Player Watch Ben Reid (Retired 2020)

Beats dead mans hand

80024265-best-possible-poker-hand-royal-flush.jpg
80024265-best-possible-poker-hand-royal-flush.jpg

Oct 7, 2001
In the Pocket Rocket, lights ablaze!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Reid at his peak was sublime from the backline.
You just knew he would take the right option, and hit the target.
But those days a far in the past. His body has failed him, and the game has passed him.
If he can get on the park, history now suggests he is a fragile liability.
Sad but true.
If he could get fit, playing him in the seniors would show that we are not travelling well.

Really? He ran at 83% DE in 2017 and 79% in 2018, and he usually took the attacking option. I regard him as an elite long field kick.

Yeah, I agree. Dunn's a beautiful kick of the footy. I view his kicking as ahead of the other 2 mentioned. Judging on the few games that Reid has played over the last couple of years, he's still a nice kick, but has lost a fair bit of his penetration. From defence, Moore looks like he'll become a beautiful kick, but doesn't have the runs on the board yet and has been spraying a few too many Out on the Fulls.

if you were posting this in 2015 , this post would be relevant.

its now 2019 and he has done nothing for years , the times he gets on the park he isnt a quarter of his form in 2010,2011
Tad harsh I would say. 2016 and 2017 he made clear contributions to our best 22. They were not his best years but he was good. 2016 in particular was clearly his best ever seasons in relation to disposal and marks. Also polled 5 of his career 9 Brownlow votes in these two seasons. 2018 was a wreck but to say he has done nothing for years is wrong.

May 12, 2014
FNQ
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sixers
In 2018 opposition teams in the first 15 rounds with Dunn in the team, averaged higher scores against CFC per game than in the final 8 home and away games or final 12 rounds of the season without Dunn in the team.

Tbone McGraw

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 9, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
In 2018 opposition teams in the first 15 rounds with Dunn in the team, averaged higher scores against CFC per game than in the final 8 home and away games or final 12 rounds of the season without Dunn in the team.
Not sure that is a great stat in terms of your point.

Dunn is currently our best key defender.

Unless you provide the scores of Dunn’s direct opponent for context, that statement is meaningless.

Last edited:

OniAu

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Tad harsh I would say. 2016 and 2017 he made clear contributions to our best 22. They were not his best years but he was good. 2016 in particular was clearly his best ever seasons in relation to disposal and marks. Also polled 5 of his career 9 Brownlow votes in these two seasons. 2018 was a wreck but to say he has done nothing for years is wrong.

Need to look further into that and the coin he was possibly on in those good & down years , lot of wasted cap space to have an output of 45 games in the last 4 odd years for a player probably in our top 10 highest salary

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don't care what the stats say, I would have loved to have had Dunn play in the GF.
If he was like he was pre knee injury I think we might have been about 6 points better off...

Need to look further into that and the coin he was possibly on in those good & down years , lot of wasted cap space to have an output of 45 games in the last 4 odd years for a player probably in our top 10 highest salary

Agree he has been held back by his injuries and not been what he could be. Just found your quote he has done nothing for years harsh

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

If he was loafing along in the VFL you might be able to apply that but what he was getting paid is irrelevant when he was missing through injury.

OniAu

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
If he was loafing along in the VFL you might be able to apply that but what he was getting paid is irrelevant when he was missing through injury.

Yeah cant agree more. I just feel he didn't light it up when he did get on the park and didn't warrant the coin he was on. Which is not his fault or the clubs , you cant foresee form or injuries

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood

Or maybe Collingwood got off to a slow start and gradiually improved as the season progressed.

ClaytonM

Premiership Player
Jan 20, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood

Just means as a team we improved during the year which is obvious.

Would you have liked a fit Dunn playing in the 2018 GF. I know I would.

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
He has put in so much effort, dedication, pain, all to get back.
It seems the road remains filled with broken glass.
And ofcourse he will always have the undoubted encouragement from the pedestrians to keep going son, keep going.
Wouldn't the pedestrians be too busy looking around their feet for the broken glass to even notice Ben's presence let alone offer encouragement?

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just means as a team we improved during the year which is obvious.

Would you have liked a fit Dunn playing in the 2018 GF. I know I would.

We had a fit Reid and a probably fit enough Moore. Could have rolled the dice on one of them. We didn’t. It may or may not have made a difference but we will never know now.

Played an undersized and undermanned backline all year and they were sensational. But at the end when it counted they were outbodied.

Not sure if Reid’s cooked although it’s looking that way. Getting Moore back fully fit along with Roughead and/or Dunn when he returns will make a massive difference to an already formidable team. For one thing Howe will be able to play a more natural game.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
We had a fit Reid and a probably fit enough Moore. Could have rolled the dice on one of them. We didn’t. It may or may not have made a difference but we will never know now.

Played an undersized and undermanned backline all year and they were sensational. But at the end when it counted they were outbodied.

Not sure if Reid’s cooked although it’s looking that way. Getting Moore back fully fit along with Roughead and/or Dunn when he returns will make a massive difference to an already formidable team. For one thing Howe will be able to play a more natural game.

As I understood it, we weren't confident in Reid even though he was expressing his availability, and Moore wasn't confident in Moore even though we likely would have played him if he'd made the call so not sure we were actually in a position to roll the dice.

Last edited:
Back