80​
-​
-​
78​
-​
Sorrento​
Cups WR​

Last edited:

Anyone got any good recommendations on how to improve your driver game? I started playing around a year ago, I'm now scoring fairly regularly in the 90-95 range per round (no proper handicap) but I'm struggling big time with hitting the driver and fairway woods to a lesser extent. Have tried a few different things with stance, grip, swing etc. but still having a lot of slice on each hit and not getting a lot of loft on the ball either. Am lucky to hit more than 200m with the driver when I can hit my 4 Hybrid about 170m so not getting good value from it.

Have a feeling I would take a lot of shots off my game if I could get the driver right and at least consistently get on the fairway.
In the interests of correctness your problem isn't with your driver it's with your slice.

Your swing is also stuffed on all the other clubs - it just shows up most noticeably with the driver (hardest club to hit).

Stick with it. Sounds like you're on a winner. Is there anything about them you don't like/find restrictive?

If Im having a day where I can actually hit my irons with being scared of shanking them, then they are more accurate compared to my hybrids. For sure. My hybrids have a bit of tendency to draw quite a bit. But I’d take a draw any day of the week, 365 days a year compared to a banana slice.

Otherwise they are great in every way, for my game. I’ve found I can even pitch with them.

Also, I’ve started getting consistent lessons about every two weeks. Best thing I’ve done with my game after months on end analysing my own swing, second guessing what I’ve been doing wrong, searching for miracle fixes and going through miserable bouts of the shanks.

Anyone got any good recommendations on how to improve your driver game? I started playing around a year ago, I'm now scoring fairly regularly in the 90-95 range per round (no proper handicap) but I'm struggling big time with hitting the driver and fairway woods to a lesser extent. Have tried a few different things with stance, grip, swing etc. but still having a lot of slice on each hit and not getting a lot of loft on the ball either. Am lucky to hit more than 200m with the driver when I can hit my 4 Hybrid about 170m so not getting good value from it.

Have a feeling I would take a lot of shots off my game if I could get the driver right and at least consistently get on the fairway.

Been there mate - know what you’re going through. Almost certain youre hitting outside to in with a steep swing as opposed to inside out. I still struggle with this but what has helped me is trying to keep my back to the target for longer in the back swing to stop turning my upper body early. Also, making my grip stronger and not gripping so tightly has helped.

I think this article explains it well:

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.golfdigest.com/story/zach-johnson-downswing-drills/amp

Best thing you can do is get a coach to have a look at your swing I reckon.

The Score: Jason Akermanis banned from local golf club
Scott Gullan, Herald Sun
March 21, 2019 8:04am

Some people just can’t escape it.

Jason Akermanis and controversy have long been pals and they’ve bonded together again in the former Brisbane champion’s latest sporting pursuit.
Aker last year revealed his desire to become a professional golfer but he’s hit a snag after being banned from one of his local golf clubs over claims of cheating.

The 2001 Brownlow medallist has had ongoing issues with the committee of the Thurgoona Golf Club, near Albury, and says he won’t be going back after the latest incident saw him banned for a month.

“I’ve never had any trouble at any other club,” Aker said. “This was the sixth time I’ve had issues there and I’m not going back.”

A recent complaint came from a member who lives on the course who claims during the monthly medal he saw Aker play from out-of-bounds on the third hole after he’d pulled his tee shot.

cf4d155a0bb1101069842a389590e6cc
Jason Akermanis’s golfing exploits haven’t been going smoothly. Picture: David Kapernick

He wrote a letter which initially got Aker suspended for a week but he challenged the ruling and had the ban rescinded.

Then two weeks ago a member who was standing in a playground near the 17th hole claimed he saw Aker have six shots when he’d signed for a par four.

“I knew he was watching, my first ball was in for four and I told my playing partners to watch this so I had a bit of a play around,” Aker said.

“I knew what the guy was doing, it’s an absolute joke.”

Aker, who is a member of three other golf clubs in the area, remains determined to follow his dream after failing to get past the first qualifying stage last year.

He started with a triple-bogey on the opening hole at Noosa Springs in December which put him behind the eight ball.

The three-time premiership star plans to returning to Q-school later in the year and is also eyeing qualifying for the Japanese Tour.
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...b/news-story/7ca943a18a4c279df9dadfddcbc60d5b

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. Reverse grip has totally changed it. No yips whatsoever.
I’ve gone the reverse grip with the bottom hand claw grip. Very solid for short putts. My Dads side has a genetic disorder where we suffer from an essential tremor to the brain. My shaky hands don’t come into it any more.

Well, had a game assessment done during the week to see what I was really doing wrong and yes, it turns out my swing is actually just rooted (good call Pres ). Turns out it stems mostly from my setup and standing too close to the ball which was causing me to swing in. Tried a few drills to correct it and the improvement has been pretty much immediate. Already seeing a lot less dispersion in my iron shots and my driver slice has been basically corrected (unfortunately now have a slight hook but that's something else to work on).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back