Liam Ryan’s mark

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
In among Sheed etc, does this get enough love?

The mark itself was a deadset hanger - he leapt straight up, not running directly at the ball, and just outstretched the others.

And the timing... it’s massive. It’s up there with Leo Barry’s grab in that sense.

Should really become one of the most famous marks ever. It’s amazing. Underrated?

That whole passage of play was unreal. It will live in the hearts of us West Coast fans forever.

But you are right. I think Ryan's mark, along with a whole plethora of other awesome moments in that game will always be overshadowed by Sheed's goal.

Also remember Darling's clanger in the last 2 minutes, had the potential to turn again the game and grand final on its head.

Im not sure he would have ever recovered had the Pies gone and kicked the next goal.

Also remember Darling's clanger in the last 2 minutes, had the potential to turn again the game and grand final on its head.

Im not sure he would have ever recovered had the Pies gone and kicked the next goal.
I nearly had a stroke when he dropped that mark. If Collingwood had stolen the game because of that it would be remembered as the biggest f*** up in Grand Final history.

That whole passage of play was unreal. It will live in the hearts of us West Coast fans forever.

But you are right. I think Ryan's mark, along with a whole plethora of other awesome moments in that game will always be overshadowed by Sheed's goal.
I’d imagine from the Collingwood perspective, fans would have poured over that passage of play and wondered if only. Others have seen it more than I have but were there any play errors by Collingwood players that last stanza? I don’t really recall any standout moments - more quality play by the Eagles

I’d imagine from the Collingwood perspective, fans would have poured over that passage of play and wondered if only. Others have seen it more than I have but were there any play errors by Collingwood players that last stanza? I don’t really recall any standout moments - more quality play by the Eagles
Only thing you could say is with the state of the game and the score someone should have been matched up on Gov and not let him get a run at an intercept mark attempt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good point actually. It was a pearler of a grab. Got lost in the moment as Sheed's kick was immense and also top drawer. As mentioned the whole passge of play was sublime. McGovern and Vardy did their job brilliantly too.

As for Jack Darling, had the Pies goalled he would have been finished imo. Biggest mistake in VFL/AFL history. No question he and him only cost his side a flag.

Good point actually. It was a pearler of a grab. Got lost in the moment as Sheed's kick was immense and also top drawer. As mentioned the whole passge of play was sublime. McGovern and Vardy did their job brilliantly too.

As for Jack Darling, had the Pies goalled he would have been finished imo. Biggest mistake in VFL/AFL history. No question he and him only cost his side a flag.
you would have to question if he would be mentally shot after that.

It kinda shits me that forwards do that all the time - you take a mark in the square - go back - take your full 30 seconds and wind the clock down ffs - dumb footy - spent it before he earned it.

As a Grand Final mark, it's up there with Leo Barry, Jezza and Goddard. I don't know what stage of the game Jezza took his grab, but the other three were all utterly crucial to their side's chances late in the game.

The biggest stuff up and underrated moment came just before the play.

When the ball comes out of Collingwood's defensive 50 - it goes long to a contest on the southern wing - it goes through hands and Treloar runs onto it out the back.

Cripps busts an absolute gut to get across and put pressure on Treloar forcing him to kick early and on his non-preferred thus allowing Gov to do Gov things. However he never would have got there had Will Hoskin-Elliott put even a modicum of effort into shepherding him. Instead WHE was ball watching looking further afield and let Cripps run past him.

You know what happens next.

When the ball comes out of Collingwood's defensive 50 - it goes long to a contest on the southern wing - it goes through hands and Treloar runs onto it out the back.

Cripps busts an absolute gut to get across and put pressure on Treloar forcing him to kick early and on his non-preferred thus allowing Gov to do Gov things. However he never would have got there had Will Hoskin-Elliott put even a modicum of effort into shepherding him. Instead WHE was ball watching looking further afield and let Cripps run past him.

Nup - forgotten - can you refresh my memory?

Only thing you could say is with the state of the game and the score someone should have been matched up on Gov and not let him get a run at an intercept mark attempt.
McGovern was on De Goey in the goalsquare, and tbh I don't blame him for not going with him. I doubt he'd have impacted the contest from a step behind McGovern, and if the ball got out the back he'd have had a paddock and sealed the game barring a Darling-like stuff up. The fact McGovern was on De Goey in the first place was a major stuff up by WC (gotta watch the interview with Schofield about the play).
There'd be really minor positioning stuff they could have had better but I think the biggest factor was they were out on their feet. You can see watching the last few minutes that Collingwood players were really struggling to get to each contest - not for a lack of effort, just physically couldn't. It was a bit of a trend across all their finals. In the QF they were outscored 5 goals to 1 in the last. In the SF they didn't kick a goal after the 5min mark of the last quarter. In the PF they even let us draw within 21 after being 50 points up.

Well spotted. Treloar's poor kick gave Gov the opportunity to run and jump at the ball away from goal. And the rest is history. McGovern2Vardy2Ryan2Sheed2glory

(The biggest stuff up was Buckley not putting Chris Mayne onto McGovern. Or taking Greenwood off Yeo.)

Funny because he had a bit of a down game. However just one passage of play where he won a crucial ball and did the correct thing erases every negative thing he did

Absolute terrific mark. Would of been remembered more fondly if sheed kicked a regulation goal rather then some bullshit drop punt with a bees dick space for error

"De Goey's in the goal square!"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back