Autopsy 2019 Rd 1 vs Richmond - Improved Blues go down by 33 points

Which players did you like the look of in Round 1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Plowman hard done by here, lol.

He just needs to be more angry, plays better that way, like we saw after the first quarter. He also understands the defensive caper quite well, in terms of strategic holding/scragging, playing the percentages, adept at ground level and in the air.

Don't think Marchbank can take the big boys like Dusty, Danger and De Goey.

Plowman hard done by here, lol.

He just needs to be more angry, plays better that way, like we saw after the first quarter. He also understands the defensive caper quite well, in terms of strategic holding/scragging, playing the percentages, adept at ground level and in the air.

Don't think Marchbank can take the big boys like Dusty, Danger and De Goey.
When Marchbank,Docherty,Willo get back plowmans gone.

He ran the 4th most Km in the game. He was at least making an effort at running. He wasn’t making any second effort attempts, agree.

Very surprised to see he ran that much.

On TV you only really see the contests, and when Charlie was directly in a contest he was very poor and looked lazy...didn't fight for good marking positions and will himself to impact the contest, Richmond rebounded easily pretty much everytime we kicked it to Charlie.

Not sure why there’s so much negativity around Plowman. Thought he was arguably one of the better backmen last night. Probably second behind Weiters.

For me, Garlett has to come out of that team. We need to stop pretending he’s a backman because he’ll never be one. Started the match on Rioli and was nowhere to be seen whenever Rioli had the pill.

Marchbank in, Garlett out IMO.

Plowman improved as the game went on. I recall three contests where he came third man up and let the ball get over the back though...biggest sin for a defender. Bolts even alluded to it as an area that needs to improve in the press conference.

Thought Garlett was good defensively...went when he had to. Could do with getting more of the ball but we may decide we prefer Simmo, Daisy and Newman being the main backline distributors. Didn't see much of Garlett, but Rioli didn't have much impact either.

Was an interesting game last night and i think the blues did well in the end

Carlton look to be 12-24 months and 3-4 players away from being genuine finals side

Ed Curnow
Garlett
Fasolo

The sooner these players are playing VFL the better

Loved the look of Walsh , Setterfield , Fisher and Cripps will win a Brownlow

Took me a while, but I did it. My first review piece.

Thought I'd do one for each match this year, just to keep myself occupied. A lot of what is said here is based on personal opinion and observation, so please try not to attack me. If there is anything out of line, I will ensure it is fixed.

Pieces won't be perfect (and this one isn't), but like the boys on the field I'm working on my own skills.

Carlton Football Club: The Round One Review

Not getting spoken about much, but really thought there was a lot to like about Cuningham last night.

Looked capable of doing a lot more than he actually did, as on a couple of occasions, he thought things through a little slowly, but that makes it 4 good games in a row from Dave. Not just lucky.
Is it me or is he more than doubling his output from last year?!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plowman improved as the game went on. I recall three contests where he came third man up and let the ball get over the back though...biggest sin for a defender. Bolts even alluded to it as an area that needs to improve in the press conference.

Thought Garlett was good defensively...went when he had to. Could do with getting more of the ball but we may decide we prefer Simmo, Daisy and Newman being the main backline distributors. Didn't see much of Garlett, but Rioli didn't have much impact either.

Rioli was playing?

Was an interesting game last night and i think the blues did well in the end

Carlton look to be 12-24 months and 3-4 players away from being genuine finals side

Ed Curnow
Garlett
Fasolo

The sooner these players are playing VFL the better

Loved the look of Walsh , Setterfield , Fisher and Cripps will win a Brownlow

I wouldnt say that too loudly, the tigers have lost their mystère,

Took me a while, but I did it. My first review piece.

Thought I'd do one for each match this year, just to keep myself occupied. A lot of what is said here is based on personal opinion and observation, so please try not to attack me. If there is anything out of line, I will ensure it is fixed.

Pieces won't be perfect (and this one isn't), but like the boys on the field I'm working on my own skills.

Carlton Football Club: The Round One Review

I am sure that your intentions were pure. But FMD starting the review with As predicted, it was a convincing win for the tigers was the best way to lose your audience. Quickly followed by this pearler all while still displaying their severe lack of footy skills .
Sorry mate but I had to stop reading. Thanks for your efforts C-

Plowman isn’t going anywhere, he’s basically our only ‘lockdown’ defender, and he does a pretty fair job on players of all sizes.

We can’t just stack backline with interceptors, freewheelers, and 3rd talls. Someone still has to do the ugly, boring, defensive stuff. That’s Plowman.

Unfortunately for him it’s a pretty unforgiving role. You can do everything right all game, have tons of 1% efforts, but the second you mess up - it’s generally gonna look terrible and cost a goal.

Ok. So finally got to watch the game.

Always Thought they would monster us at the start but that early blowout is unacceptable. Coaches must fix this beforehand or act more quickly to stop the bleeding in game.

everything else (fitness, cohesion etc) is a work in progress and there’s some reasonable signs.

Optimistic of better things in a few rounds.

I never made that assertion.

My point is about continual improvement.
ITs all about our list on paper.....IN 2018 when we lost DOC and GIBBS ....we got a one way ticket[they might as well shut the gates for the year] i hope we never see a list that weak ever again
Now in 2019 mainly with Walsh,Setterfield,Newman,Mc Gov...........much better

Plus we got Russell pushing them at AFL standard at the track........and now we see Cunners able to play a few quarters{he is excellent when going]...we need more of this,fitter and stronger......simple

BOLTON ??.......starting to remind me of Barker........just seems to waffle about stuff and not decisive and objective enough,selling too much hope and more waffle....

We need a fighter coach...back to the wall talent to define where we are coming from and brave enough to say things how they are.

Walls should mentor him..or David Parkin

Last edited:
Back