GDFL Season 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey fellas, young Jonty Broughton has been picked up by Essendon VFL. Saw he kicked 9 in a game last year, what's he like? Quick? Obviously has an eye for the goals too.

Did anyone catch any practice matches?
Any good one worth watching this weekend coming?

Theres a huge clash Friday night, not to be missed, Belmont Lions v Western Eagles, get there early, to secure a good spot on the fence, but on a little bit more serious note the game is on and Belmont Lions will be very competitive this year, but all clubs have improved, cant wait for the GDFL season, should be fun, cheers

Theres a huge clash Friday night, not to be missed, Belmont Lions v Western Eagles, get there early, to secure a good spot on the fence, but on a little bit more serious note the game is on and Belmont Lions will be very competitive this year, but all clubs have improved, cant wait for the GDFL season, should be fun, cheers

Where’s the game being played Punchy?

I think they will be in the top 3 and really push for the flag but still hard to see anyone beating The premiers

Im not that confident in them as what everybody else seems to be. Last year they slipped a lot further than a few expected and just snuck into finals. Gillies is not expected to play the whole season. Brauman is a big in, Ive got it from someone at Banno that Tyquin wasnt sighted prior to Christmas etc. I think that middle of the pack between (around 5th) is where they will end up. Dont get me wrong, on their day they are as good as anyone but an aging list as well might start to catch up to them.

Did anyone catch any practice matches?
Any good one worth watching this weekend coming?

This is semi GDFL related but I see Winch had to cancel their reserves practice match this weekend against North Shore (still playing a senior game tho) as North Shore only have 24 players and I dont think they have any cricketers??? Not a good sign, could be a long year for Macca....
Also are we assuming the Ballan boys are staying at Ballan?

Do you think any of the bottom 5 might make a step up the ladder and surprise the Comp?

I think only Belmont will make a good size jump out of that lot. Theyve recruited well and had the building blocks last year. The others I wouldn’t have thought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Werribee up against Wyndham vale tomorrow for the last practice match. Been very impressive over the last few weeks. Should account for Wyndham Vale pretty easily. I’ll sneak down for a look

I’m somewhat interested in other peoples thoughts, i watched Belmont out at nth shore tonight and to be honest there were not too many Belmont boys actually playing in their team, Witney has improved their team for sure but not with local talent, sure as hell when he leaves, so do the bulk of the team which puts Belmont straight back to the wrong end of the ladder again.
Question is, is a premiership truly a premiership when won by a bunch of mercenaries with all your local player( juniors etc) sitting on the sidelines waiting in the wings

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Get down to Corio today (2pm) to watch the boys in action. Some new faces at training in the past few weeks which will get people talking

I’m somewhat interested in other peoples thoughts, i watched Belmont out at nth shore tonight and to be honest there were not too many Belmont boys actually playing in their team, Witney has improved their team for sure but not with local talent, sure as hell when he leaves, so do the bulk of the team which puts Belmont straight back to the wrong end of the ladder again.
Question is, is a premiership truly a premiership when won by a bunch of mercenaries with all your local player( juniors etc) sitting on the sidelines waiting in the wings

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

OK Dog Head, are you referring to Thomson winning it last year, no you didn't.... and would you write the same post if the Giants win it this year????
Belmont Lions are one of the few or even the only GDFL club who work hard and last year and this year have Auskick, 9s, 11, 13s, 15, 17, 19s, yes it is a struggle for numbers surrounded by Grovey and Sth Barwon but at least they have a junior complement thanks to our junior co-ordinator and club great Cogs.
AND to run out in ROUND 1 seniors we will have (or in the mix for selection) 9 ONE pointers, all from the juniors, Lachy and Jordy Edwards, Mitch Boal, Jay Kirwood, Keegan x 2 Bros, Brent Watkins, Billy Auger, Brad Edwards then Scott Pickett assistant senior coach, plus Nathan Frye playing coach of Reserves of which more kids are playing 2s....most of the recruits have wandered in from Uni or from mates already at the club saying it is a positive place to be around.
So dont continue to single Belmont out or do some homework on the other clubs, then post an apology. cheers, have a nice day.

OK Dog Head, are you referring to Thomson winning it last year, no you didn't.... and would you write the same post if the Giants win it this year????
Belmont Lions are one of the few or even the only GDFL club who work hard and last year and this year have Auskick, 9s, 11, 13s, 15, 17, 19s, yes it is a struggle for numbers surrounded by Grovey and Sth Barwon but at least they have a junior complement thanks to our junior co-ordinator and club great Cogs.
AND to run out in ROUND 1 seniors we will have (or in the mix for selection) 9 ONE pointers, all from the juniors, Lachy and Jordy Edwards, Mitch Boal, Jay Kirwood, Keegan x 2 Bros, Brent Watkins, Billy Auger, Brad Edwards then Scott Pickett assistant senior coach, plus Nathan Frye playing coach of Reserves of which more kids are playing 2s....most of the recruits have wandered in from Uni or from mates already at the club saying it is a positive place to be around.
So dont continue to single Belmont out or do some homework on the other clubs, then post an apology. cheers, have a nice day.

Attachments

• 54421973_10215629519063628_3706936125139451904_n.jpg
    54421973_10215629519063628_3706936125139451904_n.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 208
Bourke kicked 4 in a half. Hutchinson dominated. The juniors had a crack. Hopefully the devils will be more competitive this year.

Bourke kicked 4 in a half. Hutchinson dominated. The juniors had a crack. Hopefully the devils will be more competitive this year.

But have they improved as much as everyone else? You never like seeing a club struggle but right now the comp is improving more than ever before.

But have they improved as much as everyone else? You never like seeing a club struggle but right now the comp is improving more than ever before.
Definitely still have a long way to, hopefully just some improvement from previous years. If that happens it’s been a successful season. The coach has made it public it’s not about win loss ratio it’s about closing the losing margin difference

I just heard a strong rumour from a very reliable source why you are abit excited with Corio improving Point, I wont steal your thunder but good luck with your potential big signings to go with Bourke and Hutch, I hope it works out, be great for the club and the league.

Winch keep on adding decent players, be the team to watch.

Went down for a look at Werribee and Wyndham Vale. It was very tough conditions with the heat and wind but was impressed with the standard of both clubs. A few to watch for Werribee that I haven’t seen mentioned in articles was a couple of young recruits. Sean Wilson I think his name is, from Queensland and Rhys Bartolo, who comes from a soccer background I’m told. Both quick

Another big singing down at Thompson! Could we see the same thing that happened to inver happen to Thompson?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back