Preview R1 v St Kilda @ Marvel Stadium (Sunday, March 24)

Remove this Banner Ad

It is very easy to send a message and name the other 14 people on the list.
Both Martin and Ah Chee are first round pick , sending strong message so early in the season going to end up like KK and scrimshaw type of value end of the season .

I don't think Martin or maybe Ah Chee want to commit to the team beyond this year .
I think Martin will play but also clear from what I've seen, he's not overly committed and I've yet to see Ah Chee show continual form. I personally think he's (Ah Chee) a forward only and hasn't really been given a chance to show his talent in a more attacking position. I'd like to see him get a chance and then if he doesn't shine, like Martin he might as well go (along with maybe Brodie).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Martin will play but also clear from what I've seen, he's not overly committed and I've yet to see Ah Chee show continual form. I personally think he's (Ah Chee) a forward only and hasn't really been given a chance to show his talent in a more attacking position. I'd like to see him get a chance and then if he doesn't shine, like Martin he might as well go (along with maybe Brodie).
I don't get the coaches tbh. He was supposedly training with the forwards/mids during off season, killed it in the prac match as a forward/mid against Brisbane and then both JLT's he played back?

Very clearly a forward. Play him forward.

I do agree , just my opinion I think Dew need to tweak his game style to avoid unnecessary injuries , Sydney game style are more suitable for a mature team that play finals every season, GC need to get the basic like handball and kicking right before even talking about zoning . A lot of players in the team can't handball or kick the ball when under a bit of pressure .

I don't get the coaches tbh. He was supposedly training with the forwards/mids during off season, killed it in the prac match as a forward/mid against Brisbane and then both JLT's he played back?

I can only assume they're playing him back to learn some defensive skills. It's not like we're making finals so they might be trying use this as development year for some players.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why all that scepticism about Martin, Ah Chee? Every time player is not in the best 22 he will leave? Crazy. We actually got some depth and it's not easy to select best 22.

Martin had the best preseason, best player according to Dew, Miles. JLT is preparation for the season. Martin is clear best 22 and does not have to prove anything, does not fight for the spot, just using JLT to get ready for season. Based on JLT one would have to drop Miles, Swallow too? Bowes and Fiorini are certain starters and were also put on interchange yesterday. Have some faith. He could also had a niggle in training this week, could be sick, struggle to get up, etc. We will find out this arvo anyway.

Ah Chee is a different story. Fighting for the spot in the best 22. I would choose Powell over him based what I have seen so far this preseason. Also it depends on St Kilda match ups.

It's not exactly that simple though is it? Who do you take out of our forward line to make room for Ah Chee? Unless Sexton is out injured or Cal can crack into a forward/mid rotation ahead of Swallow or Ainsworth I don't see how he gets selected to play up the ground.

As average as Cal looked in defence during the JLT - his pace, penetrating kick/handball and physicality are all attributes that we are definitely going to need in defence this year. A bit more familiarity with our defensive structures and bit of work on his kick and he gets a game in defence every week IMO.

It's not exactly that simple though is it? Who do you take out of our forward line to make room for Ah Chee? Unless Sexton is out injured or Cal can crack into a forward/mid rotation ahead of Swallow or Ainsworth I don't see how he gets selected to play up the ground.

As average as Cal looked in defence during the JLT - his pace, penetrating kick/handball and physicality are all attributes that we are definitely going to need in defence this year. A bit more familiarity with our defensive structures and bit of work on his kick and he gets a game in defence every week IMO.

I’m a bit over it with Ah Chee. He’s never done anything to enthuse us. How the hell was he ever good enough to be a top 10 pick.

I’m a bit over it with Ah Chee. He’s never done anything to enthuse us. How the hell was he ever good enough to be a top 10 pick.
Had a couple of bags of 5 and everyone got jiggy
But compare him to Sexxy and they are well separated in terms of development now
Kind of trying to find a spot for him now
Weller is pushing further upfield now which means they're trying to slot Cal in behind him, but good God he's loose
Don't want to point fingers, but he didn't cover himself in glory in the St Kilda loss at Metricon last year
There's a couple hundred Cal's rolling around in the AFL trying to be first 22 tbh

I'm not really over with Ah chee, if GCS can get good draft pick from him back who want KK and Schrimshaw type of draft pick in return .

Also depending on conditions (if the roof is closed) could see us maybe putting Day in to stretch the undersized St Kilda defence. However, would require us to be precise with our kicking as our forward line wouldn't be able to put tons of pressure on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back