Preview Round 1: GWS vs Essendon, Sydney Showgrounds, Sunday 24/03/2019 @ 3.20PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dumb question please
Tradionally the team we name is more or less gibberish, in terms of where players are named - Baguley on the wing, Zaka back pocket, etc. - right?
Yet the first 4 players named on the bench almost always end up playing.

Is there a rule that this has to be so? Otherwise would you do that - be all George Smiley about your players named on field, but completely telegraph the inclusion of players who fill the last 4 spots (much more useful information for the oppo to hold, I would have thought)?

Dumb question please
Tradionally the team we name is more or less gibberish, in terms of where players are named - Baguley on the wing, Zaka back pocket, etc. - right?

Is there a rule that this has to be so? Otherwise would you do that - be all George Smiley about your players named on field, but completely telegraph the inclusion of players who fill the last 4 spots (much more useful information for the oppo to hold, I would have thought)?
No. In fact it's not always how we do it.

Dumb question please

Ha your avatar that's the Langford I want to see on Sunday

Should win given GWS outs but very worried about whether we can just flick the switch after such a lacklustre JLT.

Imagine Guelfi will play....the other interchange players pick themselves.

Pharrrk we are a team of short people.....Merrett, Saad, Zaka, AMT, Smith, Shiel, Fantasia, Baguley, McGrath all under 183cm. Nine players, nearly half he team.

Should win given GWS outs but very worried about whether we can just flick the switch after such a lacklustre JLT.

Imagine Guelfi will play....the other interchange players pick themselves.

Pharrrk we are a team of short people.....Merrett, Saad, Zaka, AMT, Smith, Shiel, Fantasia, Baguley, McGrath all under 183cm. Nine players, nearly half he team.

I have often said we have some of the best short people in the league.
The tigers won a midget inspired flag.
The Eagles won a giant inspired flag.
Perhaps these things happen in patterns?

No Parish, yep he is rapidly becoming a depth player.

Well and truly surpassed by
Guelfi - the faster, taller better defensive guy who was picked 71 places later in the draft two years later. Predicted this one a long time ago.

I hope we can get something for Parish in a trade.
Lol.

Guelfi surpassed Parish despite last year averaging less disposals, tackles, clearances and disposal efficiency.

Centre clearances will be huge this season. Giants were 3rd in differential last year, we were 7th, however Ward and Shiel were 2 of the top 3 for them in this regard last year. If we can clamp down on Cogs, it will be huge.

Centre clearances will be huge this season. Giants were 3rd in differential last year, we were 7th, however Ward and Shiel were 2 of the top 3 for them in this regard last year. If we can clamp down on Cogs, it will be huge.
I didn't think Shiel was last year. He was equal first with Cogs and Ward in 2016 and second to Ward in 2017. From memory he average a couple of clearances a game last year.

Leon made it pretty clear in his presser we will still go head to head on Sunday and back our guys to get it done.

I'll be interested to see if the new rules favour McKernan when he rucks out of the centre. He's agile and has a decent leap for his size. If GWS have a short backline TBell might like his time forward. Leads up well and a reliable set shot.
I'm pretty sure the new rules will favour rucks who are good at ruck work. Smack is not.

I didn't think Shiel was last year. He was equal first with Cogs and Ward in 2016 and second to Ward in 2017. From memory he average a couple of clearances a game last year.

Leon made it pretty clear in his presser we will still go head to head on Sunday and back our guys to get it done.
Centre clearances, not overall clearances. And he averaged 4.5 last year in overall too by the way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I expect Zerk-Thatcher, Clarke, Laverde and Parish to miss.

I can understand why some would prefer Laverde and Parish over Baguley and Guelfi, its certainly well and truly up for debate.

I actually believe we need Guelfi in the team. If McGrath is playing as a legit midfielder then we do need a 3rd shorter option to play defense and I think Guelfi is the man. He's the guy I see taking over as that smaller lockdown player with McKenna and Saad being a bit more offensively orientated (though they certainly can defend too). I reckon there's always a spot for a genuine hard nosed utility somewhere in our team.

As for Baguley vs Laverde - whatever. You probably get a bit more defensive pressure out of Baguley, a bit more flexibility through the midfield with Laverde.

Parish could play ahead of any of these guys but he really didn't impress in the JLT, we have our entire midfield fit and available right now and he might just be the one to miss out right now. I still think he's a significant part of our future, but an early kick up the bum might not be the worst thing for him.

Centre clearances, not overall clearances. And he averaged 4.5 last year in overall too by the way.

Fair enough

I wasn't being critical. His game didn't drop off, he just had a different role to fit the team needs with Scully and William's out injured. I do think it cost him his AA spot last year though. Played as a hybrid mid that fully utilises his capacity he may well get it back this year.

I hope the final 22 is like this;-

Ambrose Hurley McKenna
Francis Margaret Saad
Zakka Myers Shiel
Fanta Brown Smith
Stringer McKernan Tippa

Bellcho Heppell McGrath

Merrett Langford Ridley Baguley

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Fair enough

I wasn't being critical. His game didn't drop off, he just had a different role to fit the team needs with Scully and William's out injured. I do think it cost him his AA spot last year though. Played as a hybrid mid that fully utilises his capacity he may well get it back this year.

How are you guys feeling about the game?

I must admit i didn't know you had so many guys under an injury cloud.
I had tipped you but am considering changing that.

How are you guys feeling about the game?

I must admit i didn't know you had so many guys under an injury cloud.
I had tipped you but am considering changing that.

I'm very bullish about our season.

Round 1 is always a mystery bag though. The injury list feels short to me after the last couple of years.

The impact of Ward missing is a big unkown. He holds the club record for the most consecutive games and hasn't missed a game since mid 2014. Second most durable is actually Shiel at this time.

Make of that what you will.

I get that it will favour decent tap ruckmen, but on those occasions where he's able to take possession it will be interesting to see if he has enough time and space to be productive.

The top ruckmen would destroy him imo, his lack of height means they can just reach over his head and tap to (even more) space than previously.

No. In fact it's not always how we do it.
Named on field. Will play.
Sorry for potentially being slow, but is there a rule about being named on field (vs being named on the bench) and playing? So, we might not have intention of playing 2.5 rucks but name Smack and Clarke in the forward line and Belly in the ruck for instance, as a kind of bluff to make the opponent's job of selecting their final squad that bit more difficult? I guess what I'm asking is, is "Named on field = will play" a rule or just a tradition?

Sorry for potentially being slow, but is there a rule about being named on field (vs being named on the bench) and playing? So, we might not have intention of playing 2.5 rucks but name Smack and Clarke in the forward line and Belly in the ruck for instance, as a kind of bluff to make the opponent's job of selecting their final squad that bit more difficult? I guess what I'm asking is, is "Named on field = will play" a rule or just a tradition?
Basically if you're in the starting 18 you're guaranteed on the Friday. Then from the bench you select 4 of the 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back