Round 1 Vs Sydney GAMEDAY

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeah I don’t get the Smith inclusion, his JLT was under-whelming.

I was thinking the same but one thing caught my eye. When Savage tackled Dunkley and then got into him Smith was the first in to stand up and fly the flag for his teammate. We haven't been a team that does that too much and to me it was really refreshing.
As well as that I thought he showed glimpses as the game wore on.

I'm pleased he's playing this week, but that's hardly a difficult kick for an AFL player to execute.

Have to disagree with you there, I can think of a number of players on our list that 9 times out of 10 couldn't execute that kick, one of our likely season top possession winners is one

EDIT: Now whether I consider many of our player's delivery up to AFL standard is another discussion :)

Have to disagree with you there, I can think of a number of players on our list that 9 times out of 10 couldn't execute that kick, one of our likely season top possession winners is one

EDIT: Now whether I consider many of our player's delivery up to AFL standard is another discussion :)

What you say is our lists biggest problem and deficiency. Fix our disposal by foot and this will have the biggest impact.

Unfortunately not just skill\talent based (i.e. not fixed just by player replacement), also due to how we are structured in terms of where/how much pressure we are under when we obtain the pill, but also what the ball user sees when they lift their eyes (which is f*** all). Yet to come up with a coaching line combination (using current personnel) I feel comfortable with that can obtain the outcome needed leveraging the cattle we have. Convinced our list can output more with more efficient coaching

I'm pleased he's playing this week, but that's hardly a difficult kick for an AFL player to execute.
These days, it really is. Skills are no longer the number 1 priority, easily behind fitness and athleticism. Very few on our list could nail a kick like that (Lynch, Libba, Bont the first to come to mind, but few others)

You can't teach kicking under pressure skills easily once players reach senior footy. It's very difficult to change someone's technique.

This is why Dahlhaus, Dunkley, Gowers, Jong etc are always going to be limited players.

Players such as Lynch, Williams, Greene, Schache- they are definitely worth putting time into.

A couple of months ago our round 1 side looked very strong and it seemed like a hard task to pick a best 22..

Now it just looks horrible with holes everywhere. Basically saying "oh he'll have to do" when naming 4 or 5 blokes.

Yikes.

A couple of months ago our round 1 side looked very strong and it seemed like a hard task to pick a best 22..

Now it just looks horrible with holes everywhere. Basically saying "oh he'll have to do" when naming 4 or 5 blokes.

Yikes.

Think that’s also based on the fact that we have judged a fair few players based on JLT form and have put a line through them already.

The improvement from his first few disposals of both games where he looked like he was feeling the pressure of stepping up to this level is fantastic.

I was thinking the same but one thing caught my eye. When Savage tackled Dunkley and then got into him Smith was the first in to stand up and fly the flag for his teammate. We haven't been a team that does that too much and to me it was really refreshing.
As well as that I thought he showed glimpses as the game wore on.
Absolutely agree with this, really enjoyed seeing the young bloke stick up for his team mate. Barring Libba, Billy and the recently departed Clay Smith we haven't seen this for so long, it's refreshing and overdue!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hate offers like this. Why should people who didn't want to commit to the club get rewarded an extra 8 games compared to those who pay up front every year. Maybe make it 5 games, but 11 is just a slap in the face to those who got their membership last year.

Don't assume they all choose not to commit, some simply cannot afford a full membership. They are no less a member than someone who can.

Let's not read too much into Bailey's JLT form. Don't be down on the kid for not ripping games apart straight away. He's obviously got tons of talent. How many times have we built expectations about a player after a ripping first game, only to be disappointed? Jon Georgiadis and Ben Sexton spring to mind (showing my age). But even in the current team, we were all drooling after Lukas Webb and Lewis Young made their debut. I'm stoked for Bailey - I think he is a player for whom our development and patience will be handsomely rewarded over many years.

B Williams - Cordy - Crozier
HB Daniel - Wood - Duryea
C Richards - Bonti - Hunter
HF Lloyd - Schache - Wallis
F McLean - Naughton - Gowers
R English - Macrae - Libba

IC Trengove - Dunkley - Suckling - Smith

EMG Roberts - Lipinski - Dickson - Hayes

Try telling half of our list that :'(

B Suckling - Naughton - Crozier
HB Wood - Cordy - Duryea
C Richards - Bont - Hunter
HF Lloyd - Gowers - Wallis
F McLean - Schache - Dunkley
R English - Macrae - Libba

Inter: Trengove - Daniel - Williams - Smith

FFS...Trengove simply can't play down back. He's too slow and makes errors you'd expect from a kid in their first year. We can't sacrifice Naughton up forward, either. Bugger flexibility. In a year or two Naughton will be a better backman than Grundy ever was and be as important to our structure as Rance is to the Tiges.

I think about the defense of the Cats during their hay-day. Never saw anyone say the likes of Scarlett, Lonergan (after he lost a kidney), Enright, Milburn or Mackie needed flexibility in their game. They were well drilled and played for each other.

Also, Smith will be a gun when he gets used to the pace. Must play.

WTF is Picken! God we miss him...

I don't think it's that we want Naughton to be flexible, it's that we've become so bad at defending turnovers that marking inside 50 has become more important than having a key defender. The big guys always kicked bags against us anyway, if we can't change that at least we can get our own big man kicking goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back