Oppo Camp Non Eagles AFL discussion thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont follow basketball but doesn't it get a bit boring following a club that successful?

Yeah the thought of WCE going onto a period of sustained success is my deepest fear.

The 10 win streak was bad enough. Could you imagine how horrible that would of been if it was a 20 or 30 win streak?

Yeah the thought of WCE going onto a period of sustained success is my deepest fear.

The 10 win streak was bad enough. Could you imagine how horrible that would of been if it was a 20 or 30 win streak?
We're not talking a dominant season or two. If West Coast never missed the finals and featured in the GF 50% of the time winning a flag on average every 3 years it would get a bit lame.

I dont follow basketball but doesn't it get a bit boring following a club that successful?

No. The roster has different pieces each year, the other clubs get better. It’s not like the Wildcats run away with it and sweep their way to victory every year. Just a damn good team that has a target on its back every game, every season, and usually stands up to the pressure.

People (Victorian pundits) were tipping the Wildcats to miss the finals this year, because they ‘only’ used two of the three import roster spots. People were calling for the coach to be sacked during a mid season form slump. There’s a great deal of adversity, they just overcome it. The Cats were 0-3 in Melbourne coming into today and absolute smashed the reigning champs to seal the series.

Not like some European leagues where one club outspends the others on a gargantuan scale and just buys a title every year.

We're not talking a dominant season or two. If West Coast never missed the finals and featured in the GF 50% of the time winning a flag on average every 3 years it would get a bit lame.

Serious question - why? If you’re doing it in a league where there’s a salary cap, everyone’s playing under the same conditions, you just excel every year, whys that an issue?

I was bored of Hawthorn, same as I’m sure NBL fans are bored of the Wildcats, but for the Hawks fans it would have been just absolute bliss. It was annoying, but you did just have to take your hat off and acknowledge that’s a damn good team.

Why is sustained success a bad thing?

Serious question - why? If you’re doing it in a league where there’s a salary cap, everyone’s playing under the same conditions, you just excel every year, whys that an issue?

I was bored of Hawthorn, same as I’m sure NBL fans are bored of the Wildcats, but for the Hawks fans it would have been just absolute bliss. It was annoying, but you did just have to take your hat off and acknowledge that’s a damn good team.

Why is sustained success a bad thing?
I suppose I would lose interest as there doesn't seem to be the challenge anymore. Probably different for others. I mean it's great for banter against opposition supporters but the actual enjoyment of the game would lessen.

I suppose I would lose interest as there doesn't seem to be the challenge anymore. Probably different for others. I mean it's great for banter against opposition supporters but the actual enjoyment of the game would lessen.

You’ve made the assumption there isn’t a challenge.

I see why people would be bored with the Golden State Warriors winning every year. They took advantage of a once in a lifetime salary cap spike and added arguably the best player on earth to a team that set the all-time wins record a year before. From there, I get why it wouldn’t seem like a challenge, and why nobody is really that impressed they win titles. Of course they do, they’re paying an all star team to play against regular teams.

I see why a team like Paris St German or Man City winning every year could be boring - they’d outspend every other team by about a million to one, so who cares.

If this Eagles group rattled off a three or four peat, it wouldn’t be due to a lack of challenge. They’d have to overcome absolutely heaps to continue to have championship level success. Salary cap, travel, away Grand Finals every year. If we won the next 10 grand finals, it wouldn’t be because there suddenly wasn’t a challenge. I can see how the fifth straight premiership might not truly be as enjoyable as overcoming a 60 year drought to claim one, but it would still be far better than bottoming out just so you can feel something different.

Repeatedly being the team that wins doesn’t automatically mean there wasn’t adversity to overcome.

No. The roster has different pieces each year, the other clubs get better. It’s not like the Wildcats run away with it and sweep their way to victory every year. Just a damn good team that has a target on its back every game, every season, and usually stands up to the pressure.

People (Victorian pundits) were tipping the Wildcats to miss the finals this year, because they ‘only’ used two of the three import roster spots. People were calling for the coach to be sacked during a mid season form slump. There’s a great deal of adversity, they just overcome it. The Cats were 0-3 in Melbourne coming into today and absolute smashed the reigning champs to seal the series.

Not like some European leagues where one club outspends the others on a gargantuan scale and just buys a title every year.

Personally I’m not going to rate the Wildcats until they can win at the MCG :moustache:

WCErevival has a point. Bayern Munich (German soccer) have won six titles in a row, and are a fair chance to grab a seventh. Golden State Warriors in the NBA have won three of the last four titles, are likely to win a fifth and the year they lost in there, they grabbed the greatest regular season record of all time.

WCErevival has a point. Bayern Munich (German soccer) have won six titles in a row, and are a fair chance to grab a seventh. Golden State Warriors in the NBA have won three of the last four titles, are likely to win a fifth and the year they lost in there, they grabbed the greatest regular season record of all time.
Nah you ride it out while you can, you think Bulls fans wouldn't give everything to be as successful now as they were in the 90s?
Besides halfway through the season everyone was saying the Wildcats were going to miss the finals, not like they dominated the entire year and were outright favourites. They just have the advantage of longevity, good support and being an extremely well run club in a very unstable league (over the years).

Yes, but that set of results is different to an AFL or NBL set of results. The Warriors winning is boring. Bayern Munich winning is boring. They have, at most, two legitimate challengers per year. Same as Rangers and Celtic - nobody else is even a chance. These are teams who operate on a completely different level to the entirety of their competition, largely due to finances.

Golden State have more talent than ever thought possible due to a freak salary cap spike. The successful soccer clubs in Europe simply spend more and again have more talent.

In a league as regulated as the AFL, in which dynasties should be harder to come by, I would have no issue and feel no guilt whatsoever for the Eagles rattling off 10 straight flags. We can’t overspend, we have to travel further than anyone else, we’ll always play the grand final at an away venue. There are no mechanisms that give us an unfair advantage.

Give me a consistently good, well run organisation over peaks and troughs so each season feels a bit different. The implication, that just because you win a lot means you didn’t earn it, is incorrect. It’s case by case, and in the Wildcats case they’ve overcome plenty. It being their ninth title can’t take the shine off what a stellar effort this season was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My cricket club is the same. We've won 8 premierships in a row but every week we barely make an XI, we always do just enough to make finals and somehow find a way to stumble over the line. We've by no means been a dominant team every season, we've just stood up when it counted.

You’ve made the assumption there isn’t a challenge.

I see why people would be bored with the Golden State Warriors winning every year. They took advantage of a once in a lifetime salary cap spike and added arguably the best player on earth to a team that set the all-time wins record a year before. From there, I get why it wouldn’t seem like a challenge, and why nobody is really that impressed they win titles. Of course they do, they’re paying an all star team to play against regular teams.

I see why a team like Paris St German or Man City winning every year could be boring - they’d outspend every other team by about a million to one, so who cares.

If this Eagles group rattled off a three or four peat, it wouldn’t be due to a lack of challenge. They’d have to overcome absolutely heaps to continue to have championship level success. Salary cap, travel, away Grand Finals every year. If we won the next 10 grand finals, it wouldn’t be because there suddenly wasn’t a challenge. I can see how the fifth straight premiership might not truly be as enjoyable as overcoming a 60 year drought to claim one, but it would still be far better than bottoming out just so you can feel something different.

Repeatedly being the team that wins doesn’t automatically mean there wasn’t adversity to overcome.

I don’t hate watching Golden State win as much as some. Warriors took advantage of the salary cap spike and got Durant, but part of the reason he chose them was the team culture. Other than Draymond being a bit of a dick sometimes, it’s almost always a team first approach and little drama.

LeBron lead teams in contrast almost always have drama and bitching playing out.

My mrs bombers supporting brother and father last night had no idea who Jamie Cripps was, is this sickening behaviour ?

Nope as both a Wildcats and Patriots Fan I can assure wining champions doesn’t get boring .

Just want West Coast to have a similar reign of terror .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back