Preview Round 1 2019: Adelaide vs Hawthorn, AO,Saturday 23rd of March 4:35 P.M.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does everyone think of Sis going up forward again?? - I would have had him at CHB if no Brand.

Can’t wait for the season to start. Have never been as underwhelmed by summer sport as the summer just gone.

Will be scarfed up with a dusty bottle of red and the family in front of the TV watching this match. Good luck to all of you traveling.

GO HAWKS!

- CS

Close there Fp.. ;)

Rolling the dice with Gunston & Brand 80% with that ankle I’d say.
A 90% Gunston at FF is better that a 80% Brand at CHB chasing Lynch.
Mirra is an odd selection but strats will play tall with Chip & roll through the match ups throughout the game anyway.
My guess would be Gunston out & Lewis in CHF, Rough FF.

Nash Lewis Breust
Sicily Rough Poppy

Rough out of the square with Lewis & Sicily at 30m... looks pretty dangerous to me at 6/6/6 with the other boys hitting up front & square.
Pace to burn & Breust as one of the best readers off hands going around running at goal.

We will win by 4 goals if the boys can win the clearances.

I rate B Crouch pretty high but not necessarily their midfield, as talented as it looks on paper they all really have to be in some good form to have a hurt factor. I think we match up well against the Crows in that area.
Brand has no fitness query if he doesnt play its because we preferred someone else

Really looking forward to tomorrow. :fire:

I'm thinking Brand not playing means he is still sore from Reiwolds 'Greene Karate' kick.

The interesting thing for me is this will be the first time we actually see a fit and firing Ceglar and I have no idea what that will look like. Does it mean that Bigboy and Ceglar play 50/50 ruck. Where do they rest, in the forward line or backline. Is it Bigboy back and Ceglar forward and Sicily and Gunston swapping around as well? Just to have two fit and firing Rucks will change how we play dramatically and we could really test every team with this set-up, especially the one ruck teams.

I feel the possible rise of Scrimshaw as the interceptor and piercing kicker out of the backline means Sicily can play forward but then swap back when Scrimmers is off the ground as he still needs to build his tank.

Rapt for Cousins to be in as I really enjoyed watching him at Box Hill in the finals last year. Good worker and what he showed in JLT to me means he is learning quickly and happy to work hard.

Jaeger could go berserk this year which is frigging exciting!

I'm getting around the boys to be much much better than al the pundits have predicted!!

Last edited:
It tells me Gunston isn’t going to play. Brand in and Sicily forward for Gunston out.

Could very well be the case, however I would be more inclined to leave Sicily in the backline, where he dominates and put Brand in the forward line.

We're hindering his development by continually bringing him in and out if the team, if the don't rate him as a defender then try him as a forward.

Simple.

I actually think he'd surprise a few of us.

Brand is tall but he is ordinary ,don’t pin your hopes on him changing our season

I'd prefer him over Mirra if you're talking about average players.

It's hard for the kid to change his instincts as a forward and develop his craft as a defender, when he is continually in and out of the side.

We need to figure out where he's best suited and give him a good run at it.

Last edited:
Could very well be the case, however I would be more inclined to leave Sicily in the backline, where he dominates and put Brand in the forward line.

We're hindering his development by continually bringing him in and out if the team, if the don't rate him as a defender then try him as a forward.

Simple.

I actually think he'd surprise a few of us.

I agree we are hindering brand development buy playing mirra ahead of him.

With the addition of Scrimshaw and hopefully Birchall back on the park these guys are both intercept players and good buy foot who can play a similar role to sic down back.
We back our system.

I have a feeling the club will try there best to get sicily fwd this yr, we lack a fwd aerial threat on our list.

Last edited:

With the addition of Scrimshaw and hopefully Birchall back on the park these guys are both intercept players and good buy foot who can play a similar role to sic down back.
We back our system.

I have a feeling the club will try there best to get sicily fwd this yr, we lack a fwd aerial threat on our list.

Hindering his development? He's 25 this year, he's not the future or some kid who needs to develop any more, he's part of the same rotation as every other defender we've got. Mirra is 28. It's not like we're playing a 31 year old over a 22 year old or something.

I’m feeling a bit good about Sicily and Scrimshaw together in the same backline. Laser bootarama

Totally agree, I have also been saying for weeks that they'll make one of the best intercept/rebounding defender combinations in the league.

It's great to now see others are starting to show confidence in him and acknowledge what he'll add to the side.

Bloody wrapped for the kid!

We back our system.

As much as I like Sicily, he's very inconsistent as a forward.

However as a defender, he's truly going to be elite and a chance for the AA side.

Leave him where he is and trial Brand up forward.

He's a natural forward and if we've persisted with TOB for this long, then the least we could do is give Brand the same opportunity.

Like I said, I think he would surprise a few if given the opportunity.

What have we got to lose anyway?

Hindering his development? He's 25 this year, he's not the future or some kid who needs to develop any more, he's part of the same rotation as every other defender we've got. Mirra is 28. It's not like we're playing a 31 year old over a 22 year old or something.

What's the difference between what he's posted and you wanting O'Brien to get games in the backline, whilst others say he's not up to it? Both are the same age.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As much as I like Sicily, he's very inconsistent as a forward.

However as a defender, he's truly going to be elite and a chance for the AA side.

Leave him where he is and trial Brand up forward.

He's a natural forward and if we've persisted with TOB for this long, then the least we could do is give Brand the same opportunity.

Like I said, I think he would surprise a few if given the opportunity.

What have we got to lose anyway?

Personally I'm not sure about Brand as a forward, but I've never seen him play there.

Though I definitely agree about Sicily in the backline. He's been brilliant back there.

Really looking forward to tomorrow. :fire:

I'm thinking Brand not playing means he is still sore from Reiwolds 'Greene Karate' kick.

The interesting thing for me is this will be the first time we actually see a fit and firing Ceglar and I have no idea what that will look like. Does it mean that Bigboy and Ceglar play 50/50 ruck. Where do they rest, in the forward line or backline. Is it Bigboy back and Ceglar forward and Sicily and Gunston swapping around as well? Just to have two fit and firing Rucks will change how we play dramatically and we could really test every team with this set-up, especially the one ruck teams.

I feel the possible rise of Scrimshaw as the interceptor and piercing kicker out of the backline means Sicily can play forward but then swap back when Scrimmers is off the ground as he still needs to build his tank.

Rapt for Cousins to be in as I really enjoyed watching him at Box Hill in the finals last year. Good worker and what he showed in JLT to me means he is learning quickly and happy to work hard.

Jaeger could go berserk this year which is frigging exciting!

I'm getting around the boys to be much much better than al the pundits have predicted!!

I think you might be onto something here. I wouldn't be surprised if Big Boy rotated back to play on Walker. Wasn't it reported that it looked like he'd lost a bit weight in the offseason and was looking really trim?

Looking forward to the development of the kids.

Don't win...just get close enough to show progress and keep the top 5 pick

What's the difference between what he's posted and you wanting O'Brien to get games in the backline, whilst others say he's not up to it? Both are the same age.

What this guy said.

I've never said O'Brien is the future of the backline, or that anyone is stifling his development. I've said he should get a game there form permitting. His JLT form against Richmond wasn't good so I'm not too fussed he isn't there.

Terrible strawman argument.

Personally I'm not sure about Brand as a forward, but I've never seen him play there.

Though I definitely agree about Sicily in the backline. He's been brilliant back there.

That's the thing though, none of us have.

When he was drafted, we were all set for forwards so decided to educate him as a defender, which is fine.

All that I'm saying is that we're now struggling for another forward target and unfortunately TOB hasn't worked out so far.

We lose nothing by at least trying Brand where he is naturally suited and has played all of his footy, prior to being drafted.

If it doesn't work out then at least we'll have tried everything we could to address what is a massive hole in our list.

However, on the flip side he might actually break out as a 198cm, 30-40 goal a season forward.

But if we never try, we'll never know.

But he's not a natural defender though.

Try the kid forward and see what he's got.

But he's not a natural defender though.

Try the kid forward and see what he's got.

As a pick 66 all of 7 years ago, he's hardly a natural forward either.

There's as little upside to throwing Brand forward as there is to persisting with Schoenmakers and O'Brien there at this point.

Thankfully, our coaching staff aren't going to come out and make an awful decision like that, so the whole debate is pointless.

If we're experimenting/developing anyone as a key forward , its Mitch Lewis. I understand not playing him first up in hostile territory against a full strength crows outfit though

I'm glad Mirra got picked, he is better than our other med/tall defenders imo

Scrimshaw i'm not sure about, but i'll be interested to see how he goes.

we have a really good 22 this week without Wingard and Scully who would be guaranteed starting 22 this season and another 5-10 players on the cusp of debuts or games.

B: Hardwick, Frawley, Impey
HB: Burgoyne, Mirra, Stratton

C: Morrison, Shiels, Smith
R: McEvoy, Worpel, JOM

HF: Roughead, Nash, Sicily
F: Breust, Gunston, Puopolo

INT: Ceglar, Henderson, Cousins, Scrimshaw

looking forward to seeing if Worpel performs, how Mirra plays CHB, If Nash can tackle and run good lines and get an over the top goal or 2, also its exciting to see Sicily forward, whether he is better defender or forward? and to see Roughead play without the pressure of captaincy, which might help his form? also see Cousins and how he performs after a quality 2018 at VFL level and off the back of some very good pre-season performances.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back