Bigfooty General Metal Thread Mk.VII

Remove this Banner Ad

This new doco could be great.

Looks good, but I don't get why the bay area gets so much respect for being the thrash capitol, was it just cause it had more venues that catered or..?? Metallica was from LA, Megadeth & Slayer still are, then there's Dark Angel, Agent Steel, Suicidal Tendencies and more. I get that Exodus, Testament, Vio-Lence, Forbidden & a few others are from the bay area but it seems like LA made an equal if not greater contribution.

Looks good, but I don't get why the bay area gets so much respect for being the thrash capitol, was it just cause it had more venues that catered or..?? Metallica was from LA, Megadeth & Slayer still are, then there's Dark Angel, Agent Steel, Suicidal Tendencies and more. I get that Exodus, Testament, Vio-Lence, Forbidden & a few others are from the bay area but it seems like LA made an equal if not greater contribution.

While plenty of bands didn’t come from the Bay Area (San Francisco & Oakland) itself, all roads led there if you wanted to play in the early days. The thrash bands played there because they (thrash bands) couldn’t get consistent gigs in LA which was dominated by the Sunset Strip scene. There were numerous good venues in the Bay to play and they welcomed thrash whereas they found it hard to draw audiences/venues in LA. The glam bands moved/travelled to LA to play - the thrash bands headed to The Bay. And the more who came...the more local acts who started up in the area. Snowball effect.

Bands of note I can think of: Exodus, Testament, Death Angel, Heathen, Possessed, Vicious Rumours, Metal Church, Vio-Lence, Forbidden, Laaz Rocket, Sadus. Even Death moved to The Bay area for a while around 1985.

*Metallica relocated to San Francisco in 1983 in exchange for Cliff agreeing to join them as he wouldn't move to LA. Kirk already lived in San Francisco. They realised early on they needed to move out of LA to get good gigs as LA wasn’t welcoming to that style.

* Suicidal Tendencies were from Venice Beach but were banned from any live performances in LA from about 1984 and didn't play live there again until 1991.

Last edited:

Yeah ST had a fair issue with gang related violence.

Indeed. Especially Venice 13, the Mexican-American gang that lived in the area. Muir's trademark blue bandanna and violence at the band's performances also cited as evidence.

In their original lineup photo, drummer Amery Smith is wearing a flipped up hat and under the bill are the markings "V13", which are initials for the gang Venice 13. Smith was not a member of V13. The hat worn in the photo was borrowed from V13 member Steve Mayorga, brother of Suicidal Tendencies bassist Louiche Mayorga.

Eventually an entire gang sprang up around the group, the Suicidal Cycos (also known as the Suicidals, Suis or Suicidal Boyz) with chapters in Venice, Long Beach, Santa Monica, Orange County, Oceanside, San Diego and even a chapter in San Antonio, Texas.

* from Wikipedia

Indeed. Especially Venice 13, the Mexican-American gang that lived in the area. Muir's trademark blue bandanna and violence at the band's performances also cited as evidence.

In their original lineup photo, drummer Amery Smith is wearing a flipped up hat and under the bill are the markings "V13", which are initials for the gang Venice 13. Smith was not a member of V13. The hat worn in the photo was borrowed from V13 member Steve Mayorga, brother of Suicidal Tendencies bassist Louiche Mayorga.

Eventually an entire gang sprang up around the group, the Suicidal Cycos (also known as the Suicidals, Suis or Suicidal Boyz) with chapters in Venice, Long Beach, Santa Monica, Orange County, Oceanside, San Diego and even a chapter in San Antonio, Texas.

* from Wikipedia

And I thought I'd been in rough moshpits before..

Online now, curious to watch sometime over the weekend.
Not really a fan of their music ('kickstart' IS a classic though no doubt), but enjoyed the book

I am a Crue fan, but that book is amazing. Those guys were so far removed from the boundaries of decency and taste the rest of us live by, though my favourite part was the scene at rehab when Nikki realised that no matter how depraved they got, they could never match Ozzy.

And I thought I'd been in rough moshpits before..

I am a Crue fan, but that book is amazing. Those guys were so far removed from the boundaries of decency and taste the rest of us live by, though my favourite part was the scene at rehab when Nikki realised that no matter how depraved they got, they could never match Ozzy.

Pretty certain the ST gang turned on Mike Muir too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are these four new songs on the Motley Crue soundtrack? Old ones? Ole ones re-recorded? New songs? New songs with old style?

New songs. Although one is a Madonna cover (like a virgin). Daddy rock. Lame songs. They’re like Crüe:AM songs. D J Ashba probably wrote them. Not convinced Mick Mars plays on them either. Awful.

Last edited:
Report: New AC/DC Album Is Finished, Will Feature Malcolm Young’s Riffs

Lauryn Schaffner
February 5, 2019

With the recent news that Brian Johnson is allegedly back in AC/DC, the latest report is that AC/DC's new album is finished and will feature pre-recorded riffs from the late Malcolm Young.

Radio personality Eddie Trunk recently discussed his knowledge of AC/DC's current endeavors with a listener on SiriusXM Volume, stating that he has a "very well-placed, reliable source" who updated him on the band. "He told me to his knowledge, the album is, like you said, done, that they went to that studio in Canada and made this record," he says. Trunk then addresses the speculation of the record implementing Malcolm Young's riffs as being true, and refers to it as a tribute to the guitarist. He continues, "Malcolm had a bunch of stuff recorded that they worked off of and sort of incorporated into the record."

Trunk adds that the source told him he does not have any further details about how and when they will go about

Just watched The Dirt.

You can pick the eyes out of it if you want and yeah it was a bit cheesy in parts, but man I loved it.

The guy who played Ozzy nailed it.

Will watch again. Great fun.

Don't think I have NF. Have to ask Miss Deathevocation. Otherwise wait on dvd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back