Opinion Best 22 in 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Balta should play somewhere. The kid will be a gun. With Lynch 50/50 he is probably being trained there for JLT and maybe R1, with backup ruck duties.
He is a natural CHB. I can understand wanting to play Garthwaite, but to me Balta will be on another level once up and going.

With a fully fit list, I would like to see the following best 22

Grimes Astbury Vlas
Rance Balta Houli
Rioli Cotch Short
Butler Jack Edwards
George Lynch Lambo

Nank Dusty Prestia

Caddy Higgins Ellis Moore

Notes:

Backline seems tall but Balta is a supreme Athlete and Rance then gets deployed into the Broad Role but with more rebound
Balta can assist in the ruck
Wings - Both elite ball users who run all day, both can assist in clearing the ball form defence by footy and with elite run and carry.
Fwd line - 4 great runners and tacklers and our 2 guns KPF's
Mids - Thats our A grade combo IMO
Bench - 2 mids / fwds in Cads and Higgo , Ellis winger and HB with elite endurance, Moore to be a gap filler both forward and back but can also assist in the ruck if needed.

Last edited:
With a fully fit list, I would like to see the following best 22

Grimes Astbury Vlas
Rance Balta Houli
Rioli Cotch Short
Butler Jack Edwards
George Lynch Lambo

Nank Dusty Prestia

Caddy Higgins Ellis Moore

Notes:

Backline seems tall but Balta is a supreme Athlete and Rance then gets deployed into the Broad Role but with more rebound
Balta can assist in the ruck
Wings - Both elite ball users who run all day, both can assist in clearing the ball form defence by footy and with elite run and carry.
Fwd line - 4 great runners and tacklers and our 2 guns KPF's
Mids - Thats our A grade combo IMO
Bench - 2 mids / fwds in Cads and Higgo , Ellis winger and HB with elite endurance, Moore to be a gap filler both forward and back but can also assist in the ruck if needed.
I like that backline minus Houli.Have pushed that barrow a few times myself. And dont forget while both Broad and Grimes are talls both can and do play small in Grimes case he is probably our best sml defender.

Trouble is we have two young players ready to play in defense but one is training as a fwd. Reckon Garthwaite in Balta's role and Balta to a fwd pocket as a third tall fwd/ruck.

Would go something like this

Grimes - Astbury - Vlastuin. Like your back half very tall so i reckon broad could miss to allow more run and rebound probably Houli.
Broad - Garthwaite - Rance.

Rioli - Martin - Lambert. Give me Lambert over Short in the midfield everyday.. Imo its time to try a player like Rioli further up the ground.
Nankervis - Cotchin - Prestia

Butler - Riewoldt - Edwards. Three small fwds but which three is the question. Balta plays fwd and gives us the needed ruck chop out we need.He plays in
Balta - Lynch - Castagna/Bolton. Caddys spot and can rotate with him in the fwd half.

Caddy - RC-D - Ross - Higgins. All mids providing much needed size and run.Higgins and Caddy provide fwd half rotations.

Notable absentees
Ellis, Grigg, McIntosh, Short, Graham.
Ellis and McIntosh on form are no brainers imo. No place for Short not with his defensive issues and there are much better midfield options.
Graham is stiff but he needs to develop the his game and find a bit more ball than he does. Grigg well also stiff but time to bite the bullet and give his spot a genuine inside bull.
Inclusions
Lynch, Balta, Garthwaite, RC-D, Ross.

Lynch gives us the needed second kpf. Balta gives us flexability and the needed second ruck option. RC-D and Ross give us needed size in the midfield and quite simply Garthwaite has earnt a decent go at it imo. One last thing we need to get games into as many youngsters as we can fit into the side.

Last edited:

FB: Grimes, Astbury, Vlastuin
HB: Short, Garthwaite, Rance
C: Lambert, Cotchin, B. Ellis
HF: Caddy, Riewoldt, Rioli
FF: Butler, Lynch, Edwards
R: Nankervis, Martin, Prestia
I: Higgins, Graham, Markov, Weller

Garthwaite or Balta to take Rance’s position as the second key defender and provide ruck relief. Going with Garthwaite for now, but both should be trialled in this role as there is an opportunity for us to play an additional tall in defence, especially with the new rules. Rance to play the Jake Lever/Josh Gibson role and chop off everything while supporting Garthwaite or Balta/Astbury. Could also throw Garth/Balta forward while putting Jack on a wing. We have options with Lynch now. I hope we get creative.

B. Ellis has always been our best wingman. The coaches have realised he belongs in the midfield and have rightfully made the call to send him back into the engine room. I’m expecting significant improvement and huge numbers from B. Ellis this year. It makes perfect sense to have your best endurance runner playing as an outside mid. No reason why he can’t have similar output to Scully, Hill, Smith, Gaff, Hannebery, etc. who are all aerobic beasts. In fact, he has already proven that he can. Grigg (too slow, over the hill, poor skills, ruck experiment is done) and McIntosh (poor skills, poor decision maker, not prolific enough) are out of the side.

George is gone as well. Don’t need him flying at contests and spraying set shots anymore. Caddy can do what George did last season to a much higher standard and will rotate with Dusty, Graham, Prestia, Cotchin, Lambert, etc. Rioli and Butler to both have stints in the middle and Higgins to be predominantly midfield.

Weller hard tags plus offers grunt around stoppages. Always goes to the opposition’s most creative/damaging midfielder. Graham to get off the leash and play the free attacking role he played against the Bulldogs last year (20 touches and 3 goals). Graham shouldn’t tag again, ever. Larke medalist. Give him freedom to hunt the pill.

Markov and Short to provide rebound in defence. Markov offers a point of difference (see a bit of Brayden Maynard in him) and I think Houli is about to fall off a cliff so time to add some fresh blood. I’m still happy with Short. He needs to learn how to defend but we were criticising Houli for similar things early on in his career. Short is not yet the final product. He has scope for improvement and looks like he has beefed up a bit which will help him with one on ones.

Overall I’ve gone for a taller and more skilful side and got rid of sloppy users and basically anyone who butchers it by foot. No more Conca, Castagna, Broad, McIntosh and Grigg. Houli admittedly has a nice shoe but it’s time to phase him out and add some youth.

I think while we are in possession we will aim to play with more ball retention this year and move it more methodically. There will be less chaos and forcing the ball forward at all costs because we have serious marking options up forward now. When we don’t have the ball it will still be that intense all over the ground pressure that Nathan Buckley and Collingwood FC introduced into the competition last year ;)

Going with a bit of a different try, based on the changes required for the new rules...Not sure if this will work or how long it'll be tried for, but I think we will take a punt at something like this.

Back 6: Astbury, Rance, Grimes, Short, Houli, Vlastuin

Mid 6: Soldo, Cotchin, Martin, Lambert, Prestia, Rioli, Grigg

Forward 6: Reiwoldt, Lynch, Nankervis, Butler, Castagna, Higgins

Bench: Broad, Caddy, Edwards, Graham

Next up: B.Ellis (and adjust lineup if he can't slot straight back in), otherwise based on form and position, although if Lynch doesn't come up, replace him with a small.

--------
Push Jack or Nank up the ground as soon as the ball is bounced, so we 'only' have 2 tall forwards and a tall mid (well, 2 with Soldo).
Drop a mid (Grigg/Lambert?) back as soon as the ball is bounced (or Broad if he's on) in order to give us a 7-6-5 setup during play.

Last edited:
Some interesting points raised re best 22. Keen to see how it all unfolds over the next couple of months.

I think more importantly than best 22 will be game plan and structural changes. Two in particular:

1/ Ruck
2/ Contested ball winning ability.

I am a huge fan of Nankervis and the role he plays. I'm an ex old ruck who understands how difficult it is for him as a sole undersized ruck. He does a fantastic job for the team week in, week out. HOWEVER, the ruck rule changes and the 6:6:6 mid changes will make winning the center clearance vital to not place the defense under extreme heat. He is not a tap winning ruck from centre clearances. How we structure up around this will be interesting for mine..

Which leads into contested ball clearances from the middle. Our game plan has not relied on winning contested ball from the middle but I feel the 6:6:6 changes will mean a change to that. We have a gun starting mid but will need to change the way we play to take advantage.

I like Rioli on a wing. He can play an Edwards role for us if he steps up. I also think Caddy becomes key playing more minutes in the midfield this year. Big body who can help win the contested ball. Does anyone know with which group he's been training with over summer...forwards or mids?

Also keen to see Graham in his 3rd year. He is one who can greatly assist in contested ball wins. Not a high possession winner to date but excels at applying pressure. If he can step up and win 20 possesies a game, will go a long way to feeding it out to our runners.

Some interesting points raised re best 22. Keen to see how it all unfolds over the next couple of months.

I think more importantly than best 22 will be game plan and structural changes. Two in particular:

1/ Ruck
2/ Contested ball winning ability.

I am a huge fan of Nankervis and the role he plays. I'm an ex old ruck who understands how difficult it is for him as a sole undersized ruck. He does a fantastic job for the team week in, week out. HOWEVER, the ruck rule changes and the 6:6:6 mid changes will make winning the center clearance vital to not place the defense under extreme heat. He is not a tap winning ruck from centre clearances. How we structure up around this will be interesting for mine..

Which leads into contested ball clearances from the middle. Our game plan has not relied on winning contested ball from the middle but I feel the 6:6:6 changes will mean a change to that. We have a gun starting mid but will need to change the way we play to take advantage.

I like Rioli on a wing. He can play an Edwards role for us if he steps up. I also think Caddy becomes key playing more minutes in the midfield this year. Big body who can help win the contested ball. Does anyone know with which group he's been training with over summer...forwards or mids?

Also keen to see Graham in his 3rd year. He is one who can greatly assist in contested ball wins. Not a high possession winner to date but excels at applying pressure. If he can step up and win 20 possesies a game, will go a long way to feeding it out to our runners.
I think our centre clearance stats weren't too bad. It was other clearances that we don't do well in. As you say our fwd line rotating through the middle should help. Starting with Caddy.

I think our centre clearance stats weren't too bad. It was other clearances that we don't do well in. As you say our fwd line rotating through the middle should help. Starting with Caddy.

From the article:

They're 11th in the competition for centre clearances won and are 17th in centre square hit-outs to advantage.

https://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-15/your-teams-centre-square-stars

Need to find a way to improve our clearances imo given the 6:6:6 introduction.

Caddy is injured but I included for round one, otherwise replaced by Moore.

F Butler Riewoldt Higgins
Rioli Caddy Weller
Edwards Lambert Prestia
Houli Vlaustin Broad
Astbury Rance Grimes
Foll Nankervis Martin Cotchin
I Ellis Graham McIntosh Soldo

Castagna, Grigg, Lynch, injuries.

The difference is those guys needed to cause we had very few options.

Ross and RCD dont need to, we can build them up.
just dont agree with tht at all,

Martin played straight away because he was big enough and good enough. Same goes for Vlastuin a solid safe bet who was always going to play straight away.We had plenty of midfield options and plenty sml fwd options but still put games into the likes of Conca Ellis and Rioli.

Besides it is not as if all of our players have been unreplacable some have been downright ordinary. Depth will remain a problem until we get games into the plethora of young players on the list.

RC-D, Balta, Garthwaite, Moore, Ross are clearly ready to go physically and going by Sydney Stacks performances he is as well. They all address weaknesess in the team so its not as if we dont need to.

would love this for R1:-

B Vlastuin Rance Grimes
HB Balta Astbury Houli
C Prestia Lambert Edwards
HF Rioli Riewoldt Higgins
F Caddy Lynch Butler
R Nank Martin Cotchin
I Graham, CCJ, Short, RCD

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really like the look of Garthwaite - he looks like a great prospect. The idea of Garth and Astbury playing as the 2 KPDs with Rance patrolling in Broad's spot really jumps out at me.

Obviously there's the horses for courses component to this happening, but I'd love to see it play out a few times this year against the big forward lines - Adelaide, West Coast etc.
Garthwaite makes for such an interesting case, I know I’m comparing a premiership player to a 20yo who’s only played two games.

However I think Garthwaite will be a better player than Broad by the time he’s had 20 games under his belt. But, Garthwaite really is a lock down defender who offers very little rebound from the backline. Broad is much more of a roaming medium defender who can offer run out of the backline, we just won’t get that from Garthwaite.

We’ll lose way to much run and be to slow down back if we play all of Rance, Astbury, Grimes and Garthwaite as they’re all defenders who play tall.

Garthwaite will get his opportunities and now that he’s genuinely next in line any time one of Rance, Grimes or Astbury don’t play he’ll be straight into the side.

Garthwaite makes for such an interesting case, I know I’m comparing a premiership player to a 20yo who’s only played two games.

However I think Garthwaite will be a better player than Broad by the time he’s had 20 games under his belt. But, Garthwaite really is a lock down defender who offers very little rebound from the backline. Broad is much more of a roaming medium defender who can offer run out of the backline, we just won’t get that from Garthwaite.

We’ll lose way to much run and be to slow down back if we play all of Rance, Astbury, Grimes and Garthwaite as they’re all defenders who play tall.

Garthwaite will get his opportunities and now that he’s genuinely next in line any time one of Rance, Grimes or Astbury don’t play he’ll be straight into the side.
If Rance can play a more attacking role, he is an improvement on Broad, who became the epitome of dour last year. Grimes takes small fwds all the time. Garth has a few cm on Broad too. A point of difference

From the article:

They're 11th in the competition for centre clearances won and are 17th in centre square hit-outs to advantage.

https://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-15/your-teams-centre-square-stars

Need to find a way to improve our clearances imo given the 6:6:6 introduction.
But looking at afl.com stats for 2018. Were were 4th in centre clearances behind Collingwood, Melb & WCE. On one hand is not as bad, but on the other 2 of those teams played off in the GF. Clearance stats had us 17th in the league

But looking at afl.com stats for 2018. Were were 4th in centre clearances behind Collingwood, Melb & WCE. On one hand is not as bad, but on the other 2 of those teams played off in the GF. Clearance stats had us 17th in the league

So we were probably the worst team from stoppages in the league. Kingsley should be able to fix this up :devil:

Those stats may include finals which would push up our numbers. I'm pretty certain we were average at best re centre clearances.

Regardless, seems like we both agree improvement required.

Those stats may include finals which would push up our numbers. I'm pretty certain we were average at best re centre clearances.

Regardless, seems like we both agree improvement required.
A fit and firing Graham & Prestia would improve us instantly. Graham looked ready to play based on the intra club matc. Dusty & Lambert fit again. Caddy,(when he as recovered) Rioli & Ellis playing around the middle more is a lot of talent. Plus Weller looks ready to roll. Amongst all that if we can get Grigg transitioned out & maybe games into new draftees. Be interesting how they cover Griggs injury. Id love Balta to get a game or 2. I know people reckon he's a natural KPD, but I see him as Grigg replacement first.
None of that helps with ruck stats. But I reckon they will stay with just Nank and beef up the midfield a bit that would be a good start. JR really loves the ruck contest in the fwd deep in the fwd line. He sees a chance to kick goals. Nank to ruck middle and back 1/2. Where he provides marking power too. When Lynch plays he does a bit of boundary ruck work

If Rance can play a more attacking role, he is an improvement on Broad, who became the epitome of dour last year. Grimes takes small fwds all the time. Garth has a few cm on Broad too. A point of difference
Agree, Broad averaged about 10 disposals a game last season. Unless he can get that up to about 15 he offers nothing offensively. We have half a line-up of young players who can step in to half back (who we need to see if they can play), or Garth or Balta as key backs with Rance used more offensively.

I like what Broad can bring to the table, aggressive, tall, quick, but unless he does a Grimes and increases his marking and rebounding then he will be pushed out. The weakest link in a very strong backline.

My suggestion is that Rance would play the roaming 3rd man defender role. He's just as, if not quicker, than Broad and obviously a much better player defensively. Rance's disposal is also fantastic. Would have Garth and Gastroberry playing the 2 lock down KPD roles. Imagine Rance roaming third man up..

My starting lineup would be this, great round one side with some depth unfortunately not getting a game, but you can’t pick everyone! Positive signs for 2019!

B Vlaustin Rance Grimes

HB Houli Astbury Short

C Lambert Prestia Edwards

F Caddy Lynch Butler

R Nankervis Martin Cotchin

IC Graham, Broad, Castagna, Balta

Let me know what you think!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

My starting lineup would be this, great round one side with some depth unfortunately not getting a game, but you can’t pick everyone! Positive signs for 2019!

B Vlaustin Rance Grimes

HB Houli Astbury Short

C Lambert Prestia Edwards

F Caddy Lynch Butler

R Nankervis Martin Cotchin

IC Graham, Broad, Castagna, Balta

Let me know what you think!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah close to my side I’d say. Don’t know if Caddy Lynch Castagna are there Rd 1 though.

I’d have BEllis, McIntosh and Weller in if that’s the case. Dusty, Weller and even McIntosh giving JR8 a chop out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some weird weird weird team selections.

Would rather play a first gamer than see any of Houli, Markov or Ellis play. None of these are material to winning, so would rather pump games into an elite draftee.

Our team needs a second ruck option. It wont be Lynch. Or Grigg.

Castagna's career is over. Wont play unless injury to Caddy, Lynch, Jack or Rioli.

Short is a squib, but will be one of the first selected. Broad plays too, forget Garthwaite.

LMAO off at campaigners not having Astbury. 17 other clubs will be licking his balls between now and September.

Macintosh over Grigg. Graham starts round 1 (barring injury) but needs to earn a game better this year. Has photos of Dimma.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back