Bluemour Discussion Thread XV - Facts Not Welcome

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would it be reasonable to think that we may have a similar season to that of the Brions last season?

Totally unrelated but does anyone ever sing “Dahlhaus, in the middle of our street, Dahlhaus...........”

Or is it just me......

It’s just me isn’t it?
yes - yes it is......

If we follow Melbourne's (well since Paul Roos took over as coach) line of youth drafting and development, we will be fine, our list just needs nurturing and experience, more than anything else.
Said before and elsewhere that SPS is the real game changer for our club, after Charlie, I firmly believe he is the most likely game-breaker/winner on our list. He is a line breaker and is a beautiful user of the ball. Very happy for Pet-Set to fly under the radar for now, we are building an impressive midfield recipe, just need time to let it cook.

If we follow Melbourne's (well since Paul Roos took over as coach) line of youth drafting and development, we will be fine, our list just needs nurturing and experience, more than anything else.
Said before and elsewhere that SPS is the real game changer for our club, after Charlie, I firmly believe he is the most likely game-breaker/winner on our list. He is a line breaker and is a beautiful user of the ball. Very happy for Pet-Set to fly under the radar for now, we are building an impressive midfield recipe, just need time to let it cook.
And then the other teams will be able to smell what we are cooking.

Would it be reasonable to think that we may have a similar season to that of the Brions last season?

Totally unrelated but does anyone ever sing “Dahlhaus, in the middle of our street, Dahlhaus...........”

Or is it just me......

It’s just me isn’t it?

No, but "Malthouse, talks in riddles, so to speak" was my take on his pressers :drunk:

Bevo took them to a premiership, i think he can coach.

The big questions for me are their list management...and a quick look at their board shows a lot of their posters worry about this too.

They have pretty much zero ruckman and KPP depth...and that's a list management issue.
They've never had a good spine, even in their premiership year, but they've lost Adams, Roughead, Campbell and Redpath wit no real replacements. Boyd and Morris now gone likely for the season.

They've had to try Naughton forward out of desperation because all they have is Schache who has done nothing at AFL level...lol how can Schache and Boyd be your only 2 real key forwards on your list? That's poor list management.

But if Naughton moves forward their only defenders are guys like Cordy and Fletcher Roberts...

Not sure who their ruckmen are outside a young English and an average Jackson Trengrove.

Our list is looking in much better shape.

I do rate Lewis Young on their list, but I agree short on talls

I think Bevo was able to get the absolute best out of all of their players in that one year, it was the perfect season

Bevo took them to a premiership, i think he can coach.

The big questions for me are their list management...and a quick look at their board shows a lot of their posters worry about this too.

They have pretty much zero ruckman and KPP depth...and that's a list management issue.
They've never had a good spine, even in their premiership year, but they've lost Adams, Roughead, Campbell and Redpath wit no real replacements. Boyd and Morris now gone likely for the season.

They've had to try Naughton forward out of desperation because all they have is Schache who has done nothing at AFL level...lol how can Schache and Boyd be your only 2 real key forwards on your list? That's poor list management.

But if Naughton moves forward their only defenders are guys like Cordy and Fletcher Roberts...

Not sure who their ruckmen are outside a young English and an average Jackson Trengrove.

Our list is looking in much better shape.
I think Bevos player management skills leave a lot to be desired.

Got no tall forwards? They've got a pick 1 and pick 2 key forward who they can't develop. They also had an All Australian medium forward who they let go completely off the rails, and then Bevo and the leadership group bagged him out in the media for a year forcing him out for unders.

Bevo is a poor coach.

The bulldogs built themselves a cracking good list and won a premiership but since then it's all fallen apart. Is it the coach or the culture? It's not like the club is known for it's great leadership.

Something drove those players to work hard and win that flag and when they did it just seemed like a whole heap went off the rails and let themselves go. They certainly played lazy footy afterwards, not the relentless stuff that won them a flag.

Perhaps it's the coach or perhaps it's one of those rare moments a club builds a list of pure talent without a focus on personality type.

Got no tall forwards? They've got a pick 1 and pick 2 key forward who they can't develop. They also had an All Australian medium forward who they let go completely off the rails, and then Bevo and the leadership group bagged him out in the media for a year forcing him out for unders.

Bevo is a poor coach.
Boyd/Schache were never can't miss propositions despite their respective draft positions but the Dogs inability to spell them with anyone of note would be a cause for concern for Doggies fans, if anything they're allowing any depth head for the exit with minimal coming back as compensation.
Injuries to Libba & Bont haven't helped their cause either but with the exception of Macrae, I struggle to think of anyone that has continued performing to the same standard since their premiership success, with a number of key contributors taking significant steps backward.
It'll be interesting to note how the year plays out for them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bevo is a poor coach.

I'd blame their list manager mostly for those decisions.

Boyd came into the club before Bevo was even hired and is now on leave due to mental health.
Schache has actually always looked like a bust, not sure any club/coach could get him to reach great heights.
Stringer was let go due to being a flog and dividing the team...letting him go was actually a good move, it sent a strong message.

Bevo is a poor coach.
Bob Murphy's premiership medallion says otherwise

Bevo is a poor coach.

Whilst i agree with most of what you say, I'm not sure what they could have done with Stringer. Everyone knew what was going on with him, in the end they did better than i expected in the trade.

Bob Murphy's premiership medallion says otherwise
He was gifted a fully developed team which just needed a coach who understood and implimented modern structures. Theres more to a coach than that in the long term. Otherwise Chris Scott would have more than one flag, and Freo wouldn't be completely stuffed.

Whilst i agree with most of what you say, I'm not sure what they could have done with Stringer. Everyone knew what was going on with him, in the end they did better than i expected in the trade.
They should have pulled him and guys like Libba up before it went too far. Yes players arent children and are responsible for their own actions, but good clubs manage these issues before they blow up.

They should have pulled him and guys like Libba up before it went too far. Yes players arent children and are responsible for their own actions, but good clubs manage these issues before they blow up.

Libba yes, but im not sure the club can do much when one of its players, starts sleeping with a 17 year old high school student, who then sends photos of Stringer in the act, to his wife who has just given birth to their 2nd child.

He was gifted a fully developed team which just needed a coach who understood and implimented modern structures. Theres more to a coach than that in the long term. Otherwise Chris Scott would have more than one flag, and Freo wouldn't be completely stuffed.
Was tongue in cheek 😁

Bevo is a poor coach.
Those talls you mentioned have both got emotional/personality problems and Stringer is a complete ratbag who can play footy when he is in the mood but off the field is dodgy at best, so those sort of issues are more to do with psychology than actual football coaching, so you are way off in your reasoning about Bevo not being able to coach..........he already has the runs on the board because he has won a flag at AFL level and was a very successful coach at Mentone/StBedes in the ammos as well as an assistant coach at Collingwood and the Haws. As far as Bevo having a fully developed team already when he took over at the dogs that is bollocks, because there was a huge age gap between their young gun mavericks (see:Libba/Stringer etc) and their experienced better players and now that the older guys are mostly gone they are having troubles...........a lot like the troubles we have been having with out list gap age group and trying to recruit semi-experienced players from other clubs to fill the void. The W.B. list is going to be a work in progress for quite a while yet I would imagine, although they do have some very good players there if they can just manage their personalities.........maybe they need to recruit a new psychologist???

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back