Traded Jesse Hogan [traded with #65 to Fremantle for #6 and #23]

Remove this Banner Ad

Andrew dooesnt strike me as a mummys boy.

And little brothers often try to out do big brother. So why would he want to play under his big brothers shadow?

That knife cuts both ways.
Yeah Andy might want to play with his brother and try and finish higher than him in the BnF

I'll take cancel your account bets with anyone that Andy doesn't leave Freo within 10 years outside of an emergency (ie Beams to Brisbane style).

Expires today.
If I'm still using BigFooty in ten years I'll have bigger problems than Andrew Brayshaw continuing to contribute to Freo's bottom 6 finishes in 2029

So just to confirm you are not willing to bet?
Nah. For all the jokes I'm not that much of a sadist - I generally prefer it if everyone stays at the clubs they were drafted to, and I don't want to spend ten years hoping he leaves Freo :p I'm saying that hopefully I'll have deleted my account regardless ;)

I agree.

Play at a basket-case club and travel 8 hours on a plane every second weekend or play at the G in football's homeland with the Brother you look up to ?

It's a no brainer.

If basket case equals overturning 10 million more in revenue and having average home crowds of more than 1000 in 2018 despite not making finals, playing in a GF in the past 10 years, getting multiple priority picks and getting a coach via the AFL then yes Freo are a basket case club.

I agree.

Play at a basket-case club and travel 8 hours on a plane every second weekend or play at the G in football's homeland with the Brother you look up to ?

It's a no brainer.
Know your troll but how’d your powerhouse club go the other day ?..,
One decent season in 20 , hyped up for the flag and resort back to their usual mental disintegration

Lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being a lose-lose trade, in that Melbourne have lost what could have been a key component in a finals tilt and Freo's forwardline has enough key position forwardline talent with McCarthy, Cox, Taberner and Lobb. They could have banked that first rounder and added another talented midfielder to add to Cerra, Brayshaw et al.

Wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being a lose-lose trade, in that Melbourne have lost what could have been a key component in a finals tilt and Freo's forwardline has enough key position forwardline talent with McCarthy, Cox, Taberner and Lobb. They could have banked that first rounder and added another talented midfielder to add to Cerra, Brayshaw et al.
Weird idea about what a lose/lose trade means for Fremantle.

With a forward line many coaches want 2 KPFs (Hogan, Taberner/Cox) plus a forward/ruck (Lobb). McCarthy has shown that he isn't a KPF but more of a medium. In between kicking 5 on the weekend he clocked up nearly 15kms, and he is a similar size to Mundy and Fyfe. Hogan has also shown midfield ability.

Regardless, if they can't all fit into the same side, then no doubt they'll be traded, and given what Melbourne paid for May, should be a sweet deal. Pretty much anyway you slice it things are good for Fremantle.

Weird idea about what a lose/lose trade means for Fremantle.

With a forward line many coaches want 2 KPFs (Hogan, Taberner/Cox) plus a forward/ruck (Lobb). McCarthy has shown that he isn't a KPF but more of a medium. In between kicking 5 on the weekend he clocked up nearly 15kms, and he is a similar size to Mundy and Fyfe. Hogan has also shown midfield ability.

Regardless, if they can't all fit into the same side, then no doubt they'll be traded, and given what Melbourne paid for May, should be a sweet deal. Pretty much anyway you slice it things are good for Fremantle.

It’s about team balance, and Hogan doesn’t actually give you anything you don’t already have, albeit he’s a better player than those mentioned. Cox has the potential to be as good, and Taberner/Lobb/McCarthy is a good group to have around him. Then you’ve got big bodied midfielders to draft forward.

You’re using a big chunk cap space and a high draft pick on a bloke with apparent issues, and might not even be necessary anyway.

Melbourne have Tom McDonald and Weideman, also trading in Preuss as a ruck
With the plan to allow Gawn more time in the forward line. The draft pick traded from Fremantle got traded to the Gold Coast for Steven May, a key defender and Kade Kolodjashnij a run and carry type player, two areas Melbourne needed to strengthen.

you’re saying Freo has enough in the forward line they could use that pick to strengthen another area, that’s basically what Melbourne did.

Melbourne have Tom McDonald and Weideman, also trading in Preuss as a ruck
With the plan to allow Gawn more time in the forward line. The draft pick traded from Fremantle got traded to the Gold Coast for Steven May, a key defender and Kade Kolodjashnij a run and carry type player, two areas Melbourne needed to strengthen.

you’re saying Freo has enough in the forward line they could use that pick to strengthen another area, that’s basically what Melbourne did.

McDonald has one decent season as a KPF, while Weideman is still young and not a known commodity like Hogan was to Melbourne.

I'm not saying they haven't added to areas of need (which aren't glaring deficiencies), what I'm saying is they've given up a match-winner just as their premiership window is opening and are now relying heavily on Weideman to develop into an A-grader.

McDonald has one decent season as a KPF, while Weideman is still young and not a known commodity like Hogan was to Melbourne.

I'm not saying they haven't added to areas of need (which aren't glaring deficiencies), what I'm saying is they've given up a match-winner just as their premiership window is opening and are now relying heavily on Weideman to develop into an A-grader.
Depends how highly you rate Hogan, I wouldn’t say he is an A-Grade yet, he’s been a very good forward having 3 40 goal seasons, but I don’t think he has torn one game apart during his career where he was the standout player on the field. He’s struggled through his entire career against the top sides. Last year he only kicked multiple goals against top 8 sides in 2 games, Geelong round 1 3 goals, Richmond round 5 2 goals. His best games are when the team is well and truely on top, I don’t think he has ever been a match winner

Weideman while never puting a season together like Hogan, was best on ground in Melbourne first finals win in over a decade, he has proven he can be the match winner on the big stage.

Not sure if it’s been said in any of the early posts but Freo had him followed by a private dick for 2 weeks because of his known use of the Drink & drugs, they felt committed to him and thought it’ll be s bad look if they pulled out of the trade.

This from an ex player I know.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cox has the potential to be as good, .
I think you nailed why Hogan is different to Cox right there.

As well as that, they are quite different players with Hogan having the ability to run through the midfield, and Cox the ability to play in defence. We have no issues with cap space, so that's a bit irrelevant. And finally, if Cox does become even better and is surplus to requirements, then happy days. Geelong may want to trade him for Kelly, GCSs for Martin. Petrevski-Seton or Fisher may want to come home.

Not sure if it’s been said in any of the early posts but Freo had him followed by a private dick for 2 weeks because of his known use of the Drink & drugs, they felt committed to him and thought it’ll be s bad look if they pulled out of the trade.

This from an ex player I know.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Struggling to think how an ex-player would get this information. Fremantle has had very little information leak out in recent years.

Depends how highly you rate Hogan, I wouldn’t say he is an A-Grade yet, he’s been a very good forward having 3 40 goal seasons, but I don’t think he has torn one game apart during his career where he was the standout player on the field. He’s struggled through his entire career against the top sides. Last year he only kicked multiple goals against top 8 sides in 2 games, Geelong round 1 3 goals, Richmond round 5 2 goals. His best games are when the team is well and truely on top, I don’t think he has ever been a match winner

Weideman while never puting a season together like Hogan, was best on ground in Melbourne first finals win in over a decade, he has proven he can be the match winner on the big stage.
I'll take 3 x 40 goal seasons as a pretty good baseline. From there if we get the right combination of players around them and maintain the forward entries, I'm confident he will produce. Even better, that the forward line will produce, rather than being dependent on a single focus. Will also be a handy player to role through the midfield while Fyfe is "resting" forward.

I think you nailed why Hogan is different to Cox right there.

As well as that, they are quite different players with Hogan having the ability to run through the midfield, and Cox the ability to play in defence. We have no issues with cap space, so that's a bit irrelevant. And finally, if Cox does become even better and is surplus to requirements, then happy days. Geelong may want to trade him for Kelly, GCSs for Martin. Petrevski-Seton or Fisher may want to come home.

I would be hanging on to Cox, extremely underrated

Remove this Banner Ad

Back