Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This bloke is an absolute machine

1552896527737.png

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
BRAVE Western Bulldogs backman Dale Morris is prepared to prove the doubters wrong after avoiding surgery on his injured knee and aiming to return this season.
Morris suffered a high-grade injury to the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee last Friday.
The immediate fear was the 36-year-old's career would be over.
However, his rehab program will be similar to that of last year.
In February 2018, Morris suffered a small tear in his right ACL but didn't need to go under the knife initially, and eventually lined up in 11 matches.
He will follow a similar rehab program designed to see him feature in the upcoming campaign.
Medical services manager Chris Bell told westernbulldogs.com.au the next month would be critical in determining how Morris will recover.
"Dale is an incredibly diligent and professional athlete, so we will put a comprehensive rehab program around him to do everything we can to get him back to playing AFL footy this season," Bell said.

FULL FIXTURE Every round, every game
"We have decided to manage Dale's knee injury conservatively, and that means he will not require any surgery. Dale will go into a splint in the hope that the cruciate ligament heals.
"This is similar to how we managed his partial ACL injury to his opposite knee last season.
"We will assess the stability and degree of healing of the cruciate again in four to six weeks to determine when he can come out of the splint. It's also at this time that we will get a clearer idea of his return to play timeline."
WHO MAKES FINALS? Do the 2019 Ladder Predictor
At this early stage, Morris has predicted another mid-season return, although the timeline is vague at the moment.
What isn't in doubt is Morris' resolve.
"Not once have I thought, 'Maybe this is it'," Morris said.

"That's just not in my DNA. I want to play for as long as I can, and this doesn't change that.
"I'll be doing everything I can to get back, because I just love playing for this football club so much.
"Timeframe-wise, we just don't know. We're going to be aiming for around that mid-year mark, (but) it could blow out (or) it could come in.
"We’ve just got to wait and see how it goes."
Morris has lined up in 252 career games and is most famously remembered for his lunging tackle on Sydney superstar Lance Franklin late in the 2016 Grand Final that helped Tom Boyd boot a critical goal.

The Inbetweener

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2011
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Beveridge on SEN was great:

Sees Naughton as a potential significant key forward

Thinks Schache will make it

Mentioned Young and Roberts as potential replacements but strongly hinted we will go small

Lynch not in best 22

Thinks West will be a good small forward. Sounded like he plans on giving him a run this year

Jan 1, 2015
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Beveridge on SEN was great:

Sees Naughton as a potential significant key forward

Thinks Schache will make it

Mentioned Young and Roberts as potential replacements but strongly hinted we will go small

Lynch not in best 22

Thinks West will be a good small forward. Sounded like he plans on giving him a run this year

How much smaller can we go with Naughton up forward and Morris out? Is Caleb Daniel going to line up on Tom Lynch and Charlie Dixon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much smaller can we go with Naughton up forward and Morris out? Is Caleb Daniel going to line up on Tom Lynch and Charlie Dixon?

They don't know how to plan for him, so he has the upper hand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

John Barnes is planning to take part in a class action against the AFL over long term effects of concussion. He has epilepsy, can't take a shower on his own and can't drive a car. This is topical for us considering the uncertainty over Picken's future. It's topical for everyone in AFL, especially if up to 100 ex-players really do join the class action.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03...oins-planned-concussion-class-action/10915086

The bloke could dish it out (ask Johnno who was concussed after a clash with him in 2000) but nobody would wish these long term after-effects on any player.

Note the neuroscientist's call for longer rest periods (perhaps mandatory?) and for "cultural change". And of course more research into how to treat concussions and recovery.

Aug 1, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
John Barnes is planning to take part in a class action against the AFL over long term effects of concussion. He has epilepsy, can't take a shower on his own and can't drive a car. This is topical for us considering the uncertainty over Picken's future. It's topical for everyone in AFL, especially if up to 100 ex-players really do join the class action.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03...oins-planned-concussion-class-action/10915086

The bloke could dish it out (ask Johnno who was concussed after a clash with him in 2000) but nobody would wish these long term after-effects on any player.

Note the neuroscientist's call for longer rest periods (perhaps mandatory?) and for "cultural change". And of course more research into how to treat concussions and recovery.

For what it is worth, a huge 10,000 athlete study was conducted in the USA a decade or so ago - on College NFL players, who had suffered concussion. It required 30 days for the average player to get their cognitive test scores back to 95% of their pre-concussion results. Obviously, a number recovered quicker and a few took even longer subject to severity and genetics.

Based on this study, it seems a fairly compelling argument that anyone concussed sufficiently to miss one game - should really miss 4.

Golden_6

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls

I suggest we'll be running a similar set up to the Collingwood defence last year which very nearly won them a flag. It was a based around one mobile taller defender (Dunn or Goldsack), surrounded by medium sized players who were also good in the air (Howe, Langdon, Crisp, Maynard etc.).

Cordy as the lone KPD with support in the air from Wood, Crozier, Williams etc. I don't know if it'll work but there's no point playing a Roberts or Young if they aren't good enough. We always have the option of swinging Naughton back if required.

For what it is worth, a huge 10,000 athlete study was conducted in the USA a decade or so ago - on College NFL players, who had suffered concussion. It required 30 days for the average player to get their cognitive test scores back to 95% of their pre-concussion results. Obviously, a number recovered quicker and a few took even longer subject to severity and genetics.

Based on this study, it seems a fairly compelling argument that anyone concussed sufficiently to miss one game - should really miss 4.
NFL has huge issues they are only now facing - and Chris Benoit has all but been written from the wrestling history books in another very sad episode.

Wood took Buddy last year which leaves Cordy for Reid in Round 1 and Crozier on the restign ruckman. Croz I have faith in peeling off and chopping out. Hopefully re roll the dice a la Lindsay Gilbee and cut them up on the rebound. Shame JJ's out but time for Williams or Suckling to get back there to give us a real attacking option from defence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back