Golf Golf Clubs/Equipment Discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Playing off 24 and thinking of getting some new irons - have a Callaway XR driver and 3w which are the first additions to my ($500 all up) beginners set, now want to continue that replacement process.

Thinking Callaway Rogues or Taylormade m4's - probably a matter of going to my local shop and asking for a fitting though right? What other options are there in the game improvement category around the same price? Playing off a handicap of 24 right now...
Mizuno MMC irons should tick just about every box.

Playing off 24 and thinking of getting some new irons - have a Callaway XR driver and 3w which are the first additions to my ($500 all up) beginners set, now want to continue that replacement process.

Thinking Callaway Rogues or Taylormade m4's - probably a matter of going to my local shop and asking for a fitting though right? What other options are there in the game improvement category around the same price? Playing off a handicap of 24 right now...
Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metals

Are drivers and 3-woods considered harder to learn or hit for beginners? My irons are improving heaps at the range but for the life of me I cant hit the driver well, ever. Slices, pulls, duffs, random trajectories I wouldnt even have a name for and cant hit it over 115 yards. Yet with some of my irons I'm hitting them 155 and straight on occasion.

Not sure if this is a normal thing for noobs or if something weird about my setup and swing.

Last edited:

Are drivers and 3-woods considered harder to learn or hit for beginners? My irons are improving heaps at the range but for the life of me I cant hit the driver well, ever. Slices, pulls, duffs, trajectories I would even have a name for and cant hit it over 115 yards. Yet with some of my irons I'm hitting them 155 and straight on occasion.

Not sure if this is a normal thing for noobs or if something weird about my setup and swing.

Absolutely yes.

Fitting all the way!

Are drivers and 3-woods considered harder to learn or hit for beginners? My irons are improving heaps at the range but for the life of me I cant hit the driver well, ever. Slices, pulls, duffs, trajectories I would even have a name for and cant hit it over 115 yards. Yet with some of my irons I'm hitting them 155 and straight on occasion.

A session with a golfy pro will help you identify. Could be swing plane, grip, angle of attack, face etc.

Are drivers and 3-woods considered harder to learn or hit for beginners? My irons are improving heaps at the range but for the life of me I cant hit the driver well, ever. Slices, pulls, duffs, random trajectories I wouldnt even have a name for and cant hit it over 115 yards. Yet with some of my irons I'm hitting them 155 and straight on occasion.

Yes you have as wierd swing 🤣

Are the drives coming out low or high?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My 4-PW are Cleveland and my SW (56 degree) is Mizuno.

I'm not particularly picky or fancy to one brand, though, Pete.

I asked because although not a written rule generally wedges/irons are of the same brand as purchased at once. But yeah, we all have a mixed bag! I do too!

I think just rock up to a golf shop and try a few out. Thats the best way to go about it

I've got a $75 Drummond Golf voucher to use but struggling to decide what to get with it.

I've already got a stockpile of balls and tees etc.

The only thing I could really use is maybe a new pair of shoes or push buggy but I can't justify using it on either of those due to the ridiculous markups they seem to have on everything. Would rather spend more money and purchase these from Golfbox or something.

I've got a $75 Drummond Golf voucher to use but struggling to decide what to get with it.

I've already got a stockpile of balls and tees etc.

The only thing I could really use is maybe a new pair of shoes or push buggy but I can't justify using it on either of those due to the ridiculous markups they seem to have on everything. Would rather spend more money and purchase these from Golfbox or something.
Drummond have the price match Guarantee so i'd find whatever you're looking to buy, show Drummond the price and they'll match it, then use your $75 gift card.

Drummond have the price match Guarantee so i'd find whatever you're looking to buy, show Drummond the price and they'll match it, then use your $75 gift card.

1. Find cheaper price
2. Take it to drummond
3. drummond price match
4. ???????
5. profit!

Bought some new irons today, Srixon z585s and a couple of Cleveland wedges, a 50 degree and a 56.

Tried the Rogue Xs, M6s, AP1s and the 585s based on my fitting... first two just felt heavy and bulky, came down to the AP1s vs the 585's and the 585's gave me about 20m more distance at a much more consistent spread.

Now the two week wait to pick them up...

Bought some new irons today, Srixon z585s and a couple of Cleveland wedges, a 50 degree and a 56.

Tried the Rogue Xs, M6s, AP1s and the 585s based on my fitting... first two just felt heavy and bulky, came down to the AP1s vs the 585's and the 585's gave me about 20m more distance at a much more consistent spread.

Two weeks will feel like a lifetime. Torture at its finest.

Great choice! I’ll bet the 585’s had a better feel and looks as well. Can’t wait to hear how you get on with them.

Great choice! I’ll bet the 585’s had a better feel and looks as well. Can’t wait to hear how you get on with them.

In between now and picking them up I'm getting married so I think the time will fly - first weekend I'll get to use them is potentially club champs. In my bag until now were my original $500 full set of beginner clubs (bag included), reckon it's worth playing the irons for club champs, even if I have no idea what distances I'll hit them? I reckon I'll give it a go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back