So SANZAR (Well Sth Africa anyway) stuffing Rugby Again

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
And after killing of the Force the South Africans have decided the Japanese have had it.

A nation that's growing in rugby extremely quickly with great crowds and they boot them.

The Sprinbok don't even want to be in SANZAR anyway they want Europe.

Boot the *ers out keep Japan, bring back the force and bring in 1 or 2 Pacific teams and 1 from the US(maybe).

With the world championship all the regions will be flushed with coin.

Bloody Boks.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Asia's only Super Rugby-based side is set to be axed from the competition.

According to reports, the Sunwolves involvement in Super Rugby is set to end after South Africa Rugby led the push to remove the side from the competition citing a lack of local interest to their matches and the travel time being too taxing.

Players and officials within the team were made aware of their axing on Tuesday night, leaving them devastated.

A Sunwolves representative told The Australian SANZAAR had requested the side pay a participation fee but the club had refused.

No other club pays a participation fee.

It is understood the side will be forced to play out the 2020 season, while from 2021 the competition will revert to 14 teams with the convoluted conference system to be scrapped with the return of a much preferred round-robin format that had been used in previous years.

[...]

In a statement SANZAAR confirmed they will make an official statement on the future of Super Rugby on Friday afternoon.

http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/story/_/id/26311700/sunwolves-axed-super-rugby-report

Not the brightest bunch at SANZAAR. Announced teams were dying in April 2017. Apparently announcing a team is dying this Friday. Jesus Christ do this in the off-season.

Not the brightest bunch at SANZAAR. Announced teams were dying in April 2017. Apparently announcing a team is dying this Friday. Jesus Christ do this in the off-season.
The response online have basically said ditch the Sth Africans keep japan and bring in a Pacific team and the Force and be much happier

GRR will be go ahead in 2020 with Perth, Sunwolves, HK, Singapore and some Pacific / Hawaii sides.

Super Rugby will be renamed Countdown Rugby (Super 15, 14, 13, 12....)

Eventually Rugby Australia will be begging Twiggy for spots in his competition for the Waratahs and Reds.

They will not come to agreement. Then the ARU will set up a 8-10 team competition matching the footprint of the NRL. And like the spouses of the ARU board members, they will just be the poor cousins.

Given that the Japanese rugby union wanted to remove the sunwolves I'd suggest that the mistake was expanding there in the first place.
They wanted to remove them because SANZAR wanted to charge them a few. A fee no other club has to pay.

Their crowds were better than allot of other traditional clubs and the game was growing rapidly there.

Just a case of the Saffas still not over being beaten by them in the world cup.

Cheetahs
Kings
Force
Sunwolves

Super IV

SAANZAAR are a joke. Should have just left it as the Super 12. Has an organisation ever got it so consistently wrong over 10-15 year period?

2006 + Force, Cheetahs
2011 + Rebels
2016 + Kings, Sunwolves, Jaguares
2018 - Force, Cheetahs, Kings
2020 - Sunwolves

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah, going to the SANZAAR model + Japan hasn't worked. They just got greedy and wanted more TV rights money from extra markets.

A week to week sporting competition encompassing NZ, Australia, South Africa, Argentina and Japan is nuts. May as well just include Europe and North America and complete the set.

From an Australian POV the talent pool wasn't deep enough with 5 teams given the relative infancy of the Force and Rebels, and the fact the Brumbies contribute little by virtue of representing a small market. Most players still come from NSW and Qld. The ARU decided that Perth would hold the 4th license over Melbourne in 2004 after a bidding process. The Force joined in 2006 (S14) and then the Rebels in 2011 (S15). When SANZAAR decreed that Australia needed to drop a team the ARU meekly went along with it and then axed the Force because it was easier than axing the Rebels and they didn't have the stones to consider axing/merging the Brumbies. Now they've axing the Sunwolves and going back to 14 teams anyway, so the whole exercise was a waste of time.

You know, that idea may not be as ridiculous as it sounds. Two separate conferences/pools in two distinct time-zones. Cross-overs only at finals time. Probably work better than what we have now. :think:

Do we really need a world championship of provincial/club rugby? Europe has the Champions Cup which takes teams from the Premiership, Top 12 and Pro 14.

Perth to NZ and back within a week is a long enough distance to travel let alone South Africa, Japan, Argentina or Europe. I don't think it would be workable and would detract from test match rugby anyway.

Do we really need a world championship of provincial/club rugby?
Maybe not, but I would modify that slightly, I would only consider having the Celtic teams in the "Super Rugby - Greenwich Mean Time Conference" with South Africa. England and France have their own money-making leagues, so they wouldn't be in Super Rugby. My idea is actually rather long-winded and probably too much to waffle on about here. And it complicates things as to where the Italians and Argentinians would fit, what Australian and New Zealand teams would be involved; etc, etc...

It's just a random speculation of mine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back