Discussion Round 1, 2019 - Photos and Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, that's the one

View attachment 638138

I agree that it will look nice against the Crows on Saturday. It's been a while since they've worn the stripes against them though, as far back as about 2009-ish (when the Hawk head clash was introduced) they've been wearing white in away matches to Adelaide
Would've been 2008, 2007 Elimination Final Crows had to wear their clash against Hawthorn when Hawthorn didn't have one.

Would've been 2008, 2007 Elimination Final Crows had to wear their clash against Hawthorn when Hawthorn didn't have one.

Hawthorn were at "home" in 2007 final.

Game was played at Docklands because three finals were for MCG teams and none of them could be played on Friday Night (5 day break), as only WCE and Port could be played at that slot.

Hawthorn were at "home" in 2007 final.
Understand that, but somehow the Crows clashed with Hawthorn who didn't have a clash strip so therefore didn't clash with anyone (by 2007 standards). Not really complaining, it happened 12 years ago and Hawthorn got a clash jumper the next year but I'm pretty sure that's what happened.

Last edited:

Understand that, but somehow the Crows clashed with Hawthorn who didn't have a clash strip so therefore didn't clash with anyone (by 2007 standards). Not really complaining, it happened 12 years ago and Hawthorn got a clash jumper the next year but I'm pretty sure that's what happened.
Hawthorn didn't host Adelaide in the minor round so perhaps back then they only planned for that? Who'da thunk they might host Adelaide in a Final!

Hawthorn didn't host Adelaide in the minor round so perhaps back then they only planned for that? Who'da thunk they might host Adelaide in a Final!
Ah, Adelaide hosted them in Heritage Round that year, so adding a rainbow (well all the SANFL club colours) and a shield to the Crows guernsey and making the back of Hawthorn's jumper yellow solved the clash. Weird.

Ah, Adelaide hosted them in Heritage Round that year, so adding a rainbow (well all the SANFL club colours) and a shield to the Crows guernsey and making the back of Hawthorn's jumper yellow solved the clash. Weird.
Also no brown shorts clashing with navy guernsey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know to be honest? Maybe it just seems strange because I don't watch Carlton games haha

There is a generic ball with just the premiership season logo (with no year) for clubs that don’t have ball sponsors, but they’ve only been used by Brisbane in recent years.

do the runners now have sponsors on their shirts?

To steal a line from crow28, where have you been since 2005?

Initially the runners were sponsored by Rebel, then Bailey Ladders, then Woolworths, and now someone else

There is a generic ball with just the premiership season logo (with no year) for clubs that don’t have ball sponsors, but they’ve only been used by Brisbane in recent years.
Looking at google images Collingwood certainly have united on their ball, I guess it just hasn't crossed my mind when watching footy before.

Then again I doubt many people outside of this niche community have taken notice of it before

In other news they paint sponsor logos on the field in 6 places and some venues are known by sponsor names too.

Some teams have also been trialling different jumpers for away games. Could be interesting.

Looking at google images Collingwood certainly have united on their ball, I guess it just hasn't crossed my mind when watching footy before.

Then again I doubt many people outside of this niche community have taken notice of it before

Even before I was part of the FJGD community, I reckon I noticed that Geelong's home balls had NIB, Richmond's had The AFL Store and Carlton had Mistral. It's like sponsors logos on jumpers, I'd say most people tend to notice when they've changed. Small things like collars and templates are what the FJGD community has a knack for picking up on.

I'm fairly certain sponsors on the footy started around 1991-ish with Challenge Bank, then McDonald's, then Volkswagen, and then the clubs were allowed to pick their own from 2003/4-onward

Some teams have also been trialling different jumpers for away games. Could be interesting.
Seems pointless when we already have white shorts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back