Preview Round 1 2019, Collingwood vs Geelong, Friday March 22nd 7:50pm

Who will win?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t go top heavy down back against woods or it could be embarrassing. Clarke & Guthrie down back ? Oh boy could get ugly!
Team defence. If we are worried about their small forwards so much, it means that we've not done the right thing in the midfield, nor in our forward 50 (by scoring or creating turnovers).

I think he smoked Saad at one stage and he is lightning quick.

Yeah , he'll give you windburn when he flies past , no doubt :eek:
Watching him v Eagles in the JLT we were also impressed with his endurance - he worked up and down the ground constantly ( mainly on the opposite side of the play) hoping for the switch which didn't come unfortunately. As we saw from his highlights posted earlier if we create a situation where he runs forward into space he won't be caught and will run it to the goal line. Won't happen every play but we have it in our playbook to use sparingly.

The other guy who is surprisingly quick is Henry - he kept up with Jetta in a 40 metre sprint quite easily , started off with about 6 running together and ended up just those two at the end :thumbsu:

Team defence. If we are worried about their small forwards so much, it means that we've not done the right thing in the midfield, nor in our forward 50 (by scoring or creating turnovers).

Funny thing is they don't seem worried about our small forwards, with Roughead and Moore at 200 and 203cm also Maynard, Crisp, Howe and Langdon 4x190cms.

Funny thing is they don't seem worried about our small forwards, with Roughead and Moore at 200 and 203cm also Maynard, Crisp, Howe and Langdon 4x190cms.
Battle of the midfields. Once again, the key to this game rests with Stanley. Ruck is where we lost it last year. Doesn’t matter how good your midfield is - if the opposing mids get first use.

Forget backline heights and forward line speed. I just want Stanley to play a blinder.

Yeah , he'll give you windburn when he flies past , no doubt :eek:
Watching him v Eagles in the JLT we were also impressed with his endurance - he worked up and down the ground constantly ( mainly on the opposite side of the play) hoping for the switch which didn't come unfortunately. As we saw from his highlights posted earlier if we create a situation where he runs forward into space he won't be caught and will run it to the goal line. Won't happen every play but we have it in our playbook to use sparingly.

The other guy who is surprisingly quick is Henry - he kept up with Jetta in a 40 metre sprint quite easily , started off with about 6 running together and ended up just those two at the end :thumbsu:
I know his dad. since Jack was a rookie, he’s been banging on about how fast Jack is and what an overall athlete he is. Deceptively quick.

Battle of the midfields. Once again, the key to this game rests with Stanley. Ruck is where we lost it last year. Doesn’t matter how good your midfield is - if the opposing mids get first use.

Forget backline heights and forward line speed. I just want Stanley to play a blinder.
Grundy and Stanley both have the same strength in ruck contests - not the hitouts, but getting the ball in the resultant ground scramble, and getting it or their team-mates out.
If Stanley could win a couple of these early and himself break with the ball, it will force Grundy to play more defensively.
If the opposite happens, we'll be in trouble, Stanley's resilience being what it is.

So do l,... just making a point they're playing
4 guys 200cm and over we play 1.
The to tall mantra is a myth as far as we're concerned pure nonsense.

Personally l'd like Abbott in the mix ( to help Stanley), he's fast and powerful at ground level, can provide Stanley and key post support as well.
Hope they go with Constable who's also in form, as you say first use will be vital.

Last edited:
I like this Max.

I think you just go a bit more versatile round 1 with Henry at CHF. And you probably play Gary Rohan out of full forward a bit when Hawkins gets further up the ground. Rotate Dangerfield, Parfitt, Ablett as your deeper options throughout the day.

I don't like bringing buzza or fort in on a like for like basis.

Barring disaster Sav is playing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I need to see some footy ..Im tipping blind ... but gee the Pies read like they are going to be strong..

Theyve got a lot of players off very interrupted pre seasons. We are a chance if we play well.

Six new faces will make their Geelong debuts against the Pies at the MCG on Friday night.

Off-season recruits Luke Dahlhaus and Gary Rohan will play in the blue and white hoops for the first time after being named at half forward and in the forward pocket respectively.

In an incredible story of perseverance, former VFL star Tom Atkins will make his AFL debut alongside fellow 2018 draftee Jordan Clark.

“It feels great and a bit surreal,” said Atkins.

“It has all happened pretty quickly, I mean this time last year I was just getting ready for a VFL season, so I am absolutely stoked and very honoured and proud.”

Second-year Cats, Charlie Constable and Gryan Miers round out the new faces to the team set to play in front of a packed-out MCG under lights.

“Me and Gryan found out together which was obviously special because we got drafted together,” said Constable.

“It is a very special feeling and a proud moment for me and my family, and obviously I have been waiting a while now so that will make it all the more special and hopefully, I can go out there and play my role.”

AFL Round 1 Team

B: J Henry, M Blicavs, M O’Connor
HB: J Kolodjashnij, H Taylor, T Stewart
C: J Selwood, P Dangerfield, M Duncan
HF: L Dahlhaus, E Ratugolea, T Atkins
F: G Ablett, T Hawkins, G Rohan
R: R Stanley, T Kelly, B Parfitt
I/C: J Clark, G Miers, C Constable, S Menegola
EM: J Parsons, J Cunico, Q Narkle, R Abbott

https://www.geelongcats.com.au/news...fMUdWts0FosOYFJQPE2UIL0HYc2AsRcxWWdfTh37e5LYc

Happy to give all those new guys a run. O'Connor out for me. Not up to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back