Training 2019 preseason

Mar 25, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I just turned it back on and that half wasn’t a bad game of “footy”

24000 to a made up game that means nothing puts it in perspective.

This will be blasted as a bad crowd when AFLW would scream it as a fantastic crowd.

Ok we get it, but also understand where they are coming from. Give it time FFS.

Last time I checked, AFLW wasn’t meant to be a replacement for the AFL.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Ok we get it, but also understand where they are coming from. Give it time FFS.

Last time I checked, AFLW wasn’t meant to be a replacement for the AFL.

But why not give AFLX time?

Why can people say anything negative about AFLX and no one says boo but do the same to AFLW and the warriors scream?

I’m not particularly interested in either but shouldn’t they be given the same chance at success? I’d rather watch a hybrid game with skill than a real game with next to none but that’s just me.

And when our continue to use the words “elite” “superstar” and such you open ourself up to factual responses

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
l

Abbey Holmes goes alright, just quietly...

Can play a reasonable game of footy, too.

Ohhhhhh she was the young lady that played the EJ game.

Went pretty well that night too as I recall.

Is she a new boundary rider? I didn’t notice her at all

Mar 25, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
But why not give AFLX time?

Why can people say anything negative about AFLX and no one says boo but do the same to AFLW and the warriors scream?

I’m not particularly interested in either but shouldn’t they be given the same chance at success? I’d rather watch a hybrid game with skill than a real game with next to none but that’s just me.

And when our continue to use the words “elite” “superstar” and such you open ourself up to factual responses

I think anyone with half a brain can tell the difference between one competition created purely for entertainment and money as opposed to the highest standard of competition for women and young women to work towards being apart of.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think anyone with half a brain can tell the difference between one competition created purely for entertainment and money as opposed to the highest standard of competition for women and young women to work towards being apart of.

Sooooooooo exactly like BIG Bash?

Lol they can’t even see both sides it’s hilarious the dismay they drip at times.

Half a brain isn’t even relevent most times it’s obvious that’s an exaggeration but my point is stands

Mar 25, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Lol they can’t even see both sides it’s hilarious the dismay they drip at times.

Half a brain isn’t even relevent most times it’s obvious that’s an exaggeration but my point is stands

Did Australia not just play New Zealand yesterday and win ? I’m sure the BBL players that participated for the Australian side rated that game higher.

Flags_In_The_Bag

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Not a fan of overseas teams.....
Lachie Hunter went at 74.5% disposal efficiently last year with more kicks than handballs. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but that's probably the best in the league. For comparison that's 4% better than Bontempelli. Anyone who thinks Hunter is a poor kick or poor user of the footy has absolutely no idea what they're talking about.
I laugh when i see people putting him down, he will go another level this year.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Did Australia not just play New Zealand yesterday and win ? I’m sure the BBL players that participated for the Australian side rated that game higher.

I don’t know did they?

Coz I didn’t hear a thing about it

No surprise that a game by a national team is hidden in the white noise of the agenda du jour

Bemoreboyddog

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Difference being that cricket is quite a long day before BBL. AFL games and big bash games are comparable in time. BBL has a season. AFLX at its longest has been a weekend.

BBL teams at least represent something - a place. AFLX teams with the exception of team Deadly represent nothing and no-one.

People defending it have said that it’s marketed for kids. It was held on a Friday night. Who has the remote at home. Parents. Who decides if the family can go to the football? Parents. You’d think that AFL would probably try and spread their marketing.

People have also defending criticisms of AFLX putting players at needless risk by saying - the intensity isn’t that high and it’s more like a training run. Who can get excited by a training run?

Some fans will go to an NBA All Star game or NFL pro bowl game but no one is passionate about it because the players aren’t passionate about it. They don’t represent anything, there’s no passion, there’s no love there’s no hate. It’s just very generic.

Personally if I was Gil I would abandon AFLX and do something else. Could finally get state of origin going again. Could have a more meaningful pre-season competition again. Or you could have a weekend long tournament. Play it on full size AFL grounds but only have say 10 on the field at one time. Two ten minute halves a game. Round robin, finals, final. Tell clubs that at least 2 of their top 6 paid players have to play to ensure some star power for the weekend.

Find some sponsors so that you can have decent prize money for the tournament. Play it at the one ground for the whole weekend and release travel packages. Maybe even let some retired players play for their old clubs. So basically ripping off the NRL’s 9’s tournament.

AFLX isn’t all bad. I like the idea of great players from different clubs playing together. From the very brief amount I saw it was nice to see a lot of kids on the ground. I like the whole player draft idea. Also enjoyed players being able to rock up to work in something that isn’t dress shoes, slacks and club polo. Thought the Rock Paper Scissors gimmick wasn’t too bad either although obviously not something I’d want for season proper.

When the best reason for being that the marketing guru's at AFL house can come uo with when trying to sell their product is "its for the kids" you know they are struggling. Its tantamount to admitting that they know that they have been handed a turd and one step away from admitting failure. Im still yet to see a rationale for what the point of AFLX is other than this incredibly weak sauce. Im ambivalent about AFLW as I am with most sports outside AFL these days, however at least it has a purpose and a reason for being.

The AFL need to understand that there are actual limits to how much of the media cycle that they can dominate and with this confected nonsense, I think they may have just found it.

Mar 19, 2006
nowhere
AFL Club
Essendon
Lachie Hunter went at 74.5% disposal efficiently last year with more kicks than handballs. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but that's probably the best in the league. For comparison that's 4% better than Bontempelli. Anyone who thinks Hunter is a poor kick or poor user of the footy has absolutely no idea what they're talking about.

disposal efficiency tells only part of the story, which is, they are efficient at the disposals they try to execute.

the missing part of the story, which is also important, is what types of disposals they try to execute.

you can have very high DE if your kicks are short and lateral. that doesnt necessarily help your team but it makes your DE look great. im not saying thats what Hunter does, but i bet Bont's kicks are on average longer and/or more difficult to execute, ie going into F50 rather than coming out of D50 etc.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
disposal efficiency tells only part of the story, which is, they are efficient at the disposals they try to execute.

the missing part of the story, which is also important, is what types of disposals they try to execute.

you can have very high DE if your kicks are short and lateral. that doesnt necessarily help your team but it makes your DE look great. im not saying thats what Hunter does, but i bet Bont's kicks are on average longer and/or more difficult to execute, ie going into F50 rather than coming out of D50 etc.
Tell that to Matthew Suckling, takes the risky kicks because he knows he can, but he is the whipping boy that the
fans like to s**t can. The seasons getting close cause I am starting to rhyme, my friends get quite annoyed as i
do it all the time. Yo Out.

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania

Yes, but Im unaware of a more comprehensive stat and find it more reliable than the subjective and highly biased opinions of fans. Point me to a better objective measurement of how well a player uses the ball and Ill use that.

paulveed

Club Legend
Jan 3, 2010
traf e
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
liverpool
I'll grant that the women's game has a significant way to go, before the standard is in any way comparable to the men's. However given time [ provided AFL house doesn't b%gger it up in the interim], it may well be a really good comp. in the future. The 'X' thing on the other hand is simply far to gimmicky to ever amount to anything of any substance at all. I understand why they would like to develop a version of the sport for rectangular grounds, and foreign countries, but trying to sell it to AFL fans and players, in my opinion is both a step to far, and one in totally the wrong direction. One season ending injury to an A grade player, and the clubs will put an end to any participation so fast your head would spin. As it is, I'd be very surprised, if it is run next season, if other clubs don't follow Hawthorn's lead, and pull all their players out.

Perhaps if they run it using rookies, and players who just missed being picked up in the draft from the lower comps., it might have some small value, to look at players again who were close to selection getting an option to show something, competing against players they may not get the opportunity to compete with anywhere else.

King Harold

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Cleveland Indians
Yes, but Im unaware of a more comprehensive stat and find it more reliable than the subjective and highly biased opinions of fans. Point me to a better objective measurement of how well a player uses the ball and Ill use that.

forget all else Scrag -- ask me !
Stats said Daniel Cross was a good kick , but he was bloody shizen.

Back