RCD going between #13-#16 and St Kilda were attempting to do the exact same trade to what Carlton did to get RCD

All the others you mentioned were all expected to be taken between #20-#35 except for Hill who was looking like a #15-#20 pick and he was the player that Richmond would have taken if RCD was gone.

What? I picked RCD because he's at my club and I've seen and heard a lot of good things.

I didn't say I was insulted, I was saying your comment was weak, defensive nonsense.

What? I picked RCD because he's at my club and I've seen and heard a lot of good things.

I didn't say I was insulted, I was saying your comment was weak, defensive nonsense.

Well I really like Justin McInerney. I have only seen him play in one practice game but from what I saw he looks very promising. Plus I only learned to spell his name yesterday since being a pick in the 40's he wasn't really on my radar.

But all reports Rankine ripped us a new one in the scratch match today. Rankine and Lukosios kicked the first two (impressive?) goal

I am surprised that the game was not live streamed as most clubs are doing that this year with their practice matches. The Swans live streamed the Sydney vs GWS game and have all 4 quarters on their website right now for anyone that wants to watch. I am surprised Brisbane and Gold Coast have not done the same thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am surprised that the game was not live streamed as most clubs are doing that this year with their practice matches. The Swans live streamed the Sydney vs GWS game and have all 4 quarters on their website right now for anyone that wants to watch. I am surprised Brisbane and Gold Coast have not done the same thing.
Our game and the Crows are the only two that were I believe.

Most clubs are cautious about making training and scratch matches public. All our training is, I assume there's done with done to keep oppisition analysts out.

Our game and the Crows are the only two that were I believe.

Most clubs are cautious about making training and scratch matches public. All our training is, I assume there's done with done to keep oppisition analysts out.

Which is completely nuts really as what secrets are they hoping to keep that would not be discovered 5 minutes into round 1.

Which is completely nuts really as what secrets are they hoping to keep that would not be discovered 5 minutes into round 1.
JLT possibly. Pretty sure they get head on coverage of that.

It's takes time to respond maybe, it continues through the season. Every club has opposition analysts who assist in planning each game. Interestingly Tim Kelly told us last year it's 70% the last matchup, with some input from recent games if the teams have changed personnel or structures.

And you'd assume most clubs would have spies around the practice circuit anyway.

Word is the club really wanted to but weren't able to do to an issue with AFLW being on at the same time.

I see. It was weak and defensive and didn't answer the question.
You may have missed it and here it is again: Does "We rated Stocker higher" qualify?

Not a hard concept to get around, but if you disagree you answer your own question: Your recruiters better have a good answer to the question, "Why didn't you draft Riley Collier-Dawkins?"

So...enlighten us.
Let me put it this way: "We rated Stocker higher" is another way of saying "We got it wrong".

Come on - It's clear the angle the poster was taking and I'm sorry if he's 'insulted' for being called out for it.
No mate, it was just a coincidence that my post came after yours. I was talking about any club that overlooked RCD needing to have had a good reason because he's going to be a star. I wasn't aiming to antagonise.

No mate, it was just a coincidence that my post came after yours. I was talking about any club that overlooked RCD needing to have had a good reason because he's going to be a star. I wasn't aiming to antagonise.

No harm done, but I thought I answered your question in regards to what the CFC would say, if indeed RCD clocks up some of the aspects of his game that may have concerned some clubs.

I rated his profile more than I probably rated RCD himself, if you know what I mean.
He's everything one would love to have in a mid, except for the fact he couldn't find a lot of the ball......Stocker can and was more in line with what the CFC wanted in its rebuild. I'm an advocate of not requiring to have the best player, but sometimes simply the best fit for the club.
Stocker will invariably though have plenty of heat upon him, given the circumstances of what went down at the ND last year. Can't escape it, sadly.

If RCD is performing well for now, good on him. Stocker is a little behind that curve and wasn't called upon for our recent practice match, but fair to say that it's all just a little early right now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back