No NRL Expansion as NRL sign new TV deal

Remove this Banner Ad

every multi-code fan I've spoken to says the NRL Grand Final experience shits all over the AFL one due to the fact the NRL GF is full of mostly competing fans and the AFL GF is just neutrals.

You should speak to other people then. Seriously ?
if the 'experience is so much better why don't more people attend
or are your 'multi-code fans' just RU-RL-soccer-anti AFL fans?

I think a Perth team would get decent crowds compared to the sydney teams tbh.

Considering the average NRL H&A average is 15k I think Perth would struggle to deliver.
A competitive Perth side would probably grab 10k~12k. looking at history
and appreciating that the WA boom is long past over.

Perth people are a funny bunch I think a minority sport would have to be successful but with force gone might fill the void.

Perth people get behind new sports better than most but loose interest.
In this way I believe Perth gives false hope to many sports.
Perth has lost the Reds, the Force and nearly the Glory despite initially great starts.

I still think if WCE was(n't) such a huge success on field how heavy it would be supported.

Stop thinking and look at the Dockers !!!
Dockers are younger than the Eagles and haven't tasted success yet look at their drawing power.

The support is there for soccer at a broader level split across the many international leagues Oz kids earn their keep. These followers dont follow the A-league for a myriad of reasons.

Yes, people play soccer in Australia, especially in NSW, but the word 'support' is stretching it a bit.
Considering the number British of expats in Perth, the early support for Glory and the current levels of attendance for Glory then the support for soccer has definitely faltered in Perth. I would say that the offspring of expats have largely picked up the indigenous game. That goes for rugby as well. The buzz that surrounds a new team has certainly evaporated and more.

That article is mindblowing to me. I know that a lot of NRL clubs need the money - but if they've truly sold the right for the NRL to send them wherever the * they like, they've truly sold out their identity. If I were a Manly or a Cronulla fan, I think I'd prefer my team to die than to be outposted to Perth or Adelaide.

I'd also be concerned if I'm a Cronulla who've pissed off the NRL/ARL Commission in recent times, cos I have no faith that this game is professional enough to not get personal when it came to relocation.

Not looking good for my beloved Sea Eagles. Maybe they'll get sent to Adelaide.

Sad that's it come to something like this but maybe it has to happen.
Sea Eagles might get lucky that they're the only team in Northern Sydney, then again if it gets bad enough I'm sure they'll get moved.

That article is mindblowing to me. I know that a lot of NRL clubs need the money - but if they've truly sold the right for the NRL to send them wherever the **** they like, they've truly sold out their identity. If I were a Manly or a Cronulla fan, I think I'd prefer my team to die than to be outposted to Perth or Adelaide.

I'd also be concerned if I'm a Cronulla who've pissed off the NRL/ARL Commission in recent times, cos I have no faith that this game is professional enough to not get personal when it came to relocation.

The AFL has flourished since Fitzroy merged with Brisbane.

In all likelihood, it's probably more to do with centralising power and stopping clubs being obstinate.

Perth people get behind new sports better than most but loose interest.
In this way I believe Perth gives false hope to many sports.
Perth has lost the Reds, the Force and nearly the Glory despite initially great starts.

Stop thinking and look at the Dockers !!!
Dockers are younger than the Eagles and haven't tasted success yet look at their drawing power.

Not everyone got behind the Eagles, & most of those footy followers got on the Dockers .... a new NRL side in Perth should look to the Storm in Melbourne as a template.
Most footy fans in Melbourne keep an eye on them, I go to 1-2 games a year, been a fan of the Storm- Warriors Anzac day clash, great atmosphere in the rectangular AAMI Stadium.
The Storm are part of Melbournes sports DNA & a team needs a similar aspiration, dont even try to compete with footy.

Not everyone got behind the Eagles, & most of those footy followers got on the Dockers.

So you're saying football has it all wrapped up?

a new NRL side in Perth should look to the Storm in Melbourne as a template.

The NRL cannot afford another Storm.
This would be the worst possible time to think about expansion.
All those eastern-staters have left WA or worse still, their kids have been converted to football.
The NRL would have to clean up their act considerably to match the atmosphere of when the Reds were created.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you're saying football has it all wrapped up?

The NRL cannot afford another Storm.
This would be the worst possible time to think about expansion.
All those eastern-staters have left WA or worse still, their kids have been converted to football.
The NRL would have to clean up their act considerably to match the atmosphere of when the Reds were created.

The thing about the NRL is they realise there are too many teams in Sydney & I'd be surprised if they didnt relocate a club squad & put in WA based management, not relocate a club as the AFL has fiddled with for Tassie, given it squibbed the North to Gold Coast.
As for the early days at the Storm, it was the Super League era. Not sure how you suggest 'The NRL cannot afford another Storm.'

Not sure how you suggest 'The NRL cannot afford another Storm.'

They can't afford to let any relocated team fend for themselves like Melbourne has or growth at the grass roots level will be minimal.

The thing about the NRL is they realise there are too many teams in Sydney.'

Yes, relocation is a significant step below expansion.

Not sure how you suggest 'The NRL cannot afford another Storm.'

It's rather easy. The Storm were a debt-ridden millstone for a very very long time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back