Freo Intraclub Game

Remove this Banner Ad

A few observations from today;

6-6-6: we would typically send one or two forwards to charge into the centre square at the ball ups. Often it was Hogan and Matera. Lobb seemed to be the deepest starting target a lot.

Hogan: very vocal. Loves the “f-word” so could rub some people/players the wrong way. Lots of instruction given to players in his vicinity. Shows great leadership and direction and is super competitive.

Kick-ins: Luke Ryan took most of them and played on, kicking long.

Tall forwards: will take some time to gel. Early on, Tabs and Hogan were leading to similar positions. Hoges had a word to Tabs and they seemed to resolve it, but will obviously take some time - looks like a dangerous combo building though!

Small forwards: Swita, Matera, Colyer started. Walters rotated a little bit. Good pace and pressure in that mix. As mentioned, Schultz (nickname “Shooter”) was very good for the B team. Had a few good hangs too. Will be pressure on for spots finally! Ballas who?

Skills: looked pretty ordinary to me. Quite a contested game. Lots of hack kicks/quick bombs/ territory gains from stoppages - often very high too. Not sure if this was by design or if it just happened that way, but didn’t look very polished. The midfield was missing Fyfe, BHill, Blakely, SHill and no Wilson (HB), so it was almost two B-grade midfields opposed against each other. We matched best forwards with best defenders, and up the other end our B-team forwards (Dixon and Schultz particularly) seemed to beat our B-team defenders - hence the B-team winning the game. Probably says we have more forward depth than defence.

Some nice moments from Sturt - but mostly being used as a back flanker. Kicked the ball very well. Toby Watson has very red hair! Colyer is very quick! North is very strong through the core and legs. Meek looked quite good at times - in the ruck and up forward. Ed and Giro opposed on the wing I was stationed. Good matchup. Didn’t notice much of Tucker and Bewley (but was other side of the ground).

Can’t wait for JLT and Foxtel coverage. Get a better feel for the inside/contested ball happenings.

I had the worst ruddy day at work... I am freekin shattered

So if someone who watched can give me good news etc out of today's game I'd be more than stoked
Some good news...

Jesse Hogan attacked every contest like a maniac, showed no signs of being injured. Must be a possibility for round one.
Hogan and Tabs seem to be working up some real chemistry together, discussing what worked and what didn't when both forward.
Switkowski looked great all day, tackled his heart out and showed real speed and skill around the ball.
Logue looks to be fully fit and showed glimpses of his dash from the backline.
Lots of the "lesser lights" played well - Giro, Crowden and North all did well at various times.
Banfield looks really strong and will be a handy big body around the contest.
Sam Sturt generally looked very composed with ball in hand, hit some great targets and probably started the best play of the day with a long spot up to Tabs, who rolled on to Hogan for an open goal.
I thought Meek was really good, certainly wasn't disgraced in the ruck and always looked dangerous when forward.
Some of Luke Ryan's release kicking from the backline was fantastic. Considering we still have Wilson to come in and Logue back there, we have some weapons now.

Lots of positives. A few negatives but I'll leave them out considering you have had a bad day.

Some good news...

Jesse Hogan attacked every contest like a maniac, showed no signs of being injured. Must be a possibility for round one.
Hogan and Tabs seem to be working up some real chemistry together, discussing what worked and what didn't when both forward.
Switkowski looked great all day, tackled his heart out and showed real speed and skill around the ball.
Logue looks to be fully fit and showed glimpses of his dash from the backline.
Lots of the "lesser lights" played well - Giro, Crowden and North all did well at various times.
Banfield looks really strong and will be a handy big body around the contest.
Sam Sturt generally looked very composed with ball in hand, hit some great targets and probably started the best play of the day with a long spot up to Tabs, who rolled on to Hogan for an open goal.
I thought Meek was really good, certainly wasn't disgraced in the ruck and always looked dangerous when forward.
Some of Luke Ryan's release kicking from the backline was fantastic. Considering we still have Wilson to come in and Logue back there, we have some weapons now.

Lots of positives. A few negatives but I'll leave them out considering you have had a bad day.

I did it was shocking

And thank you heaps

Match report
I only saw 40minutes ish of play after coming from work.Most of this information is repeating what was told to me so take that for what it is.

This was posted in the preseason thread, but I should have checked for the intraclub thread first and ill post it here.
I went after work and only saw 40min ish so ive included some of the observations from people I spoke to who watched the whole game as well.
Spoke to a few there who said Tabs was dominant and kicked 4 before I started watching.
Dixon kicked some good goals (at least three maybe 4) as well matched up on watson. Great mark.
Hogan kicked two looked great but was rested quite a bit.
Shultz and Swita were both great. Swita looked like he had a bit of cramp at one point, but seemed fine.
Cox didnt impress as a defender. Got beaten on the lead a few times. Did alright as a forward. Im still not sold he'll be a good defender at afl level. Totally sold he'll be a very good forward.
Colyer impressed with great skills and speed.
Despite conceding goals I still think there is plenty to work with in Watson. He has terrific skills from what Ive seen.
Logue did well defensively, but didnt get a lot of the ball.
Giro's kicking looked much improved.
Banfield and Hughes looked to have improved significantly if the early signs of a intra club count for anything. Banfield has put everything into this preseason. He spent time between half forward and onabll from what I can tell. Took a few good high marks in the limited play I saw. Its a small club I know so no probs with anyone who disagrees, but im in the Hughes over Duman club, which consists of myself and Hughes' direct family members. I still think Duman has some athletic limitations, but hope he exceeds my expectations and proves me wrong. A confident motivated Hughes still has a heap to offer in my view. Took the game on a couple of time in the play I saw.
Bewley and Tucker seemed to have a great duel. Bewley probably had the better of Darcy and kicked a terrific 55 metre goal to win the game for his side(by a point) just before the siren.
Walters was great at driving up anxiety levels of the freo fans watching. In a good way if that makes sense, he simply cant help himself from competing doing some great smothers or team plays. Personally would prefer he took it a bit easier, but gotta love his effort.
Lobb dropped quite a few marks and could have kicked a bag. You cant help get the impression that at least now when we kick it long to the forward line it will be much harder for opposition defenders to outmark our forwards with Rory there.

Edit: I saw Sean Darcy come off and he seemed to be moving fine to me. Id be surprised if it was serious.

Edit/edit: For those who've hated our forward line for a long time. Good news, it cold very well be a completely different starting forwad line of:
Banfield Tabs Swita
Shultz Hogan Lobb
Walters and Colyer midfield rotating forward. Mundy possibly rotaing mid and a bit in defence.

Last edited: Today at 8:34 PM
Quote Reply

Last edited:
Cox down back :0 signs of where he will be used in 2019 ?

Going to be interesting to see how all these talls get used this year
Honestly, hope its not down back. He's much better making the play then following a man in my opinion.

Honestly, hope its not down back. He's much better making the play then following a man in my opinion.

Good example was the contested mark by Meek, that ball took an eternity to get to Meek. Slow loopy kick that should have been intercepted. Cox saw it unfolding and couldn’t make up the distance. I think they play him back because he needs to become a swing man and he needs the practice down back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hogan in the midfield eh? Continuing the pattern of big Freo mids (Mundy, Fyfe) that goes all the way back to Pav. Mark Harvey was ahead of his time..who knew?

I am amazed by the lack of appreciation for Brayshaw’s Game yesterday. The thing everyone is whinging about is a lack of midfield depth on the inside and Brayshaw was in everything.
Got many clearances, tackled well and spread to create forward thrusts. Also saw him working hard into defence to be front and square for mopping up duties.
Very impressed with Hogan. When he was on, not many marks were taken by defenders as he barrelled through every time and either marked or brought the footy to ground.
At one point he cannoned hard into hamlings back after he’d handballed. It was a hard hit and hamling took massive offence, jumping up quickly to remonstrate. He turned, grabbed the bloke who did it, saw it was Hogan, who apologised profusely and they hugged for about 15 seconds.
Sturt is a long way off AFL however, we saw some great glimpses of what he can offer. He needs a serious dose of confidence before he’ll improve greatly. When he calls for the Ball he sounds like a mouse.
Lobb was ordinary and they heaped a lot of s**t on him, especially when Cerra marked in front of him. Sonny’s banter when whites were shooting at goal was hilarious. “Hey Cez, it’s windy and you’ve got that big high dirty ball drop” was one of note.
Tabs was great in the air but is still pretty ordinary once the ball hits the deck but the addition of Swita is s thing of beauty. He will definitely play round 1.
I think if we had Wilson, Hill and Fyfe, we have a great starting set up.

Hogan in the midfield eh? Continuing the pattern of big Freo mids (Mundy, Fyfe) that goes all the way back to Pav. Mark Harvey was ahead of his time..who knew?

The other reason may be because they realise that that might be the best setup if we want to play more talls but can't risk having the ball swept away from defense bu fast smalls.

I am amazed by the lack of appreciation for Brayshaw’s Game yesterday. The thing everyone is whinging about is a lack of midfield depth on the inside and Brayshaw was in everything.
Got many clearances, tackled well and spread to create forward thrusts. Also saw him working hard into defence to be front and square for mopping up duties.
Very impressed with Hogan. When he was on, not many marks were taken by defenders as he barrelled through every time and either marked or brought the footy to ground.
At one point he cannoned hard into hamlings back after he’d handballed. It was a hard hit and hamling took massive offence, jumping up quickly to remonstrate. He turned, grabbed the bloke who did it, saw it was Hogan, who apologised profusely and they hugged for about 15 seconds.
Sturt is a long way off AFL however, we saw some great glimpses of what he can offer. He needs a serious dose of confidence before he’ll improve greatly. When he calls for the Ball he sounds like a mouse.
Lobb was ordinary and they heaped a lot of s**t on him, especially when Cerra marked in front of him. Sonny’s banter when whites were shooting at goal was hilarious. “Hey Cez, it’s windy and you’ve got that big high dirty ball drop” was one of note.
Tabs was great in the air but is still pretty ordinary once the ball hits the deck but the addition of Swita is s thing of beauty. He will definitely play round 1.
I think if we had Wilson, Hill and Fyfe, we have a great starting set up.

Loud smack of body on body...Jesse was not giving the contest the "it's only a scratchie" thing.

Sturt found himself off half back...it was a bit foreign I think.
He looked a bit lost but his ball use was neat, especially that pass to Tabs that resulted in a goal to Hogan

So if people were picking a Freo team to play today, who would they have as 3 small forwards? Assuming Walters is mostly midfield, would it be: Switta, Schultz, Banfield?

So if people were picking a Freo team to play today, who would they have as 3 small forwards? Assuming Walters is mostly midfield, would it be: Switta, Schultz, Banfield?

If it was based on yesterday, probably Colyer with Schultz and Switta and Banfield on the bench as a rotating midfielder

Logue Hamling Duman
Wilson Pearce Ryan
B Hill Mundy Langdon
Colyer Taberner Schultz
Switta Lobb Hogan

Darcy Fyfe Walters

Cerra Banfield Conca Brayshaw

Could easily Duman come out, Ryan push into a pocket Cerra go back flank and any one of North, Giro or Crowden slot onto the bench

Remove this Banner Ad

Back