Game Day Intraclub Match thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Shaun may have had a four day break when the players were in Tasmania.
He usually goes with the group to the NT however I didn't see him in any photos.
Shaun was in Tassie. Went Tenpin Bowling.

Success at last. O'Magnificent was you guessed it stunningly magnificent. Cousins was very good extracting the ball and also running hard to provide an option. Worpel was a strong contributor either winning the ball or applying pressure. Shiels was very good and looks like stepping up a gear to help offset the loss of Mitchell. Jones attacked the contest with ferocity and was good winning the ball and applying pressure. His disposal is improving. Morrison is not a big possession winner however his decision making and ball use is first class. Moore was busy in the forward 50 and is progressing well after his very good VFL final games. Puopolo looks to have found a new lease on life after battling with injuries last year. Down back Sicily was a real weapon with his sensational kicking skills and Impey was fantastic with his courage, run and carry. Brand played a solid game as did Hardwick and Stratton was good in the first half. McEvoy dominated the ruck in the first half and Ceglar was very good in the second half.

Based on the way Roughead has moved at training I think the criticism of Roughy is harsh. He was clearly focused on playing a team role and being a presence on the forward line. Our forward line structure was at times poor and there was a lot of banging the ball towards a large pack of players who tried to mark the ball or bring it to ground rather than knocking it into space for some outside runners like Moore, Puopolo, Bruest and Nash. I don't think helps Lewis who is far more effective in one on one contest and on a lead. There were better options to spot up players when we long bombed the ball to packs.

The other concern for me was the team defense which resulted in Sicily, Impey and Hardwick playing deep in defense on Curnow and McKay and being out marked. Also on a number of occasions our defenders were caught out with 2 on 1 contests within 20 metres of goal. The practice game should be a great learning tool and the JLT will be a better guide. The positive I took out of the game is the young players competing for a place in the mid field and the exciting display by O'Magnificent.

this pre-season has seen the continued development of some key youngsters going into 2019 and beyond, the VFL premiership heroes in D.Moore and Hanrahan, the low key potential star in Harry Jones, James Cousins looking to take the next step up, O'Meara keeping his good form from most of 2018, Worpel show casing his ability, Nash seeming more comfortable with the game, Minchington looks like another player who could surprise a few people.

Stratton seems to be cruising a bit in the pre-season games, but im sure he'll come back to form once the real stuff starts

good signs from the 2nd and 3rd year players for 2019 and out of the 2018 draftees i think we could see Greaves put in a good year at VFL level, he is the most likely to debut imo, Kosi, Walker and Golds being more likely to have full years at BHH developing.

the 2 surprise players who might sneak a debut this season are Harry Jones and Damon Greaves, (2 rookies)

of course the rest of the senior list is going well atm, except for a few injuries things are looking positive.

Some really good shots of the game in the carlton thread on thursdays game.

Don’t be tempted to post though, in the whole Carlton posters are level headed and not reactive

this pre-season has seen the continued development of some key youngsters going into 2019 and beyond, the VFL premiership heroes in D.Moore and Hanrahan, the low key potential star in Harry Jones, James Cousins looking to take the next step up, O'Meara keeping his good form from most of 2018, Worpel show casing his ability, Nash seeming more comfortable with the game, Minchington looks like another player who could surprise a few people.

Stratton seems to be cruising a bit in the pre-season games, but im sure he'll come back to form once the real stuff starts

good signs from the 2nd and 3rd year players for 2019 and out of the 2018 draftees i think we could see Greaves put in a good year at VFL level, he is the most likely to debut imo, Kosi, Walker and Golds being more likely to have full years at BHH developing.

the 2 surprise players who might sneak a debut this season are Harry Jones and Damon Greaves, (2 rookies)

of course the rest of the senior list is going well atm, except for a few injuries things are looking positive.

I personally think Minchington was a bit of a nothing recruitment, not sure what he brings to the table.

I personally think Minchington was a bit of a nothing recruitment, not sure what he brings to the table.
It may be as simple as a combination of AFL-ready body + Injury-History that we think we can fix + History of Poor Prep + Played out of Position = Unrealised Potential.

He did nothing at Saints as a Pressure Forward (except vs Geelong), yet I’ve read many times that he often killed it playing as a midfielder in VFL. Maybe fitness was an issue. Maybe consistency or that he couldn’t string games together? Maybe the pigeon-holed him as a Popeye-like small forward, b it didn’t appreciate Popeye’s skill-set & so they haven’t developed him properly?

I’ve no idea, but I reckon we think he has extra capacity in himself/his game that hasn’t been realised & so we’ve taken a punt with what is effectively a no-lose acquisition.

I actually don’t expect to see him come into the 1sts to cover an injury - I don’t think we acquired him as Squad Depth. I reckon we’ll play him at BHH all year & work on unlocking that potential, with a view to him coming into the side (in the future) in his own right.

2020, after his 2nd Pre-Season with us & with 12 months of learning our systems & we may see what he actually has to offer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The last couple of weeks Jarman Impey run and carry has been sensational. He is covering more ground and really making me think we have identified him as a Chance Bateman link up running machine.

I recall Clarko when we picked him up saying “we believe he has the attributes to be an A Grader at our club”

I believe he will be a huge improver this season and one to watch very closely.

If we can have Scully Impey Smith and Wingard all running amok in the same game one day we will cause some serious headaches to the opposition.

The last couple of weeks Jarman Impey run and carry has been sensational. He is covering more ground and really making me think we have identified him as a Chance Bateman link up running machine.

I recall Clarko when we picked him up saying “we believe he has the attributes to be an A Grader at our club”

I believe he will be a huge improver this season and one to watch very closely.

If we can have Scully Impey Smith and Wingard all running amok in the same game one day we will cause some serious headaches to the opposition.
It’s obvious that the arrival of Wingard has lifted him. Coming off the tragedy of losing his father a couple of years ago and then relocating back to VIC to be closer to family was always going to take him some time to settle and now having a close friend at the club settle him even more could be just the key ingredient to push him closer to that A grade status that Clarko sees. The best thing about it is that Wingard still has untapped potential so hopefully it’s a win win.

I still can’t believe we got the Chad!!!!
It’s criminal!
They was a thread on the main board from 2014 that has recently been bumped talking about the best player in the competition in 5 years (2019).

A lot of the talk was about O'meara and debate about whether Jaeger or Chad will be the best. And here we're with both of them primed the have a good 5 years together while also having the best player in the competition in Mitchell to return next year.

Jimp's breakaway speed will be invaluable. V Carton, they'd put some space behind him, Jimmy would do the kick in and in no time Jimp is taking a clear mark on the wing.

Jimp does need to step up. His final series was ordinary and he only had three or four strong games last year.

Jimp's breakaway speed will be invaluable. V Carton, they'd put some space behind him, Jimmy would do the kick in and in no time Jimp is taking a clear mark on the wing.

Jimp does need to step up. His final series was ordinary and he only had three or four strong games last year.

Jimp is so close to gimp. I’m looking forward to the cheer squad sign that reads “Bring out the Jimp!”

They was a thread on the main board from 2014 that has recently been bumped talking about the best player in the competition in 5 years (2019).

A lot of the talk was about O'meara and debate about whether Jaeger or Chad will be the best. And here we're with both of them primed the have a good 5 years together while also having the best player in the competition in Mitchell to return next year.

I've not read that thread, but being the main board, I can just imagine how the narrative will "self correct" now that they're both with us.
Crabs, spuds, pancakes, etc. Has beens, passed their best, broken down, too old(?), etc.​
Bit like Mitchell being a low impact crab when he was winning Brownlows and being a superstar as soon as he got injured​

Living the dream.
Oh c'mon Abasi there's nothing better than hurling a 15/16lb bowling ball down a lane at 10 unsuspecting pins! Great fun.

Anyhow, the Hawks ran a fundraiser at the local bowl while down here. Second year they have done this. Can't remember who the fundraiser was for, but it was a decent event, and the lads seemed to enjoy themselves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back