2019 Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

I honestly think McPharlin is the one we simply need to get involved with the club. The East Freo guys were very impressed with the coaching he did in his few months there as an assistant. Pay him whatever it takes to get him away from pharmacy or whatever he’s doing - it’ll be worth it.
Yeah of all our ex players so far he very much comes across as the guy most likely to make it as a coach.

I remember watching an interview with him as he left the ground at half time and ,think it was Mooney, asked him what they needed to do to improve/second half etc and he rattled off all this classic coach speak /tactics but in way that showed he clearly knew what he was on about/had to be done

Smart and articulated is our Luke.
If ever decides to go that way , I hope , think it’s be a good idea for him do some time over east/under Clarkson etc before coming back to freo well credentialed

Disagree. The club's rebuild philosophy is going to filter down through the playing group. Losing has become acceptable in the bigger picture. Players and senior staff are not under enough pressure/expectations to perform. The head honchos at our club have created a Carlton/Saints type of environment. It really is mind blowing considering the evidence for how s**t that approach has been.
I don't agree with this at all.

The players, especially the young ones are all fighting for a career. No way they are taking it easy "its fine Ross says we are rebuilding we are allowed to get flogged". You hear it all the time from past players about how all young players care about is getting a game. They have nowhere near the confidence to be slacking off at this stage and have plenty of motivation to give their all because if you don't, you get delisted.

You also have to think about what the opposing message would do. Imagine being the 3rd youngest list and having your messaging being "not making finals is a failure" - think you'd be heaping pressure on the players (whom already have the pressure of trying to get a game) when it is not a realistic outcome.

Facts are:
1) We have turned over heaps of players with lots of under 23 players (mostly draftees) = rebuild
2) Teams rebuilding take time to get going (you can check this historically)

I am also sure they have internal metrics to judge the players that we have no idea about.

Just stick with the facts. The cream will rise regardless. If you start adding opinions and emotions to it, you'll confuse people.

I am realistic. And i have had enough of the club getting walked over by the media & certain players.
Panic attacks ? Unable to get out of bed in the morning ? Withdrawing from freinds & family ? Hogan looks more than comfortable in front of the camera and in a team environment.
But if you want to be spoon fed bullshit. Enjoy.
Can you be realistic when you have no idea? Many people who have anxiety frequently report that people they disclose it to are surprised and often say things like "You'd be the last person I would've thought had it, you seem so confident". They get very good at masking it. Sometimes with overconfidence/risky behaviour.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

with all due respect, I think that is a terrible attitude for the club to have.
at the start of any of the past 3 seasons would anybody considered a good footy judge have picked the flag winner?
no chance!
I reckon this rebuild mantra is a losers' philosophy.
Get confident. Back ourselves in & enjoy the ride.
We've had a losers' mentality as a club for too long.
stranger things have happened.

With all due respect..... It’s not the club attitude. It’s mine.

I definitely don’t have a “Losers philosophy”, which is your interesting assessment of my comments.

Seems to me the term “losers philosophy “ is your words that you may believe it and may reflect your thoughts about the club, maybe what you friends are saying to you or a reflection of yourself. Either way don’t relate it to me.

With all due respect..... It’s not the club attitude. It’s mine.

I definitely don’t have a “Losers philosophy”, which is your interesting assessment of my comments.

Seems to me the term “losers philosophy “ is your words that you may believe it and may reflect your thoughts about the club, maybe what you friends are saying to you or a reflection of yourself. Either way don’t relate it to me.
I apologise for using the term and didn't mean to insult you in any way.
My poor vocabulary is to blame. I hope you can see my intentions as I was wanting our club to form a type of arrogance (again an emotive & possibly not exactly correct term) in order to get that ultimate result.
Once again, sorry & I definitely don't consider you a loser

I apologise for using the term and didn't mean to insult you in any way.
My poor vocabulary is to blame. I hope you can see my intentions as I was wanting our club to form a type of arrogance (again an emotive & possibly not exactly correct term) in order to get that ultimate result.
Once again, sorry & I definitely don't consider you a loser

No stress, actually agree that having a winning philosophy is critical in footy clubs. I am just giving my own assessment for 2019, hope I’m wrong but we are a fair way off top 4. Every Freo player should be going into a game believing they can win it.

Every Freo player should be going into a game believing they can win it.
The Geelong/Collingwood game would support that belief at this early stage of the season too. The key ingredient for mine is if the players can bring pressure to every available contest, which in the end is Lyon's forte. I didn't see anything in the 6/6/6 changes that would work against us, especially once we start to to get more of our bulls onto the paddock.

The Geelong/Collingwood game would support that belief at this early stage of the season too. The key ingredient for mine is if the players can bring pressure to every available contest, which in the end is Lyon's forte. I didn't see anything in the 6/6/6 changes that would work against us, especially once we start to to get more of our bulls onto the paddock.

Really ? Probably too early for big statements but it seemed to favour the players who can win their own footy to me , apart from having the best player in the comp at it I'm not sure it's a great strength of ours

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

It suits centre square clearances. Pace from the contest. Contested marking up forward. Quality crumbing up forward. Pace.

Unfortunately, going on last year, not much of that is a strength of ours.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back