News Co-Captains: Walker and Sloane

Remove this Banner Ad

That's what I was thinking. Apart from Mrouch, Talia (27) and Lynch (28) are the only ones in that group who will be under 29 when the season starts.
There has quite often been a comment made around divisions in the playing group at AFC along the lines of age and 'respect' levels within the club. It is something I suspect has existed for a long time.
One of my concerns is how often we see this with contract negotiations (or did in the past at least), where youngsters are expected to take a hit while the elders cash in. I believe this has led to some of the departures we have seen over the years.

With this particular leadership group, I can't for the life of me understand how we can have so many from the same age group. Is there no-one else worth it?? Surely we have some youngsters we think have leadership ability we want to bring in to the fold. Douglas has had his chance, there is no point him being part of the group (surprised we didn't include Otten!). Same with Jenkins and even Lynch.

Those guys should be demonstrating leadership regardless of official positions.

What we should have is a mixture. Laird, B Smith, Greenwood, Knight, Brown, Milera, Doedee should all be in the mix with 1 from each 3 year age group included.

My group would be;

Player (Year of birth)
Walker (90)
Sloane (90)

Talia (91)
Greenwood (92)
Laird (93)
M Crouch (95)
Doedee (or Milera) (97)

Plenty of experience, most age groups represented and most (or all) likely to be in first group picked.

Now, I don't know if Greenwood or Laird are good leaders or not, but they can be guided surely?

Would have preferred another younger player in there instead of Douglas, maybe Laird or Smith. Or even Greenwood. just don't see Dougy playing every game this year with the crop of youngsters coming through.
There in lies the issue. We don't see Douglas playing every game. The coaches see otherwise.

Out of the 33 youngest players on our list, only 1 (Mrouch) is in the leadership group.

Out of the 11 oldest players on our list, 6 are in the leadership group (Betts, Jacobs, Mackay, Gibbs & Otten the 5 who aren't).

Is there any way it could be wrong?

If it's a true player vote, no. They are deciding on their leaders. Seems the right process to me.

If there's no vote and our admin decides, then yeah.

Ultimately it's a meaningless title and I'd expect most of our senior players to show leadership

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it's a true player vote, no. They are deciding on their leaders. Seems the right process to me.

If there's no vote and our admin decides, then yeah.

Ultimately it's a meaningless title and I'd expect most of our senior players to show leadership
It makes sense the majority of the leaders are the more senior players.

Younger guys need to learn their game first before worrying about everyone else.

A big part of leadership, in anything not just football, is experience and acquired knowledge.

If a leader cant relate to someone based on age, they are not that good a leader. In an AFL context that gap is merely a few years. Not a real gap at all. In the real world the gap between a leader/manager and staff can be a generation.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Is there any way it could be wrong?
No. By definition, the players know who they want to be their leaders. We may have opinions, but there's no "right/wrong".

I notice on the Port board they're lolling about JJ being in the leadership group, and how none of the leaders are native South Australians. Made me wonder - pick 7 Port players as a leadership group, and would that group look as good as ours? I kind of doubt it. Just as we've got two standout captains instead of 2 compromise captains.

Now, I don't know if Greenwood or Laird are good leaders or not, but they can be guided surely?
Maybe they are being guided...ready to take up an official leadership role when they are ready.

This isn't Port Adelaide (Wines) or Melbourne (Trengrove)

I understand the worry that they're all in our senior demographic, but there's no use throwing names around as to who we think should be there. We have no idea. Crouch is the only younger player that we know has the qualities.

Douglas is a really worrying part of that lot, especially seeing the potential it impacts on selection.

That it is someone who we need a fair bit of flexibility to be able to replace as painfully as possible in case the cliff comes. Something I'd expect to happen this year seeing there were some worrying moments last year.

No. By definition, the players know who they want to be their leaders. We may have opinions, but there's no "right/wrong".

I notice on the Port board they're lolling about JJ being in the leadership group, and how none of the leaders are native South Australians. Made me wonder - pick 7 Port players as a leadership group, and would that group look as good as ours? I kind of doubt it. Just as we've got two standout captains instead of 2 compromise captains.

Port Powers should get some runs on the board before their supporters start lolling at others. And I don’t mean Feb premierships.

I am a little surprised at a couple of our inclusions but the players vote on it, if that’s who they want who am I to disagree.

As PJ said, just win and nobody will give a flying rats tossbag.

When the players previously voted in Brad Symes was that all good? No right and wrong?

Or is the group our players selected an indication of their mindset - defer to older players, don't rock the boat, wait your turn. Are there not many players 21-25 years of age who are ready to step up and take the club with them? Stamp their influence on the team, club and competition.

Do we not develop leadership among our young players? Do our younger players hang back? Are they not encouraged to stand up as leaders? Are our players not encouraged to make bold, adventurous and forward looking choices? In 2010 we had Goody as captain and appointed a similar leadership group: Brad Symes, Scott Stevens, Nathan van Berlo, Ben Rutten, Michael Doughty, Brett Burton and Tyson Edwards. Our choices this year have a similarly conservative vibe.

Talia as an example - surely after his injury plagued 2018 and now his injury plagued preseason - would be an ideal candidate to NOT be in the leadership group. Needs to devote absolutely 100% of his energy into his own fitness and extending his own career. Skip sessions as required. Basically stick to his own individual training program rather than be front and centre leading others.

I wonder if there is some sort of financial bonus for players (s)elected into these positions?

I saw a pic of the St Kilda leadership group and LOL'd.

Roberton's coming off heart surgery, Hannebery potentially cooked and supposedly enjoys his nose beers. I'm not sure Tim Membrey has ever been the answer when the question has been about leadership.

Jarryn Geary is a good honest footballer and Seb Ross looks like he could become a solid B+/A- level player, but neither of them really inspire me.
3ebe552c6536e8ff41f0e21be8908ab3.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back