Football Related Random Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 2

With the inevitable injuries this will be great motivation for players in the next tier down competitions, I like the idea.

I haven't read all the rules re acquiring players but I assume one of your listed players would have to be on the long term injury list to take advantage of this system.

Would the order for the mid-season draft be the same as the order of the 2018 ladder positions? i.e. pick 1 for 18th, pick 2 for 17th ... pick 18 for 1st?
There was an earlier report that it would be based on ladder positions as at round 11, but that was not final. I suspect it will be based on the current ladder position at a point in time and not the ladder position at the end of 2018.

My uneducated view is, that for most teams, such a draft would be for filling out their reserve side if they copped a couple of long term injuries to listed players.

I'm not sure if anyone drafted midseason would really have a genuine shot at an AFL teams best 22.

One or two teams might use it to draft a long term prospect that has performed very well over the first half of the VFL, SANFL or WAFL, getting in early, instead of waiting fir the end of year National Draft.

Was listening to Purple’s new Podcast, In The Game. (I know, I know!)
But anyway! The latest episode has an interview with Adam Simpson - He reminds me so much of a younger version of Chris Fagan, the way he talks and holds himself is so similar to our Man. The ‘Coaches Coach’ has certainly worked his magic there, in his time at the Hawks. Simpson has helped to set up what sounds to be a very similar (Culture) to what Fagan and Noble are in the process of doing at the Lions!
He is obviously well entrenched over West but he would be the perfect Coach to take over once Fages finishes up.

View attachment 638604

I would like to sign up to AFL live pass (not a Telstra customer) and my app is stuck with the loading icon. Can anyone help? Or suggest a better (cheaper preferably) alternative?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Buy a cable that you can hook up from your iPad to your tv, so you can watch games on TV.

Sorry, can't help you out with loading the app.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. On your iPad , play the game you want to watch
2. Plug in your phone to the TV
3. Thank me later

Essentially, the game has to be playing on the iPad before you plug it in for it to work.
“Plug in phone”

Look just trying to help. Don't pick on me because I'm half asleep :(
No,I actually wanted to know and am not good at this stuff.

To me,it was a possibility you did have to “plug in phone”

This should really help a club like the Lions::rolleyes:

Revolutionary ‘free agency for life’ rules will be implemented at the end of the season in a move that will allow players more flexibility to switch clubs.

Under new guidelines accepted by the league and first proposed by the AFL Players’ Association (AFLPA) during pay negotiations in 2017, a player who receives the chop from a club will forever be a delisted free agent, regardless of years of service.

Under old rules, players who were delisted and picked up by rival clubs still had to fulfil eight years of service before they qualified for restricted free agency status. When out of contract before that time period elapsed, they had to enter the draft or seek a trade to find a new home, allowing them little say as to their next destination.

Now, previously delisted players will have greater power over their footy futures, potentially increasing the number of players who seek a third club. The best example of a player who could choose to benefit from ‘free agency for life’ is Bulldogs forward Billy Gowers, who was delisted by Carlton at the end of 2016 without playing a senior game. He was then taken in the rookie draft by the Western Bulldogs ahead of the 2018 season and last September penned a deal until the end of 2020 after kicking a club-high 26 goals.

Theoretically, Gowers could refuse to sign a contract beyond 2020 at Whitten Oval and pursue free agency, even though he will have only been at the club for three seasons. Under old legislation, the only avenue Gowers would have had to move to a third club would be via the national draft or the trade period.
Billy Gowers kicked 26 goals in his first season as a Bulldog.

The new rules also apply to players who have been delisted then re-drafted as a rookie by the same club, such as Melbourne’s Neville Jetta or St Kilda’s Lewis Pierce (out of contract this year). If Pierce enjoys a strong season in the ruck for the Saints, he could make the club pay for its decision to relegate him from the senior list to rookie list at the end of 2017.

Dylan Roberton, Maverick Weller, Jarryd Lyons, Anthony Miles, Sam Menegola, Josh Thomas, Joel Hamling, Mitch Robinson and Jordan Murdoch are just a selection of the players who have been shown the door from one club and, consequently, now have more power than any delisted players before them ever have had.

During the pay negotiations of 2017, the AFLPA gave the league three proposals, of which one had to be agreed upon by October of that year and implemented by 2019.

The first proposal was the aforementioned ‘free agency for life’ option. The second proposal was referred to as ‘portable’ free agency, which would have allowed players to carry over years of service to another club and reach the eight seasons required for free agency eligibility by spending some at one club and the remaining years at another.

The third proposal would have seen players who were being paid below the median salary by their club become restricted free agents after four years, instead of eight.

The latter two options were rejected and the AFL agreed to the ‘free agency for life’ model, which will be in place after the 2019 season. Another change will mean players no longer have to be a restricted free agent before becoming an unrestricted free agent.

Managers and clubs were sent details of these confirmed changes to free agency legislation on Tuesday and the league is expected to officially confirm them over the coming days, which will include a full list of out of contract players that are now eligible for delisted free agency at the end of the year.

The adjustment to free agency guidelines is seen by managers and players as a significant victory and is likely to increase post-season movement.

Perhaps I'm really simple, but why is increased post-season player movement seen as such a good thing? All I can think of is that it keeps the AFL and the talking heads relevant post AFL finals series well into December and keeps the AFL industry ticking over well beyond the season's finished.

Perhaps I'm really simple, but why is increased post-season player movement seen as such a good thing? All I can think of is that it keeps the AFL and the talking heads relevant post AFL finals series well into December and keeps the AFL industry ticking over well beyond the season's finished.

These players have been delisted at some point in their career though, I have no problem with them getting increased ability to move to a place of their choice.

This doesn't get close to the top of my concerns with FA/the draft.

I think you're still stuck with a bit of victim mentality.

How many in our 22 tomorrow are from other clubs? With Bundy not required and Adams injured. We're doing just fine.

We are getting a Brisbane Lions program on Channel 7 in Brisbane: https://www.lions.com.au/news/2019-03-22/lions-uncaged-on-channel-7

The season opener is just one sleep away, but Lions fans have more reason to celebrate with news their team has a dedicated show soon, #uncaged, to air on Channel 7 and 7mate in Queensland.

Filming for the program has already begun, with the first episode set to air on Sunday March 31st on 7mate at 11:30am AEST, prior to the Lions’ Round 2 clash against North Melbourne at Marvel Stadium.

Josie Fielding and Billy Bentley will host the show each week, with Lions players, coaches and staff to take centre stage.

The program will highlight the Club’s incredible match-day experiences, the players’ lives off-field, community programs, in depth feature pieces and retrospective flashbacks.

I think you're still stuck with a bit of victim mentality.

How many in our 22 tomorrow are from other clubs? With Bundy not required and Adams injured. We're doing just fine.

Plus it (the article at least) only refers to delisted free agents, so Lyons and Robinson, as well as Bastinac and Allison because we've delisted and rookied them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back