Taylor Adams significant finger injury

Remove this Banner Ad

So between the two extremes round 6 or round 2 be somewhere in the middle...

Just for fun let’s see if it’s glass half full or half empty.
From where I view it, it's glass half empty. How anyone can see a positive in Taylor Adams missing the first 2-4 weeks of the season is beyond my wildest imagination.

Next?!

Right, let them drop like flies then. We can cover any injury losses in our midfield. Actually, the less players we have available, the better we seem to do. Keep them coming.
I think the point is not to panic. It would be better if he were not injured, but we can cover him.

We managed ok last year.

From where I view it, it's glass half empty. How anyone can see a positive in Taylor Adams missing the first 2-4 weeks of the season is beyond my wildest imagination.

Next?!
To quote Jules Winfield to Vincent Vega:

• You’re judging this sh... the wrong way.

(Nobody wants to see injured players but it happens, and when it does, doesn’t mean the world is nigh, you take the medicine, recover, in the mean time, next soldier up.
That simple.)

Rupert Wills will be licking his lips at this news...NOW he has the opportunity, let's hope he's fit enough to show us what he's got.

Pretty weak Freo midfield too. Langdon, Walters and Tucker are the starting centre clearance mids. Big opportunity!

If this werent JLT, and was for premiership points, i'd probably have Beams in for Adams, Sidebottom on ball and keep Mayne on a wing though.

Option a) immediate surgery, and given it is your finger you won't lose fitness and would be recovered in time for the first round of the season
Option b) delay and see what happens, knowing that if it doesn't heal itself we will need the surgery, and given we have waited you will probably miss games.

Personally, I'd recommend a) every day of the week. There is no downside to getting it done (no fitness downside) yet there is downside of b if it doesn't heal itself, which is what we are seeing now.
Agree. The guy is a professional sportsman who needs to use his hands.

If it was a normal John Doe then you would probably try the let it heal on its own scenario first. But a footballer in an industry where they like to have operations in the off season to clear the small niggling injuries, it should have been a no brainer in my opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree. The guy is a professional sportsman who needs to use his hands.

If it was a normal John Doe then you would probably try the let it heal on its own scenario first. But a footballer in an industry where they like to have operations in the off season to clear the small niggling injuries, it should have been a no brainer in my opinion.
I'd agree with you if surgery waa always risk and complication free, but my unknowledable understanding is that surgery contains risk and complications are pretty common. Someone suggested that he needs a bone graft. I'm pretty sure that there is a fair failure rate with bone grafts.

Next?!
It's crap that it happened but it's not like our entire team falls apart without him.

I'd agree with you if surgery waa always risk and complication free, but my unknowledable understanding is that surgery contains risk and complications are pretty common. Someone suggested that he needs a bone graft. I'm pretty sure that there is a fair failure rate with bone grafts.
Like you I’m not an expert on surgery but I would have thought with the huge number of surgeries going on, the success rate is pretty high.

The way you surmise it above makes it sound as if he’s screwed regardless and we won’t see him for ages.

Like you I’m not an expert on surgery but I would have thought with the huge number of surgeries going on, the success rate is pretty high.

The way you surmise it above makes it sound as if he’s screwed regardless and we won’t see him for ages.
That's not what I'm trying to suggest. I'm just suggesting that there is a reason why the 'conservative' approach is called the conservative approach - it's safer. Avoiding surgery when there is a fair chance of the condition healing itself is the way to go. Only have it when the condition isn't or can't self repair.

Next?!

It's not great but it's hardly a big deal either. We've brought in Beams. Sier is demanding more midfield minutes. We can even keep Sidebottom on ball and leave Mayne hanging out on a wing. We can absorb the loss of Adams for a few rounds pretty easily I reckon.

It's not great but it's hardly a big deal either. We've brought in Beams. Sier is demanding more midfield minutes. We can even keep Sidebottom on ball and leave Mayne hanging out on a wing. We can absorb the loss of Adams for a few rounds pretty easily I reckon.
at face value yes and in isolation yes, but we have a tough first month including matches against geelong, richmond, essendon, and some other players likely not available / fit as well.. I wouldn't want anymore hits to our best 22 against those teams, otherwise we risk being back in the pack pretty quickly...

If he needs a bone graft then how on earth was that going to heal naturally...

Great to hear there is no longer any potential downside to surgery. I’ll alert the medical fraternity who will now start fusing Adamantium to everyone’s spines.

Great to hear there is no longer any potential downside to surgery. I’ll alert the medical fraternity who will now start fusing Adamantium to everyone’s spines.
I won’t tell the medical profession about the bloke I knew, went in for leg surgery went home sans leg.

(Just a flesh wound there chaps)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back