Kick the game winning and Premiership deciding goal, or win the Brownlow Medal?

Win the Brownlow Medal, or kick the game winning Premiership Deciding goal

• Brownlow Medal

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Kick the Game Clincher and Premiership deciding Goal. That's really the MVP

Votes: 96 95.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you remember Adam hunter or Matt priddis? I reckon Matt will be more fondly remembered but hunter kicked the winning goal in 06
Hunter was my favorite player during our 06 flag years. Every time we looked down and out in a game, Hunter was pushed forward, he would take a couple of screamers and kick a couple of goals. The guy is a legend.

Gotta feel for Priddis though, he busted his ass for the team and although he got a Brownlow, he only just missed out on being part of a premiership winning team.

Why isn't Sheed getting even more recognition then?

Yeah, I’ve only seen Fox Footy highlight his goal approximately 250 times in the off season, it really should have been 400. :'(

I think a more interesting version of the OP question is: if you know you are going to win the premiership either way, would you rather also win the Brownlow or be the one to kick the winning goal? Suspect that might split current players a lot more.

Winning the Brownlow would be very special and a huge honour, but winning the Premiership for your team would be far better. You can celebrate a Premiership with your teammates a lot more than you can celebrate a Brownlow by yourself.

And winning a Premiership is a lot more special and takes a lot more work, and forever you'll be remembered as part of the Premiership team.There's also team reunions and various functions to celebrate the Premiership team long into the future. There's no reunion party for a Brownlow

A different short of question. Would you rather be on 500k a season and win multiple premierships? Or be a brownlow medal winning superstar on more than a million a year?

Say Luke Bruest vs Nat Fyfe

An honest survey of the entire AFL players would certainly be interesting.

If the two options are in the context of an identical career, then definitely the winning goal in a premiership.

However winning a Brownlow suggests you will have a very long and highly paid career with possible media and sponsorship gigs to follow your retirement. The guy who kicks the winning goal might be a fringe player (think Mitch Morton in 2012 although he didn't actually kick the sealer) who just happens to be there on the day.
Which image will today's kids remember in 20 years from now and be able to name the player? Which photo will be iconic in years to come?
1552953012102.png vs 1552953047452.png

I suggest what Sheed has done will be one of the most iconic moments in the AFL this century (to date, still 80 years to play out). What Mitchell has done is a great feat but one that is awarded every year and not so memorable. Sheed should have more media and sponsorship credits in the bank at the end of his career if these are both players high points.

Back