Preview Rnd 1 - Melbourne vs Port Adelaide 23th March 1:45pm

Remove this Banner Ad

You lads aren’t gonna bring me down- we are gonna steamroll the Power (apologies to my new Brazilian mate who barracks for Port).

From 'don't call a debutant a VFL player' to calling a debutant a VFL player within three minutes.
I've seen Wagner play several times. I've seen enough of him to know he's not going to have enough impact at AFL level. Very similar to his brother. Decent VFL players, but they aren't going to come into the senior team and stamp their spot in the best 22. It wont happen. He wouldn't be getting a game if Jeffy, AVB or maybe even KK was fit.

The difference with Hore, is i haven't seen him play at all. I've just read positive reviews about his performance on Raynor. Until I've seen him play a few games like Wagner, then I can't really make a judgement either way.

Don't get me wrong, Wagner probably has to play because with injuries etc, our lack of depth in the F50 is very thin and he plays that mid size forward role. And Hore gets a game because we are needing that one more small/mid sized defender. Hopefully he goes ok. Not expecting a BOG performance, however if he can lock down one of Ports small forwards, then he's done his job. Lets see how he goes..

Wagner seems to have a bit of speed. I'm not expecting much, but if he can bring forward pressure then he'll have earned his spot. He's still young enough to come good. Watching Hore in the JLT reminded me of David Mirra; beautiful kicking action that doesn't hit targets and a whole lot of shanked kicks. Having said that - JLT.

What sort of player is C Wagner?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I watched a lot of him last year and rate him highly.

Outside mid who can get his hands dirty when required. At VFL level seemed to find space really well and has good skills, finding targets in or around inside 50. Can also find the goals when given the chance. Seemed to have a big tank at VFL level.

He is like Stretch but a bit better in every facet of the game IMO.

If that all comes together at AFL level he should remain in our 22 for the season. My bet is North will be kicking themselves for not sticking with him.

I'm happy to give Hore an Wagner an opportunity with fresh eyes.

Been plenty look worse an then turn out alot better

Put it this way.

I am far less concerned about Wagner debuting this year than I was about Maynard last year. :p

Think we are at the stage in our progression that we can afford to carry a youngster into games to see what they've got.

Hawthorn, Sydney, Geelong have found some gems doing this along the way. Even if Wagner doesn't set the world alight I don't think he will cost us a game.

Put it this way.

I am far less concerned about Wagner debuting this year than I was about Maynard last year. :p

Think we are at the stage in our progression that we can afford to carry a youngster into games to see what they've got.

Hawthorn, Sydney, Geelong have found some gems doing this along the way. Even if Wagner doesn't set the world alight I don't think he will cost us a game.

Yeah everyone who says your bottom few win you games are dumb. Your bottom few are role players. If Oliver Brayshaw McDonald and Gawn play like s**t then Corey Wagner isn't winning us the game

Yeah everyone who says your bottom few win you games are dumb. Your bottom few are role players. If Oliver Brayshaw McDonald and Gawn play like s**t then Corey Wagner isn't winning us the game

Yeah this is where people don't understand the importance of coaching and game plan.

Richmond have a group of core elite players strategically placed around the ground, surrounded by 15-16 solid role players who wouldn't be considered close to elite. However, they work hard and have all bought into the game plan. Most of them can hit a target with a hand ball and kick into space if there are no easy options available to kick to, rather than risking kicking to an opposition player.

If we pick Tim Smith I'm convinced we're tanking

Really? I think Bull offers plenty... (obviously understand he's injured and therefore unavailable)...

But if fit, with the injuries right now, I'd have him pretty close to the 22.

Can pluck a mark, decent kick and attacks the footy hard (unfortunately often to his own physical cost).

Really? I think Bull offers plenty... (obviously understand he's injured and therefore unavailable)...

But if fit, with the injuries right now, I'd have him pretty close to the 22.

Can pluck a mark, decent kick and attacks the footy hard (unfortunately often to his own physical cost).

He’s a honest trier nothing more

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do i had a dream last night....well nightmare. We lost to port by 5 points, scores were 62 - 67.

Port by 5 points exact margin is paying $76 so i had to pur $10 on it, atleast if that comes true i have plenty of money to buy enough alcohol to wipe the game and the weekend from my memory.

I like Hunt being in the side. I've said it before but he has a weapon that very few in the AFL have and I think it's up to us (the club) to find a spot that suits that weapon. I like the idea of him in the forward line. It counters the 'he just runs fast and doesn't hit targets/no one knows what he is going to do - even himself' arguments I hear about him all the time. He's a good running shot at goal, can launch them from well outside 50 and lays a great tackle.

Defenders coming out of their line will know if he's around they have a second or so less than usual to dispose it and know they won't be able to catch him if he gets the ball in any sort of space.

If I was coach, i'd be pulling him aside and saying 'all we need from you is one goal a game and 10 tackles, and you have a spot'

I like Hunt being in the side. I've said it before but he has a weapon that very few in the AFL have and I think it's up to us (the club) to find a spot that suits that weapon. I like the idea of him in the forward line. It counters the 'he just runs fast and doesn't hit targets/no one knows what he is going to do - even himself' arguments I hear about him all the time. He's a good running shot at goal, can launch them from well outside 50 and lays a great tackle.

Defenders coming out of their line will know if he's around they have a second or so less than usual to dispose it and know they won't be able to catch him if he gets the ball in any sort of space.

If I was coach, i'd be pulling him aside and saying 'all we need from you is one goal a game and 10 tackles, and you have a spot'

He's failed in every attempt forward so far. Just because he runs fast doesn't mean he will know how to crumb, where to position himself or have a natural instinct of where the goals are.

I'm glad we have found him a spot but being wuick doesn't make you a good forward or Frost would still be at CHF

He's failed in every attempt forward so far. Just because he runs fast doesn't mean he will know how to crumb, where to position himself or have a natural instinct of where the goals are.

I'm glad we have found him a spot but being wuick doesn't make you a good forward or Frost would still be at CHF
I didn't say it would make him a good forward.

I said we need to find a spot for him in the side. He doesn't 'just run fast' either. Not that long ago he was changing games with his running goals, chase downs, last ditch spoils on the line etc.

I also can't remember him ever starting forward. I remember him being thrown forward as a hail mary and actually doing quite well.

EDIT: You're a complex character, TK. Absolutely idolise Dean Kent, who arguably hasn't/didn't do or contribute any more than someone like Hunt but then come up with a comment against him like that haha

Failed in every attempt? As far as I know he has played half a game up forward two years ago and kicked two goals and half a game in the JLT and kicked two goals. I'm not saying the guy is going to be a star forward but given the depth of our defence and lack of options regarding small forwards I don't understand your reluctance to play Hunt as a forward.

I didn't say it would make him a good forward.

I said we need to find a spot for him in the side. He doesn't 'just run fast' either. Not that long ago he was changing games with his running goals, chase downs, last ditch spoils on the line etc.

I also can't remember him ever starting forward. I remember him being thrown forward as a hail mary and actually doing quite well.

EDIT: You're a complex character, TK. Absolutely idolise Dean Kent, who arguably hasn't/didn't do or contribute any more than someone like Hunt but then come up with a comment against him like that haha

I don't think I'm too complex.
Dislike the blokes who get showered with too much praise early ignoring their flawes (Hogan, Brayshaw, Omac, Hunt) an have a bias to the more blue collar scrapper types who get criticized early (Tapscott, AVB, ANB, Harmes, Kent, Frost)

I agree that a Hunt playing at his best is something the side needs badly but I'm not convinced he's an intelligent enough footballer to make it as a forward.

Basically if Hunt starts dumping people as they kick I'll back him in

Failed in every attempt? As far as I know he has played half a game up forward two years ago and kicked two goals and half a game in the JLT and kicked two goals. I'm not saying the guy is going to be a star forward but given the depth of our defence and lack of options regarding small forwards I don't understand your reluctance to play Hunt as a forward.

He's been thrown forward a few times.
The Essendon game with Salem was one.

I'm not against, just yet to be convinced it's some game changing move

Please don't use JLT. James Sellar kicked a bag in the JLT an was horrific.

Nah I never mentioned anything about game changing move. I just like him in the side haha.

We're a more difficult side to match up on with him in it, I reckon.

The main problem with players like him is that as soon as he has even a remotely quiet game, he'll be dropped or have his position changed or both. I see him as an impact player. Someone who's job it is to kick a goal against the run of play or come up with a great chase down tackle that swings momentum, stuff like that.

I don't see him as someone who needs to be constantly involved in order to be doing his job. It's the same with Garlett. I just want him to kick his 2 goals a game and set up a couple more and that's job done. Maybe a few tackles but these days forwards are judged on their defence more than kicking goals.

It's going to be a scrappy match and I have that sinking feeling in my guts that we're going to lose

Paddy Ryder will kick 6 on OMAC at FF wearing that stupid helmet

Not worried about Ryder forward. If we win the midfield battle I recon our forward line is better than their back line. Should kick a big enough score to cover Ryder kicking a bag.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back