Autopsy 2019 Rd 1 vs Richmond - Improved Blues go down by 33 points

Which players did you like the look of in Round 1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

He wont face fact our list is still a bit feeble ....somehow i dont think he has got the best out of our drafts either which concerns me...does he think out of the box to get things happening?....is he enthusiastic in finding ways to improve?...is he fiercely competitive?....we dont need a teacher anymore,we need someone who demands results.

I feel we are underperforming with our significant draft depth....Morale is still just ok...hunger is average..

One minute you say our list is feeble (which I agree with) and next minute you feel we are underperforming with our significant draft depth.

We still have gaping holes in our list, small defender, small forward, additional mid fielders, we could have solved some of those during last trade period, but didn’t.

Probably been mentioned already but how bloody good was it to have no new injuries......that we know of at least.
Didn’t like the look of McGovern hurting his back in the first qtr.
Not only no injuries. But that curse moving to the opposition. Three of their blokes were hit hard. Not good about Rance but better than it being us again.

Am I the only one pretty disappointed about last night? It was much the same as last year wasn't it?

Q1: They get the jump
Q2: We settle our nerves and claw back
Q3: We get close but aren't mentally strong enough to take the lead - see mental lapses like missed easy set shots (McKay, Dow)
Q4: They run away with it

Overall: A great effort where kids show plenty and need time to gel.

There are positives for sure but just felt more of the same story as last year.

Also I live near Charlie and see him out and about regularly. He's definitely enjoying a Richmond and Chapel St lifestyle but nothing to worry about, just a young lad having a good time when he can.
You can only be disappointed about losing surely. Talentwise its improved. And our good patches were better. Didnt think we were that bad when we werent good either except two ten minute periods when they got soft goals.

And that’s the question.

Every centre bounce Ed had attended would have been one that Walsh/Setters/Fisher/SPS/Cuningham/Dow didn’t.

Classic short v long term decision.

IMHO Ed playing on Cotchin wouldn’t have won us the game - but would have stunted the development of our young MID’s.

Play Ed forward for the long term betterment of the club.

Agree to disagree.

You can only be disappointed about losing surely. Talentwise its improved. And our good patches were better. Didnt think we were that bad when we werent good either except two ten minute periods when they got soft goals.
Yeah sure the additions of Walsh, Setters, McGovern and the emergence of Cunningham was pleasing. But in terms of game plan, pressure, cohesion and willingness to take the game on it was much the same. Not much use adding all this talent if we don't kick the same bad habits.

He wont face fact our list is still a bit feeble ....somehow i dont think he has got the best out of our drafts either which concerns me...does he think out of the box to get things happening?....is he enthusiastic in finding ways to improve?...is he fiercely competitive?....we dont need a teacher anymore,we need someone who demands results.

I feel we are underperforming with our significant draft depth....Morale is still just ok...hunger is average...

We need some mongrel,we need more hunger,if we win a few we need to keep winning....and put this phase behind us.

This isn't a bad point - I too am frustrated at the sheer amount of talent running around for us we have acquired through the draft, however continue to lose. We have Curnow, McKay and McGovern to relish in a new 666 setup and we can't even crack 70 points - flattening! However I still think it's early for Bolts to start roasting the kids demanding success you'd expect out of a challenging team. Millennial's are all about environment whilst they mature, from all reports along with communication skills, this is a strength of Boltons. I think his current game plan is very suss and he does go easy on the kids, but still feel he is our guy long-term.

One minute you say our list is feeble (which I agree with) and next minute you feel we are underperforming with our significant draft depth.

We still have gaping holes in our list, small defender, small forward, additional mid fielders, we could have solved some of those during last trade period, but didn’t.
Instead SOS choose to fix the gapping hole in our midfield.

I am ok with that decision

On last nights form I see no reason why Kade won’t play another season.Still makes good decisions,looks quick,good skills and most important provides leadership on the ground.

Kade will be a chance for the club record, wouldn’t surprise me. Just so durable and dependable.

There’s something about skinny, wiry types...either made of glass or concrete, not much in between

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you need to wait a little while before coming off the long run. I’m not sure players deserve this type of criticism after one match.
...But it's not one match is it? All of those players have been in the system at least 4 years. Bolton is expecting these guys who have been in the system a while now to stand up, and the newbies are already standing up and being counted. Another is Cunningham. We hear endless reports of how he tears it up at training and in the JLT then as soon as he gets to the big stage he doesn't know what to do with the ball. I do have more hope for him than the others though. I think Bolton needs to take him aside and say that he has free reign to be selfish and start having shots at goal. In fact. he gets dropped if he gives it off. I think the supporters would much rather him have a shot and miss, rather than continually looking like a scared rabbit who would rather give it off 10m out than to have a shot. Harsh I know. I really hope I'm wrong and will gladly take back my words, but as for the first 3 I mentioned, I have seen nothing but glimpses.

...But it's not one match is it? All of those players have been in the system at least 4 years. Bolton is expecting these guys who have been in the system a while now to stand up, and the newbies are already standing up and being counted. Another is Cunningham. We hear endless reports of how he tears it up at training and in the JLT then as soon as he gets to the big stage he doesn't know what to do with the ball. I do have more hope for him than the others though. I think Bolton needs to take him aside and say that he has free reign to be selfish and start having shots at goal. In fact. he gets dropped if he gives it off. I think the supporters would much rather him have a shot and miss, rather than continually looking like a scared rabbit who would rather give it off 10m out than to have a shot. Harsh I know. I really hope I'm wrong and will gladly take back my words, but as for the first 3 I mentioned, I have seen nothing but glimpses.
I’ll judge a player on what he produces in 2019. One game in. I’m prepared to wait before passing judgement.

Just on Charlie I get really frustrated with people claiming AFL players don't try.

Charlie ran 15km (pretty much the most of any player) in the game, was opposed to a player who has been AA for the last 5 years and had his marking been better in difficult conditions (remember Rance dropped two chest marks) he could have ended the night with 2 goals, 18 possessions and 6 marks.

It should be remembered that accusing a player of not trying, or partying to hard, is accusing people like Bolton and Russell of accepting that standard. Now I don't know those two personally but they certainly don't strike me as people who would accept that no matter how talented the culprit is.
Im sure he's trying his kms covered suggest that but atm is he invested and switched on 100% id suggest players that aren't quite totally mentally invested in the cause are the ones that are consistently dropping easy chest marks and totally misjudging his aerial work as he's also been doing .
Im sure its temporary but is a little concerning as its out of character .

Cunningham was close to being in our best three last night. Expect his confidence to soar in the next half a dozen games.

Was there. The one and only time I’ve ever had a ‘physical altercation’* with an opposition supporter in 40 years of going to the footy. Tosser giving a mate and I a send off as we left, as if he’d kicked the winning goal himself, after giving it to us all day and then cheering with the rest of the ferals at Kouta going down. Hate * and Collingwood, but always thought Richmond has the worst of the bad supporter elements that all teams have, including us, and I’ve experienced my share.

*’physical altercation’ because my brawling skills resemble a newborn colt trying to get a bee off its nose.

IIRC there have been 3 recent horrible instances of “supporters” bashing people:

Inside MCG last night
Outside MCG maybe 2 years ago
King St last year (went to court recently)

All Tigger supporters

the reality is our list is still weak
much improved from 2018......quite a bit stronger

however that would be a flattering comparison even for a Vfl team

Shove that up ya fat clacker, Roos!!!!
And old mate Wheatley on Gues Sen said "the match review committee should have upgraded it to medium contact (so he gets suspended), only for the good of the game"....wtf???
Jones shouldnt have to cop a fine....its garbage.

Walsh looks a star

First quarter was disgraceful

Overall summary - nothing to me to suggest we won't be in the wilderness for another decade

And yet both Collingwood and Essendon supporters I was near in JLT said (among themselves) how positively scary our midfield was set to be in a year or two.

The extreme positivity on this board gets up my nose. The hyper extreme negativity is worse.

Yeah sure the additions of Walsh, Setters, McGovern and the emergence of Cunningham was pleasing. But in terms of game plan, pressure, cohesion and willingness to take the game on it was much the same. Not much use adding all this talent if we don't kick the same bad habits.

This isn't a bad point - I too am frustrated at the sheer amount of talent running around for us we have acquired through the draft, however continue to lose. We have Curnow, McKay and McGovern to relish in a new 666 setup and we can't even crack 70 points - flattening! However I still think it's early for Bolts to start roasting the kids demanding success you'd expect out of a challenging team. Millennial's are all about environment whilst they mature, from all reports along with communication skills, this is a strength of Boltons. I think his current game plan is very suss and he does go easy on the kids, but still feel he is our guy long-term.

FWIW - average team score against Tiggers in 2018 was 71 points - and they played most of 2017 top 6 twice.

67 points against Tiggers on a sweaty slippery humid night is not as bad as you make it seem.

Back