Society/Culture Christchurch Mosque mass shooting

Remove this Banner Ad

It might be harder for Australian citizens to go to NZ after this.Worst massacre by an Australian ever, excluding the indigenous massacres. As far as I can see it had nothing to do with New Zealand and all to do with an extreme right wing Australian. The victims should sue the Australian government and the Murdich press for fostering Islamophobia imo.

It might be harder for Australian citizens to go to NZ after this.Worst massacre by an Australian ever, excluding the indigenous massacres. As far as I can see it had nothing to do with New Zealand and all to do with an extreme right wing Australian. The victims should sue the Australian government and the Murdich press for fostering Islamophobia imo.
Lol none of these things will happen

Professors aren't what they used to be.
Anthropologist? - this must be from some new school of post modern Foucault anthropology.

First, the entire article is riddled with outrageous sweeping generalisations
After imaginatively creating a false dilemma - for white people - it conjures up an equally fictional response for white people, conveniently supporting the author's confirmation bias. It assumes guilt by colour, anger by colour, hate by colour. An ad hominem not remotely interested in any burden of proof, it entirely ignores complexity of any sort. The article is circular - problem cause problem - and the problem is the cause! -Whiteness!

This is a sad and embarrassing post modern screed. I can see this article will be used by History professors - some 40 years form now as an example of the insanity which possessed our culture at this time.

And the writing is also appalling.
How are we meant to separate the racist "white" entitlement from the good "multicultural" entitlement in Australian politics?

As far as I can see it had nothing to do with New Zealand and all to do with an extreme right wing Australian. The victims should sue the Australian government and the Murdich press for fostering Islamophobia imo.

Isn't it correct that he hasn't lived in Australia since 2011, and self-radicalised while travelling overseas? Terrorism within Australia didn't even rate a mention in his spiel.

Have seen a few allusions to this online lately. Some of the so-called white vs brown humanisation is a product of how easy it is to chase the white perps information or fall over it online. It's much harder to get a back story on a refugee who doesn't maintain social media accounts, have readily available or any photos of them as kids or even local family. And it could well be out of respect or fear of being slung with an unsavoury label that journalists don't bombard Muslims with constant questions about how their family got mixed up in terrorism.

Isn't it correct that he hasn't lived in Australia since 2011, and self-radicalised while travelling overseas? Terrorism within Australia didn't even rate a mention in his spiel.
He was still an Australia citizen. Funny how refugees are treated like terrorists in this country and the white supremacists are running around unmonitored .

How are we meant to separate the racist "white" entitlement from the good "multicultural" entitlement in Australian politics?
You don’t
There are only individuals with specific biographies - it’s infinitely more demanding to speak in these terms but also infinitely closer to something resembling the truth.
The moment you begin to categorize humans into groups you are dehumanizing them - it’s lazy and error riddled and ultimately leads to unconscionable actions.

People are nt abstractions

Rather than accepting these categories it is in resisting them that sanity and civilization can be found.

The categories are nonsense that approximates nothing real.

Engage with people individually and all these problems evaporate.

There is a natural sympathy towards any individual as we discover their specific journey - it is virtually impossible to be hard hearted dismissive or hateful the more we know.

So why engage in it?

Why treat people like statistics

It’s an abomination I won’t entertain

I think her point is that we are not asking the same question for 'brown' terrorist.

Because those questions don't have the same impact when the background of the criminal is alien to the majority of readers. They do usually have some quotes from family and friends expressing shock/disbelief at what they have done, but telling the reader about how little Muhammed was a good boy who read his Quran every day doesn't make him seem more "normal" to the average reader. It probably just emphasizes the differences and creates more hostility toward that group.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was still an Australia citizen. Funny how refugees are treated like terrorists in this country and the white supremacists are running around unmonitored .

Yeah, we can't disown him.

Illegal immigrants have the option of a free flight home any time they choose.

Not sure that RWNJ's aren't being monitored here. That would be to label the police Commissioner a liar.

Yeah, we can't disown him.

Illegal immigrants have the option of a free flight home any time they choose.

Not sure that RWNJ's aren't being monitored here. That would be to label the police Commissioner a liar.
Your confusing immigrants with refugees.Refugees can't go home eg Rohinga ect.If you think there is no such thing as refugees you're wrong.

So Australia's intelligence agencies had no idea about this guy even though he frequented RWNJ websites, yet they deport Dustin Martins dad for being in a bikie gang? Time for Peter Dutton to go,he is an incompetent racist that can't moniter or find terrorists.

When you act concerned that NZ is going to stop allowing Australians visit.

Why did you just follow me if you think I am an RWNJ?
I'm trying to keep tabs on RWNJs .I was saying NZ has every right to refuse Australian citizens if they are not being monitered propery by our incompetent intelligence agencies.

From reading excerpts of his manifesto, he was 'motivated' to commit this mass shooting by what he observed whilst traveling for roughly 2 years through Europe and Asia/Mid East. Incidents such as Bataclan massacre, multiple shootings and rapes committed by Muslim whether refugees or homegrown, etc, etc... that left a lasting impression even on me who was several thousand kilometres away when they occurred.

Those claiming that he was 'brainwashed' by 'racist' right wing media just want to believe to that because the reality that mayhem and violence by followers of a blood thirsty religion was the main influence is far too confronting and can make them deeply question their own political ideology which is obviously a discomfort they want to avoid at all cost.

Very few (weak minded/open minded ) people are indoctrinated by opinionated morons who write for Fairfax publications and News Corp. The vast majority seek articles that confirm they already entrenched beliefs.

Anning is without a doubt a racist piece of s**t but he's not wrong is ascertaining that importing people who follow a medieval religion that remains practically unchanged from the day it was founded in the 7th century (warmongering and expansionist in outlook invented by a pedophilic warlord probably suffering mental illness that exacerbated his violent tendencies) is a seriously bad idea. A broken clock is right twice a day as they say....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back