Traded Jesse Hogan [traded with #65 to Fremantle for #6 and #23]

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you a highly paid AFL player who has been touted as the 'missing puzzle' to solve Fremantle's forward line issues?

Are you under that much pressure in your job?

No. I didn't think so.

I've suffered from anxiety and depression for years. For seemingly no logical reason you start to panic and stress about the smallest things. A deadline that really doesn't matter in the whole scheme of things becomes a major stress. Before you know it you get short of breath and try and rush things.

Nothing I have experienced in life would compare to the pressure Hogan is under as an AFL star going to a club that has been chasing a player like him for years. Massive pressure.

Can't you see how that could cause anxiety and stress?

Then its up to the individual on how they deal with it. I've used alcohol to release the pressure, the problem is it only helps for a short time and then you are back to square one.
No I'm not an AFL footballer.

Yes I am under huge pressure for my job, and I suffer stress and anxiety all the time, not sure why you're answering for me?

I've never said Jesse isn't suffering anxiety. Why do think I think he isn't? I understand AFL footballers are under pressure.
You do realize that there's no set formula for dealing with anxiety right? The drinking is clearly something that helps him deal with it. Obviously it's not a great way to deal with it but Freo have to work out with Jesse how to deal with his anxiety without resorting to getting shitfaced.

I know, but Jesse is a party guy, he likes to go out with the boys and have a good time, He always has like a lot people.

Now it turns out Jesse was out with another Freo player, Jesse has suffered rib injuries which is why he couldn't train, it's why he's not playing. Why didn't Fremantle come out with the truth from the start? Clubs and players consistently use the mental health card, when most player like Jesse just like to live a life like their mates. That doesn't mean they don't have mental problems.

Thread is definitely not about Essendon or James Hird and we're also not going to be having a mental health=drugs discussion here. I'm sure there's a main board thread catered to that sort of thing, round here we talk about drafts, trading and free agency.

Move it along.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...n/news-story/cc99e4e77f91a90416866414c2498d25

Hmmm...hope he gets it together.
Great to watch when on song.

You’d think if you were getting paid $900k for your job you wouldn’t be out on the juice the sat night before your first game with your new club though.

What is it with Femantle Dockers that they always seem to trade in or recruit people with trouble before hand, I understand they may not realise it at the time, but gee you got to look hard at every little issue when recruiting people, he was on the turps the other night because of clinical anxiety, so it has been said , that is a pretty serious illness.
I've known a bit about that and it is a debilitating thing to deal with, I wonder if Fremantle knew.
Now that may sound a bit finger pointing I don't mean it to be, you can't read peoples minds.

It justr appears that Freo seem to not reccruit very well, and even if they recruit good players there sometimes happens to be some problem down the track, not all the players of course, but look at who has come over with tickets galore on them and look at the trade aways Freo have performed giving away champions over the years, I just hope this bloke can find himself get helped and Freo can be something, they haven't had that good a go and expansion hasn't helped them either, but its done that to a few clubs! Trad clubs that suffer the dilution.

What is it with Femantle Dockers that they always seem to trade in or recruit people with trouble before hand, I understand they may not realise it at the time, but gee you got to look hard at every little issue when recruiting people, he was on the turps the other night because of clinical anxiety, so it has been said , that is a pretty serious illness.
I've known a bit about that and it is a debilitating thing to deal with, I wonder if Fremantle knew.
Now that may sound a bit finger pointing I don't mean it to be, you can't read peoples minds.

It justr appears that Freo seem to not reccruit very well, and even if they recruit good players there sometimes happens to be some problem down the track, not all the players of course, but look at who has come over with tickets galore on them and look at the trade aways Freo have performed giving away champions over the years, I just hope this bloke can find himself get helped and Freo can be something, they haven't had that good a go and expansion hasn't helped them either, but its done that to a few clubs! Trad clubs that suffer the dilution.
I agree, Freos recruiting has been awful
They have tried to play moneyball with players with high tallent but have issues like injury or other issues.
Bennell, Matera, Hogan, McCarthy, Conca just to name a few.
Didnt their footy opps manager just go to the Blues?

No I'm not an AFL footballer.

Yes I am under huge pressure for my job, and I suffer stress and anxiety all the time, not sure why you're answering for me?

I've never said Jesse isn't suffering anxiety. Why do think I think he isn't? I understand AFL footballers are under pressure.

I know, but Jesse is a party guy, he likes to go out with the boys and have a good time, He always has like a lot people.

Now it turns out Jesse was out with another Freo player, Jesse has suffered rib injuries which is why he couldn't train, it's why he's not playing. Why didn't Fremantle come out with the truth from the start? Clubs and players consistently use the mental health card, when most player like Jesse just like to live a life like their mates. That doesn't mean they don't have mental problems.

No but what it does mean is that the AFL clubs carry on like the CIA, THESE BLOKES GET PAID A FORTUNE, IF HE IS UNWELL MENTALLY THAT IS BLOODY HORRIBLE, BUT IF HE'S PULLING A STUNT ABOUT ANXIETY TO COVER UP FOR GETTING PISSED , WITH ANOTHER fREO PERSON THEN DOESN'T THAT BEG THE QUESTION WHAT THE HELL GOES ON DOWN THERE!
Now it is said he couldn't train becuase he had rib injuries, from what , did he fall , have a fight, where's the discipline and respect for your employer and your fat pay cheque, and the question again, who hires for Freo?????? and sorry about the caps, I always hit the button.

They have tried to play moneyball with players with high tallent but have issues like injury or other issues.

Going a tad early with Conca and he cost them no draft picks just cap space.

An article today summed it up.

When clubs are short of talent they can get desperate and take high risk high reward options at the trade table.

If a club is successful, not under as much pressure to perform soon they stick to their drafting and development plans and also target character and exclude anyone with character flaws.

2 first rounders would be the going rate generally for a player of Hogan’s caliber. No doubt the off field issues impacted in a big way.
Due diligence- mean risk involve lower your asking price .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's just semantics, but isn't moneyball recruiting average-talent players that do one thing really well and get on the park all the time? I'd say that that's more what they did with the team 2012-2015. The recruiting that they've done since then with the players that you've listed has been the opposite of moneyball.

It's just semantics, but isn't moneyball recruiting average-talent players that do one thing really well and get on the park all the time? I'd say that that's more what they did with the team 2012-2015. The recruiting that they've done since then with the players that you've listed has been the opposite of moneyball.
I think you’re right. Money ball more recruitment of average players who can play a certain role. Freo went for mainly talented players from WA. Although have also been regularly taking risks with players having off field concerns.

I think you’re right. Money ball more recruitment of average players who can play a certain role. Freo went for mainly talented players from WA. Although have also been regularly taking risks with players having off field concerns.

I thought moneyball was a recruiting philosophy based on stats and averages, not reputations. It doesn't really translate to footy well though, baseball is all about it's stats

Yes.

And Brad Hill has really dropped off since joining Freo from Hawthorn...has been in a bit of off-field trouble.

They need to start putting a higher emphasis on character.

I thought moneyball was a recruiting philosophy based on stats and averages, not reputations. It doesn't really translate to footy well though, baseball is all about it's stats
I don't know a whole lot about Baseball but doesn't the stat obsession come from the moneyball strategy?

I don't know a whole lot about Baseball but doesn't the stat obsession come from the moneyball strategy?
Doubt it.

Stat madness has been a thing in various sports way before the moneyball strategy. Cricket tragics have been obsessed by stats of the weirdest variety for more than a century. I think what moneyball showed was that understanding and harnessing stats has a vast practical application in recruiting.

Andy would have stayed up there with you guys. Dude's character is A++++
Early days Crows fans raved about Lever's character and touted him as a future captain. Not so much now.

Let's hope your club gets its act together, or the lure of playing with his Brother at the G and being close to Mum and Dad may prove too much for young Andy.

Early days Crows fans raved about Lever's character and touted him as a future captain. Not so much now.

Let's hope your club gets its act together, or the lure of playing with his Brother at the G and being close to Mum and Dad may prove too much for young Andy.
Andy >>>>>>>>>>>> Lever

as a bloke IMO.

Have never been less worried about a Vic player.

Andrew dooesnt strike me as a mummys boy.

And little brothers often try to out do big brother. So why would he want to play under his big brothers shadow?

That knife cuts both ways.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back