Don't want, (or need) to start a new thread - still want to post it though

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
two days to our first game.

One day till team named.

Still profile pictures not updated on club website.

o_O

Only read about this yesterday, what a crazy world the internet can be sometimes, photo of Harris was a great shot.

AFLW star Tayla Harris says she has been “sexually abused” on social media and wants action taken against those who vilified her. As the federal government joined a chorus of condemnation on Wednesday, Harris said she is repulsed by some online comments regarding a photo of her kicking at goal.

The Seven Network’s handling of its social media post featuring the Harris photo. Seven deleted its post, citing “reprehensible” comments, but later reinstated the photo and apologised after being criticised for giving in to trolls.

Apparently our girl McIntosh also copped a fair bit on announcing her retirement.

A post on the AFL’s Facebook page celebrating the career of Collingwood’s Cecilia McIntosh, the AFLW’s oldest player as the 39-year-old announced her retirement, was also recently deleted in an attempt to remove inappropriate comments. McIntosh is a Commonwealth Games silver medallist in javelin and has also represented Australia in bobsled in the Winter Olympics. Such a decorated athlete deserves her career up in lights on the league’s social media accounts. Its removal removes her from more than just the Facebook timeline, it begins to remove her achievements and diminishes her value as an athlete in the broader narrative.

Very sad, that such vulgar posting happens.

It’s the really bad side of social media.

Fortunately we are calling out such boorish vulgar posting, it’s a small step at least.

It’s not hard, treat people with residual respect.

Awesome photo. Unfortunately, anyone familiar with the web will know what happened next. We get to see a bit of it here, sort of like partly filtered sewage stream, in the SRP board.

I do not know when it happened, when being a vile sociopathic arsehole somehow became ironic, or funny, or even supposedly laudable; when being a decent human being caring about other people became something to be condemned. Black is white, up is down, night is day in our new universe, the one in which the only moral purity is psychopathology, the only good is evil, the only worthwhile thing is being worthless.

Half the posters who inhabit the SRP board (and in particular the ones who only inhabit the SRP board) come across as pure wastes of oxygen who far from being troubled by that, wallow in the filth and excreta like happy pigs in s**t. I get that BF probably uses the SRP board as a sort of sacrificial anode to distract the troglodytes from turning every single board into a sewer, but at some stage they probably need to amputate to save the host.

two days to our first game.

One day till team named.

Still profile pictures not updated on club website.

o_O

A more important question...

Bear...in or out?

Very sad, that such vulgar posting happens.

It’s the really bad side of social media.

Fortunately we are calling out such boorish vulgar posting, it’s a small step at least.

It’s not hard, treat people with residual respect.

It’s worse than ‘boorish’ and ‘vulgar’ SV. It’s violent, hateful and threatening, and intended to intimidate and drive away those who are subject to it; away from the public sphere and the public eye because it all becomes just too hard and upsetting.

On a more positive note, I walked past Emma Grant, our AFLW vice-captain, in Smith St this afternoon. I congratulated her on the weekend’s win, and she was (I hope!) pleased at the intrusion.

Only read about this yesterday, what a crazy world the internet can be sometimes, photo of Harris was a great shot.

AFLW star Tayla Harris says she has been “sexually abused” on social media and wants action taken against those who vilified her. As the federal government joined a chorus of condemnation on Wednesday, Harris said she is repulsed by some online comments regarding a photo of her kicking at goal.

The Seven Network’s handling of its social media post featuring the Harris photo. Seven deleted its post, citing “reprehensible” comments, but later reinstated the photo and apologised after being criticised for giving in to trolls.

Apparently our girl McIntosh also copped a fair bit on announcing her retirement.

A post on the AFL’s Facebook page celebrating the career of Collingwood’s Cecilia McIntosh, the AFLW’s oldest player as the 39-year-old announced her retirement, was also recently deleted in an attempt to remove inappropriate comments. McIntosh is a Commonwealth Games silver medallist in javelin and has also represented Australia in bobsled in the Winter Olympics. Such a decorated athlete deserves her career up in lights on the league’s social media accounts. Its removal removes her from more than just the Facebook timeline, it begins to remove her achievements and diminishes her value as an athlete in the broader narrative.

I thought it was a great picture and was racking my mind WTF are people complaining about,A fit athlete kicking a football.

It’s worse than ‘boorish’ and ‘vulgar’ SV. It’s violent, hateful and threatening, and intended to intimidate and drive away those who are subject to it; away from the public sphere and the public eye because it all becomes just too hard and upsetting.

On a more positive note, I walked past Emma Grant, our AFLW vice-captain, in Smith St this afternoon. I congratulated her on the weekend’s win, and she was (I hope!) pleased at the intrusion.
You have described it better than I did.

Great shame.

Hopefully we all improve.

Last edited:
You have described it better than I did.

Great shame.

Hopefully we all improve.

I'm hoping so too, Saintly.

With any luck what we are going through is a bottoming out process following on from such a major change in how society works.

I'm by no means conservative when it comes to most of my views and I've embraced new technology since I was a kid, but I still can't see social media, on balance, being even remotely close to being a positive thing right now. We'd be 100% better off without it (and I understand the irony of saying that on what's basically a social media platform!). There are some great things about it. I met people on social media who were a major influence on improving my health for example. But the net gain/loss right now is hugely slanted towards the loss column. Problem is, the genie is out of the bottle now. We just need to learn how to tame it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This could be a few sides in the comp, but come end of the year, our 22 could feature players that have been drafted every year since 2004.

2004- Dunn
2005- Pendlebury
2006- Goldsack
2007- Greenwood
2008- Beams
2009- Thomas
2010- Howe
2011- Adams
2012- Grundy
2013- Scharenberg
2014- De Goey
2015- Sier
2016- Daicos
2017- Stephenson
2018- Quaynor

Also players that fit the usual year of birth for every draft since 2005.

2005- Dunn 1987
2006- Pendlebury 1988
2007- Greenwood 1989
2008- Beams 1990
2009- Thomas 1991
2010- Elliott 1992
2011- Adams 1993
2012- Grundy 1994
2013- Scharenberg 1995
2014- De Goey 1996
2015- Sier 1997
2016- Daicos 1998
2017- Stephenson 1999
2018- Quaynor 2000

I think some teams may lack players from weakish draft years such as 2009/2012, whilst we have Thomas and Grundy seemingly best 22.

I think the world is taking the wrong strategy in reacting to unpleasant online stuff. In fact, I think that holds true for a lot of offline - real life - situations too.

The reaction to the online geeks by Tayla Harris is understandable, but I just dont see the point of blowing these things up and highlighting what the geeks say. I think we all have a good grasp of the mindset of these so-called trolls. I saw a few female journalists call them woman-haters, and that might be so if they have been at it long enough. However, I think its almost certain that the trolls have suffered from severe bouts of sexual frustration currently or in the past. Maybe because they look funny... or lack confidence or are geeks.... the usual stuff, but I think either now or in the past, they would have lusted after a good looking woman like Tayla. If it develops into hate, it's probably an admission that they have given up. In the end, the comments they make say more about themselves than about anything else.

Of course, some of these idiots might be in "relationships" and i use that word loosely. I suppose on face value that would contradict my sexual frustration argument. That may be so. However, men seem to have an overwhelming need to put women in a particular box that makes these men feel in control. I'm no psychologist but I think it was freud that put a sexual slant on the greater majority of things that we do. I just remembered the Mick Malthouse Mo Hope situation. Obviously not sexual, but Mick has this old-school need to be protective of women, even when they dont want it. It's something he want to impose on her for his own benefit....

Anyway, my point is that the worst thing you can do is to react and say youre shocked... incensed....dismayed...etc etc. Once again, I understand Tayla's reaction but I dont see it addressing the issue.

I think it would be far more effective if people expressed concern to the troller for their comment and ask them how long it was since they had sex.... or what made them feel that they've lost control of their life.... In most situations, the troller should be pitied.

The current standard reaction of shock horror doesnt appear to be working. We need to get these trollers engaged in real life more. Get em outside to smell the roses. Get em to turn off these video games that they use to escape their meaningless existence. ....uummm... not likely eh

What do tickets at the gate go for?
Specifically at the G if it matters.
Tiketek is your friend

Will have all the pricing as to availability

Tiketek is your friend

Will have all the pricing as to availability
Thanks.
Any of the MCG games I select is only giving me the options of members and assorted reserve, none of which are applicable to me.
The site says General Public sales were available from 6th March also :think:

Thanks.
Any of the MCG games I select is only giving me the options of members and assorted reserve, none of which are applicable to me.
The site says General Public sales were available from 6th March also :think:

Google is your friend...…..

Ticketing FAQ. Visit the Fixture page and follow the ticket link to purchase. Some reserved seat ticket prices have changed in 2019, however, at the Melbourne venues the general admission price has increased to $27 for adults, $18 for concession and juniors remain at $5.

Google is your friend...…..

Ticketing FAQ. Visit the Fixture page and follow the ticket link to purchase. Some reserved seat ticket prices have changed in 2019, however, at the Melbourne venues the general admission price has increased to $27 for adults, $18 for concession and juniors remain at $5.
Sorry and thank you :thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back