2019 Off-Season Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably went to another bar to drink more and try and intimidate someone else. Pussy.
speaking of tough guys....

on the raider forum i visit, i still visit, but they know im a ravens fan now. anyway, i troll hard there still. some take it too seriously....

---------------
Youre a punk bitch. I once offered to pitch in to bring you to an oakland tailgate. Your trolling bullshit isnt cute.

Ppl have a certain impression of raider fans and they wear it as a badge of honor. Well i'm that type of raider fan. There are others here like me, homers one. Don't act suprised when u encounter one especially when u wore those intimidating colors and pretended u were like us.
----

you think you're defending the sanctity of the raiders, like you're a champion of the people, fighting the good fight, a white knight.
getting way too offended by debate and light-heartedness.

you're losing the war by making it personal and getting all uptight.
you're losing the plot, bro.

loon in aisle 3....clean up....you spoke ill of my qb carr, i'm gonna don my eye patch and meet you in a dark alley. bwahahaha.
calm down dude, it's just debate, and often light-heartedness. you love da raiderrrrrrs, good on you, but dont let it turn you into a crazy person.

---------------

can't beat my mind :moustache:

on the raider forum i visit, i still visit, but they know im a ravens fan now. anyway, i troll hard there still. some take it too seriously....

---------------
Youre a punk bitch. I once offered to pitch in to bring you to an oakland tailgate. Your trolling bullshit isnt cute.

Ppl have a certain impression of raider fans and they wear it as a badge of honor. Well i'm that type of raider fan. There are others here like me, homers one. Don't act suprised when u encounter one especially when u wore those intimidating colors and pretended u were like us.
----

you think you're defending the sanctity of the raiders, like you're a champion of the people, fighting the good fight, a white knight.

loon in aisle 3....clean up....you spoke ill of my qb carr, i'm gonna don my eye patch and meet you in a dark alley. bwahahaha.
calm down dude, it's just debate, and often light-heartedness. you love da raiderrrrrrs, good on you, but dont let it turn you into a crazy person.

---------------

Good ole USA.

---------------

----

---------------

It would piss me off if some ex Bomber fan who openly flaunted barracked for another team, continually trolled Bomber site. If you’re not a fan anymore stay away.

NFLPA, agents at odds as CBA talks near (and the owners love it)

Posted by Mike Florio on March 17, 2019, 2:24 PM EDT

ap_19069497583906-e1552846774143.jpg

AP

Lost in the commencement of free agency was the climax to long-lingering hostilities between the NFL Players Association and the agents who represent players in contract negotiations.
A session between a group of players and a group of agents happened on Monday in conjunction with the NFLPA’s annual meetings. Based on communications with multiple sources, it did not go well. With the current Collective Bargaining Agreement expiring in less than two years, that will be music to the ears of the folks who have billions in their bank accounts.
PFT has obtained a copy of a memo sent by the NFLPA to all registered contract advisors explaining the tone and content of the meeting between approximately 60 players and six agents: Peter Schaffer, Christina Phillips, Jayson Chayut, Steve Caric, Pat Dye Jr., and Adisa Bakari.
“[P]layers were dismayed by the lack of any input by the agents on ‘real world’ options when the Owners are likely to push back strongly on changes to these and other economic and restriction issues,” the memo explains. “For example, there was no discussion on how we should collectively build leverage in order to substantially strengthen players’ ability to effectuate these changes and gains, and/or their plans to prepare players for a lockout or a strike. Rather, at times, the session turned into a lecture on why players ‘should’ believe that these issues are important and almost suggesting that they had the unilateral ability to simply change them. Accordingly, there was a general feeling among the players that the agents came into the session grossly underestimating our players’ understanding of complex CBA/negotiating issues; many of the agents’ remarks focused on emphasizing their value in the CBA negotiation process, and thus the session was clearly not as productive as it could have been.”
More will be written in subsequent items here about the economic and restriction issues. To the extent that the agents shared hard truths with players on key topics (for example, the owners will not relinquish the franchise tag without a major concession in return), the players shouldn’t shoot the messenger. To the extent that the players want to make significant gains in the next CBA (for example, getting rid of the franchise tag), the agents should realize that their role isn’t to tell the players why shouldn’t want these things but how they could at least try to go about getting them.
Based on the memo, it appears that one specific incident caused angst and concern among the players.
“During the meeting Peter Schaffer asserted that he represents the bulk — if not all — agents,” the memo explains. “There was a portion of the meeting when one agent made an unfortunate remark that many players interpreted as extremely condescending, and during a rather heated exchange about the ‘roles’ of the agents in this business, other agents specifically and personally targeted an Executive Committee member about the contract that he signed,” the memo explains. “The Player leadership does not know which agents are members of Mr. Schaffer’s representational group, and it may become important that current players know who these agents are in light of some of the comments and information learned during the meeting (including the existence of a derogatory email extolling agents to publicly attack a current player and his decision to represent himself).”
The member of the Executive Committee mentioned in the memo is Richard Sherman, and the reference is to the contract he negotiated for himself in 2018. A year later, multiple agents continue to believe it was a bad deal, and Sherman and other players (like Russell Okung, another member of the Executive Committee) continue to be upset about the criticism of Sherman’s deal.
The memo concludes with a statement from the NFLPA Executive Committee: “We do believe that agents can play an important role in helping to prepare our men for issues that matter to us, and we will continue to seek input, as we have in the past. We want to emphasize that contract advisors are, above all else, agents of this Player’s Union, and all agents owe a fiduciary duty to their clients and the collective body of players. The invitation extended to the agents to attend the auxiliary meeting was done in the hope of building better relationships and to provide a constructive conversation as we prepare for the expiration of the CBA. However, both the tone and specific statements by some of the agents showed an overall lack of understanding of the role of the elected player leadership and at times specifically demonstrated a lack of respect for the rights of players to represent themselves if they so choose.”
Schaffer provided a statement to PFT regarding the meeting, which as one source in the room explained to PFT ultimately resulted in progress, despite some difficult discussions early in the process.
“We want to thank the NFL Players Association for inviting several agents to attend the recent auxiliary meeting of the NFLPA Board of Representatives,” Schaffer said. “The agents in attendance were selected by the NFLPA, and represented a cross-section on the agent community and participated in the interest of solidarity and cohesion with all members of the NFLPA, in order to work together to build a strong relationship to identify both problems within our common interest profession, and solutions. The opportunity to have such varying perspectives and sharing of viewpoints in one room, particularly as we prepare for the upcoming expiration of our labor agreement, is rare and unique. It is step forward that the NFLPA allowed for and heard suggestions that led to spirited debates, without which there can be no real solutions and transparency. The agents attending shared with the players a common heartfelt passion for both the business and game of professional football. We look forward to future opportunities for various groups of agents and members of the NFLPA to gather and continue a dialogue for the betterment of all current, former and future NFL players.”
However it plays out from here, the union and the agents need to find a way to work together. Relentless criticism by agents of the 2011 CBA — criticism which often ignores the reality that NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith negotiated the best deal possible when faced with a workforce not inclined to miss a single game check — has slowly and surely pushed the two parties apart. It’s time for them to resolve those difference and get on the same page.
Which means that, initially, the players need to get on the same page about the agents, and the agents need to get on the same page about the players. Eventually, they will be facing a group of NFL and ownership representatives who have been on the same page for decades. And they will be intent on keeping the gains made in 2011 (they’ll say the current agreement works for both sides), they will try to get more, possibly under the threat of a lockout, and absent a lockout they will dare players to strike.
Unless players are willing to strike and make it stick for a full season, they need to be ready to use all other available tools in order to get the best possible deal, the kind of deal that both sides will be happy with over the long haul, ensuring the kind of labor peace that will fuel the ongoing growth of a game from which players, agents, owners, and many others benefit. That won’t happen until players and agents are operating in unison, the way that the owners always do and always will.
And if the players and agents can’t come together, the owners will win. Again.

The Titans trading for Tannehill is a funny move...I don't get it

Tannehill is just as injury prone if not more than Mariota, what sort of message does it send to a guy you have declared your franchise QB (even tho he does infact suck) ..

Perhaps they figure he needs a good kick up the arse and a backup capable of taking his starting role as Blaine Gabbert was no real threat to him... Tannehill tho, really 🤨... why not just draft a rookie instead.

Someone with some sort idea with what the Titans are up to here please help me out.

The Titans trading for Tannehill is a funny move...I don't get it

Tannehill is just as injury prone if not more than Mariota, what sort of message does it send to a guy you have declared your franchise QB (even tho he does infact suck) ..

Perhaps they figure he needs a good kick up the arse and a backup capable of taking his starting role as Blaine Gabbert was no real threat to him... Tannehill tho, really 🤨... why not just draft a rookie instead.

Someone with some sort idea with what the Titans are up to here please help me out.

Tannehill might be injury prone but he's an upgrade as a backup which is what they need. Any guy they draft to put a kick up Mariota's arse is going to take time to develop too, so that's a redundant move.

Dolphins trading Tannehill (plus paying for the draft pick as outlined above) only to pick up Fitzmagic is weirder though.

Tannehill might be injury prone but he's an upgrade as a backup which is what they need. Any guy they draft to put a kick up Mariota's arse is going to take time to develop too, so that's a redundant move.

Dolphins trading Tannehill (plus paying for the draft pick as outlined above) only to pick up Fitzmagic is weirder though.

I'm not sure of the contract and how much Miami's paying of Tannehills contract this year but he's on a hell of a lot of money for a backup. Still reckon Mariota would be wondering wtf is going on.

Fair point about the QBs from where the Titans are picking in the draft this year.

Miami drafting a QB surely.

I'm not sure of the contract and how much Miami's paying of Tannehills contract this year but he's on a hell of a lot of money for a backup. Still reckon Mariota would be wondering wtf is going on.

Fair point about the QBs from where the Titans are picking in the draft this year.

Miami drafting a QB surely.

He’ll be on $7m and Fins will pay $5m of that. Think Fins free up $25m on cap next year. Ross has virtually said they’re in rebuild.

Wonder if they’ll trade to get one of the QBs and Fitz just back up til rookie is ready

He’ll be on $7m and Fins will pay $5m of that. Think Fins free up $25m on cap next year. Ross has virtually said they’re in rebuild.

Wonder if they’ll trade to get one of the QBs and Fitz just back up til rookie is ready

That's not bad actually, for some reason I was thinking he was going to make 20m this year.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Full list of proposed NFL rules, bylaws and resolution changes for 2019
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 21, 2019, 7:16 PM EDT
gettyimages-1097216050-e1553210121125.jpg

Getty Images
The NFL has confirmed that the league will consider 16 proposed rule changes, six proposed bylaw changes and three proposed resolution changes at the March league meeting.
2019 Playing Rule Proposals Summary
1. By Competition Committee; to amend Rule 6 to make permanent the kickoff rule changes that were implemented during the 2018 season.
2. By Competition Committee; to amend Rule 12 to expand protection to a defenseless player.
3. By Competition Committee; to amend Rule 14, Section 5, Article 2 to change the enforcement of double fouls when there is a change of possession.
4. By Competition Committee; to amend Rule 11, Section 4, Article 2 to simplify the application of scrimmage kick rules for missed field goals.
5. By Competition Committee; to amend Rule 14, Section 2, Article 3 to allow teams to elect to enforce on the succeeding try or on the succeeding free kick an opponent’s personal or unsportsmanlike conduct foul committed during a touchdown.
6. By Competition Committee; to amend Rule 15, Section 2 for one year only to expand the reviewable plays in instant replay to include fouls for pass interference; also expands automatic replay reviews to include scoring plays and turnovers negated by a foul, and any Try attempt (extra point or two-point conversion).
6a. By Competition Committee; to amend Rule 15, Section 2 for one year only to expand the reviewable plays in instant replay to include all fouls for pass interference, roughing the passer, and unnecessary contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture; also expands automatic replay reviews to include scoring plays and turnovers negated by a foul, and any Try attempt (extra point or two-point conversion).
7 By Kansas City Chiefs; to amend Rule 16 to (1) allow both teams the opportunity to possess the ball at least one time in overtime, even if the first team to possess the ball in overtime scores a touchdown; (2) eliminate overtime for preseason; and (3) eliminate overtime coin toss so that winner of initial coin toss to begin game may choose whether to kick or receive, or which goal to defend.
8. By Denver; to amend Rule 6, Section 1, Article 1 to provide an alternative to the onside kick that would allow a team who is trailing in the game an opportunity to maintain possession of the ball after scoring.
9. By Washington; to amend Rule 15, Section 2 to subject all plays that occur during a game to coaches’ challenge by teams or review by the Officiating department in the instant replay system.
10. By Washington; to amend Rule 15, Section 2, Article 5 to add review of personal fouls as reviewable plays in the instant replay system.
11. By Kansas City; to amend Rule 15, Section 2, to add review of personal fouls (called or not called on the field) as plays subject to coaches’ challenge in the instant replay system.
12. By Carolina, Los Angeles Rams, Philadelphia, and Seattle; to amend Rule 15, Section 2, to add review of designated player safety-related fouls (called or not called on the field) as plays subject to coaches’ challenge in the instant replay system.
13. By Philadelphia; to amend Rule 15, Section 2, to add scoring plays and turnovers negated by a foul to be subject to automatic review in the instant replay system.
14. By Denver; to amend Rule 15, Section 2, to add all fourth down plays that are spotted short of the line to gain or goal line to be subject to automatic review in the instant replay system.
15. By Denver; to amend Rule 15, Section 2, to add all Try attempts (Extra point or Two-point conversion) to be subject to automatic review in the instant replay system.
16. By Competition Committee; to amend Rule 15, Section 1, Article 5 to allow League personnel to disqualify for both flagrant football and non-football acts.
2019 Bylaw Proposals Summary
1. By Buffalo; to amend Article XVII, Section 17.4 to liberalize the rule for reacquisition of a player assigned via waivers.
2. By Competition Committee; to amend Article XVII, Section 17.1 to provide clubs with more roster flexibility during training camp.
3. By Competition Committee; to amend Article XVIII, Section 18.1 to provide teams more effective access to players during the postseason.
4. By Competition Committee; to amend Article XIV, Section 14.3(B)(8) to make the tiebreaking procedures fairer for the selection meeting.
5. By Competition Committee; to amend Article XVII, Section 17.1 to provide additional roster spots during the preseason.
6. By Competition Committee; to amend Article XVII, Section 12.3 to offer more roster flexibility.
2019 Resolution Proposals Summary
G-1. By Competition Committee; to amend the Anti-Tampering Policy to permit an interested club to contact a Vested Veteran before clubs have been notified of the player’s termination via the Player Personnel Notice if (i) the players is not subject to the Waivers System and, (ii) the employer club has publicly announced the player’s release.
G-2. By Washington; to amend current League practices regarding teams’ post-game officiating inquiries and allow opposing teams to receive the League’s post-game responses to any officiating inquiries submitted by either team.
G-3. Withdrawn, By Philadelphia; to continue the annual tradition of having Dallas and Detroit play on Thanksgiving, provided that one of those clubs host a home game with the other club playing away, and alternating home and away games each subsequent season.

Still unsigned, C.J. Anderson feels disrespected

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 22, 2019, 9:16 AM EDT

gettyimages-1081689710-e1553260563595.jpg

Getty Images

When Rams running back Todd Gurley got hurt late last season, C.J. Anderson came in off the street, and the Rams’ offense didn’t miss a beat with Anderson replacing Gurley. So now that Anderson is a free agent, is he a hot commodity?
Nope. Anderson was asked by a fan on Twitter where he’s going to sign, and he said he doesn’t know. He then said he feels disrespected that he remains unsigned.
The disrespect is real,” Anderson wrote. “It is what It is. It’s the same story over and over. All I ever wanted was a full opportunity to play 16. My 16 vs anybody else 16 with no front office / coach trying to move me out the way or play we like this guy game. Just want a 16 all I ask.”
It’s easy to see why Anderson feels that way: The only season in his career when he started 16 games, he ran for 1,007 yards.
But while it’s easy to see why Anderson feels that way, it’s also to see why NFL teams aren’t rushing to offer him a lot of money. One of the things that last season in the NFL demonstrated is that expensive running backs can easily be replaced by lower-priced backups. In that respect, Anderson may be a victim of his own success.

NFL says it’s “always a possibility” a surprise rule change could be coming

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 22, 2019, 10:28 AM EDT

gettyimages-125589240-e1553264905236.jpg

Getty Images

A year ago the NFL put forward 10 proposed rule changes in the days before the annual ownership meeting in Phoenix. And then, days later, the biggest rule change came out of nowhere.
That rule change was the “lowering the helmet” rule, which passed unanimously even though it hadn’t even been part of the discussion before the meeting. Now the Competition Committee, which recently unveiled this year’s list of proposed rule changes, is saying it’s possible that another surprise change could come when the owners meet next week.
NFL executive vice president of football operations Troy Vincent said today that he hopes there are no surprises coming next week, but that when the owners get together and begin discussing ways they think they can improve the league, it’s always possible that they’ll change a rule quickly.
“Last year what happened was we got to meetings, and when membership comes together, we start analyzing, we start talking, there may be something,” Vincent said. “That’s always a possibility. That’s why we take things to the floor, we discuss. Membership always has that ability to put something forward.”
So if there’s another “surprise” rule change next week, no one should be surprised.

Proposed rule would let scoring teams enforce personal fouls on the PAT

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 22, 2019, 1:56 PM EDT

gettyimages-1030036702-e1553277390136.jpg

Getty Images

Under current NFL rules, if a team scores a touchdown on a play when their opponent commits a personal foul, that foul is enforced on the ensuing kickoff. Under a proposed rule change, that foul could be enforced on the point after touchdown.

The rule proposal, which will be considered at next week’s league meeting, says that, “On a touchdown, the penalty, whether a live ball or dead ball foul or a foul between downs, can be enforced on the succeeding kickoff or Try.”

In other words, if the offense scores a touchdown and the defense commits a late hit, the current rules move the ball 15 yards on the kickoff. But the proposal would allow the offense to choose to take the 15 yards either on the kickoff or on the extra point.

Most of the time, teams would probably still take the 15 yards on the kickoff. But late in a one- or two-point game, when moving the try half the distance to the goal line would make the try easier, the offense would likely choose to take it on the point after touchdown. It’s a proposal that makes sense.

Tyreek Hill‘s status with the Chiefs is very much in doubt. The embattled receiver is under investigation for allegedly abusing his child, and it’s unclear how that situation will resolve and whether or not he’ll be able to stay on the roster. But even without this scandal, Hill apparently wasn’t a lock to remain with the Chiefs. “Even if none of this happened, there were questions in Kansas City about whether they could re-sign” Hill, according to Jay Glazer of The Athletic.

Glazer “heard some rumblings at the start of free agency that his name was being thrown about in trade talks.” That’s surprising to hear, but Glazer is usually pretty plugged in and was right about the Giants trading Odell Beckham Jr. Hill was reportedly negotiating an extension with the Chiefs before this latest news broke, and it sounds like Hill was making some lofty demands. Hill is heading into the final year of his rookie deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back