No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s pretty natural to be cynical, isn’t it?

No one has behavioural problems anymore?

Sure they do, but we are also finding lots of links to mental health issues as well now.

Self medicating is very common, the system is pretty broken and people seem to start by assuming mental health issues are an excuse and bot real.

Some people will always take the piss if they see advantage for themselves, that doesn't mean everyone does and peole should be given the benefit of the doubt.

Add to that we have our own posters to think about, you dont kbow who is reading or what they are going through and its not great for someone dealing with their own issues or a loved ones issues to read a bunch of flippant remarks belittling mental health issues

It’s pretty natural to be cynical, isn’t it?

No one has behavioural problems anymore?
Pretty natural to be cynical when numerous AFL clubs are deliberately "playing the mental health card" for players who have no overt mental illnesses whatsoever purely to shield them from media scrutiny. I'm assuming you've already realized or are perfectly capable of figuring out why that's an extremely damaging practice for legitimate sufferers of various mental illnesses out there.

Yes, other organizations/business do it too. Yes, some players do have legitimate issues so they aren't always necessarily faking it either. It is not an all-or-nothing proposition.

So yeah that was me that made the silly remark in reference to Hogan. Long story short it was me assuming he was using his anxiety as get out of jail free card for his drinking session. I blindly assumed that alcohol would magnify the anxiety but after doing some research (Dr Google) it turns out that alcohol has the ability to temporarily suppress the effects of anxiety which is why sufferers sometimes turn to it. So I’d like to put my hand up and apologise if anyone was offended. I’ll slowly back away from the internet for the day and take my red card like a man 😔

Absolutely you have to look at where it is coming from. Which is also why I pointed out that a lot of these health documentaries are also trying to sell you their product.

Now Coke funding a study saying coke isn't bad should be scoffed at. Bit should Pete funding a movie and selling a diet plan to go with it not be scrutinized?

It's really hard to get hard science on nutrition, most of the models are over 100 years old, most modern studies are compromised.

People lie about what they eat, natural foods nutrition varies, people's ability to digest and abosrb the nutrients varies.

One size doesn't fit all but some basic rules seem to be fairly universal. Water good, fibre good, vegetables good (not all of them for everyone) and they cover a lot of the fibre. Hard to really make money off that though

Are we talking about COKE or COLA mate?

Speaking of COLA, check this flog out.

If I was AFL CEO: The captains give Gill some advice - http://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-16/if-i-was-afl-ceo-the-captains-give-gill-some-advice

Screenshot_20190318-230715_AFL.jpg

Given I have serious issues with anxiety and depression, it is true from my experience that it can make you want to do some seriously dumb s**t. But your desire is different from what you actually do.
People desire to punch people who piss them off, but they don't.
Mental health has become an excuse for people to get away with poor decisions

Given I have serious issues with anxiety and depression, it is true from my experience that it can make you want to do some seriously dumb s**t. But your desire is different from what you actually do.
People desire to punch people who piss them off, but they don't.
Mental health has become an excuse for people to get away with poor decisions

Absolutely. It really p_sses me off that footballers who are not suffering from any mental illnesses, decide to do something stupid, and to brush it under the carpet and seek public support, instantly claim "mental illness, please respect <insert name's> privacy as he battles his condition".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are we talking about COKE or COLA mate?

Speaking of COLA, check this flog out.

If I was AFL CEO: The captains give Gill some advice - http://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-16/if-i-was-afl-ceo-the-captains-give-gill-some-advice

View attachment 637268
I liked this one too

Trent Cotchin (Richmond)

"Roughy two years ago said if you play twilight you don’t get to celebrate for as long after it. That’s probably fair feedback coming from someone who has won four of them. I’d keep it as a day Grand Final."

Its very easy to be glib, hell the memes practically meme themselves, but this is a young man who has already faced many challenges: His father died before his time, he had testicular cancer and he was burdened with being a saviour of MFC, which on history isn't something you'd wish on your enemies lame dog. Yeah sure he's a young man, and young men are notorious for doing dumb things. But I can kinda understand this guy needing time to get his s**t in a pile.

I've long realised the revitalising anti-anxiety properties of a glass of single malt. And it's diminishing returns. Dosage is key. I, like I assume many (most?) on here have made so many bad choices over my life, especially regarding drugs and alcohol, that you could probably fill a book. The difference between Larry and Jesse is that no one cares about Larry, so he is afforded time to get himself right away from the public gaze.

If you read the press release from Bell, the club hasn't tried to cover it up. Almost to the point of throwing him under the bus a whisker. Maybe that's part of his treatment? Build resiliency through responsibility? Regardless, I hope he sorts himself. Life's too long to be miserable.

Its very easy to be glib, hell the memes practically meme themselves, but this is a young man who has already faced many challenges: His father died before his time, he had testicular cancer and he was burdened with being a saviour of MFC, which on history isn't something you'd wish on your enemies lame dog. Yeah sure he's a young man, and young men are notorious for doing dumb things. But I can kinda understand this guy needing time to get his s**t in a pile.

I've long realised the revitalising anti-anxiety properties of a glass of single malt. And it's diminishing returns. Dosage is key. I, like I assume many (most?) on here have made so many bad choices over my life, especially regarding drugs and alcohol, that you could probably fill a book. The difference between Larry and Jesse is that no one cares about Larry, so he is afforded time to get himself right away from the public gaze.

If you read the press release from Bell, the club hasn't tried to cover it up. Almost to the point of throwing him under the bus a whisker. Maybe that's part of his treatment? Build resiliency through responsibility? Regardless, I hope he sorts himself. Life's too long to be miserable.

Very well said Larry, it appears we may have shared some common demons.

What I will add though, is that while things at times appear tough and it seems a struggle to go on, these demons can be conquered.

It takes a strong sense of determination, acceptance/accountability that you have a problem and most of all, the want/reason to change these behaviors and get your life back.

I don't wish to get into too much depth about it, but I am 14 years clean/sober (although I do still have the occasional frothie) after spending around the same amount of time suffering from substance abuse.

To put this into perspective I'm 38 years old and started really young, nothing to be proud of, if anything all the more saddening.

I do agree that the average person can go and get themselves right without the spotlight being shined in their faces, however many are unable due to financial commitments and/or limitations.

It's also not as clean cut as everyone thinks and there are usually contributing factors and underlying issues which account for the reasoning behind any such issues.

For people to make light of anyone who is genuinely in this type of situation is absolutely deplorable, however for anyone to use these issues as a cop out is much, much worse and should be treated as such.

I genuinely hope that the kid gets himself together and that he's given as much time and privacy as it takes.

At the end of the day, he's been through so much at such a young age and it would be a shame to watch him waste his life away, however unless he takes responsibility and wants to change, it simply can't and won't happen.

Hopefully with it all coming to surface publicly, it's the motivation he needs to kick start his recovery and take his life back.

Im going to say this

Jesse has had known issues since he started in the AFL. Him and his manager have tried to get back to WA in the last couple of years, His dad had been very sick for a few years and passed away, then about 5 days later he found out he also had cancer which would of been pretty bloody crushing.

He's still young, but he's had to deal with a bit of personal issues over the time. It's not well known but he's had these mental issues from Early Melbourne days. Absolute dumb thing he's done but i think he kind of needed the public lashing and freo needed to sound tough as well on the group that this is not acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back