Preview Round 1, 2019: St.Kilda v Gold Coast - Marvel Stadium, Sunday 24th March, 1:10PM AEDT *Parker, Wilkie & Kent Debut*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 74 83.1%
  • Suns

Votes: 15 16.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Max the great

Premiership Player
Feb 22, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Rather Clark in the VFL then playing HB or HF, develop his midfield abilities rather than having stints in the middle in the firsts.

He'll eventually replace Dunstan in few weeks, let's be honest now.

If Bruce rucks, our only option is Membrey. WTF. Parker is 188, he essentially qualifies for that 3rd tall? So we have like 2 mid sized targets upfront which I dont like.
Constable played mid tonight. He doesn't have to play HB or HF for the whole game. There isn't an age and experience restriction on the midfield. Show a bit of faith in the kids with talent and you reap the rewards.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Max the great

Premiership Player
Feb 22, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
A new season is about to kick off. Much to look forward to.

For a minute there I thought that's what being a footy fan was all about.

Instead we have the same old miserable sods bringing down what should be an exciting time.

I genuinely feel sad for some of you if that's all you have to look forward to in life. Very sad.
You would have to be one of the most condescending people in Victoria. Give it a rest

That selection suggests to me that someone is not quite right. I'm leaning towards El Capitan Valiente . No inside info, just pure guesswork.

Geary late out. McKenzie like for like. Wilkie defensive cover. One of Hind/Marshall/Clark to come in.

Noidenous

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2012
Climbing out your mum's window
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers, Manchester UTD
You would have to be one of the most condescending people in Victoria. Give it a rest

How dare anyone have concerns the coming season will turn out as ******* shambolic as the last.

Anyone with such a little man syndrome they have to play 'footy forum club justice warrior' all day, every day is the truly miserable.

Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Had a sleep on it...yup the selections are still pure madness!

Id be going with Marshall for Wilkie & Clark for Lonie.

Marshall back up ruck & a combination of McKenzie & Webster can cover a medium tall.

Clark to add midfield depth. We’ve got enough small forwards. And yes I understand Lonie finished last year off well but his jlt was underwhelming & to be honest I just don’t rate him!

Apart from that I’m pretty good. Would like to see Acres & Coff force their way into the team in the coming weeks.

May 10, 2013
Queensland
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm, Baghdadian Babes
I'd punch myself in the head if we lost to GC.

8B67B8BB-6167-4DD5-ABFB-9B8F3247DAC1.gif

The Boar

Premium Gold
Sep 17, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Changes I'd like to see:
Brown for Joyce (suspension)
Coffield for Savage or Newnes (when in form)
Clark for any under performing small.

I would like to see White push into the back 6 but looks unlikely.

I prefer the balance and speed without McCartin too.

The new guys will need to perform or they'll be out immediately. E.g. Wilkie out, Brown in, Joyce too CHB, Battle to bench / utility

On Pixel 2 XL using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mikka84

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 9, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
If Pierce goes down or is a run short, we’ll rely on Bruce and Wilkie to ruck. This worries me a lot. Bruce isn’t built for that role, especially coming off an injury riddled season. Wilkie is about a foot short.

I’m still a bit perplexed why Marshall didn’t get a run. One for team balance, but secondly he’s probably one of our brighter young lights. Play the kid. Every game.

Anyway - is what it is, let’s enjoy a big win and prepare for some real tests in coming weeks. The melts will be real. Save some for the month of hell coming soon.

cooperrules

Norm Smith Medallist
May 18, 2012
East Bentleigh
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Lakers, Leeds united
Constable played mid tonight. He doesn't have to play HB or HF for the whole game. There isn't an age and experience restriction on the midfield. Show a bit of faith in the kids with talent and you reap the rewards.

Spot on. Looked comfortable out there.

Are you eleven hours ahead of GMT?

I don't even know where Greenwich is.....but yeah it looks like it. We have daylight savings which ends on the 7th of April so we must go back to a straight 12 hours.

If Pierce goes down or is a run short, we’ll rely on Bruce and Wilkie to ruck. This worries me a lot. Bruce isn’t built for that role, especially coming off an injury riddled season. Wilkie is about a foot short.

I’m still a bit perplexed why Marshall didn’t get a run. One for team balance, but secondly he’s probably one of our brighter young lights. Play the kid. Every game.

Anyway - is what it is, let’s enjoy a big win and prepare for some real tests in coming weeks. The melts will be real. Save some for the month of hell coming soon.

Gold coast ran us off our feet last year, he's freaked out about the outside run and pace I think. Carrying an extra tall in limits that. As much as every one has talked up 2MP their tall players are below average, what they have is a heap of rebound and speed. I can see why the side doesn't want to carry an extra tall. If any side you can cobble it together it's this one. If they get their run going though we are in trouble.

Aug 15, 2009
Dubai, UAE
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
North Sydney Bears Rugby League
Gold coast ran us off our feet last year, he's freaked out about the outside run and pace I think. Carrying an extra tall in limits that. As much as every one has talked up 2MP their tall players are below average, what they have is a heap of rebound and speed. I can see why the side doesn't want to carry an extra tall. If any side you can cobble it together it's this one. If they get their run going though we are in trouble.
That’s exactly it. Time will tell if the selection is right.....

Another beautifully balanced side at selection.
And who says Richo doesn’t take any risks? He’s gone into the first game of a season where his job is on the line and hasn’t selected a midfield!

I don't see who you'd bring in though, Clark might get 15 possessions, Armo is probably not much better, Phillips is hardly established etc. Ross, Steele and Stuv are our only decent mids and all are named. Who ever doesn't like drafting mids is probably responsible. 5 years ago people were asking why we weren't drafting any.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Had a sleep on it...yup the selections are still pure madness!

Id be going with Marshall for Wilkie & Clark for Lonie.

Marshall back up ruck & a combination of McKenzie & Webster can cover a medium tall.

Clark to add midfield depth. We’ve got enough small forwards. And yes I understand Lonie finished last year off well but his jlt was underwhelming & to be honest I just don’t rate him!

Apart from that I’m pretty good. Would like to see Acres & Coff force their way into the team in the coming weeks.
Marshall is a forward ruck. He hasn’t really ever played back in the afl. If he played it’s for lonie not Wilkie. Well obviously as I’ve kept saying it I’d rather the 2 marking forward set up so I agree with Marshall not being selected unless he was our ruckman. For me it’s marshall or pierce. I would have Marshall every time. Also for me it’s Clark or McKenzie. I would have gone with Clark. So my side has Marshall in pierce out. Clark in. McKenzie oot. Only an opinion though. Our issue as a side still hasn’t been fixed through the middle. To many similar players who have little ability to play elsewhere which means we can’t run many through the middle. Probably another reason Clark missed out

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Another beautifully balanced side at selection.
And who says Richo doesn’t take any risks? He’s gone into the first game of a season where his job is on the line and hasn’t selected a midfield!
Complete rubbish. Picked everyone he could If it’s a job on the line side then Wilkie probably isnt playing for a start. Easy to criticise sheb you don’t have answers

Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
I don't get how people can't see this!? This whole so and so isn't ready business is rubbish! Blind Freddy can see Hunters talent... successful sides blood kids like him all the time when they are not 'ready'. If he was a mile off it and was going to look stupid out there it would make sense... but that is not the case!
It is the best way for him to learn! From the best in the business! It's not hard to show faith in these kids and the rewards are going to be more offen than not great.
The other arguement I've seen plenty of since selection is the 'match up' 'horses for courses one' surely that cannot be serious... a side in our situation main focus has to be development. We are not going to win the flag. Building a 22 to compete for a flag is the only way to go.
We are at the back of the pack and don't understand how to bridge the gap.
Everyone keeps saying have faith and trust selection... faith and trust doesn't build success. Hard choices and smart decisions do.

Of course, on the other hand, any Tom, Dick or Harry might argue that the bar has been raised for both Coff and Hunter.
Given their early drafting, maybe the selection committee is expecting a better, stronger, longer output as part of their development.
But, as Rowan Atkinson once said: "Tom was blind so could not see the combine harvester, Dick was deaf so could not hear the combine harvester, and
Harry was mute so could not warn his other two friends".

Marshall is a forward ruck. He hasn’t really ever played back in the afl. If he played it’s for lonie not Wilkie. Well obviously as I’ve kept saying it I’d rather the 2 marking forward set up so I agree with Marshall not being selected unless he was our ruckman. For me it’s marshall or pierce. I would have Marshall every time. Also for me it’s Clark or McKenzie. I would have gone with Clark. So my side has Marshall in pierce out. Clark in. McKenzie oot. Only an opinion though. Our issue as a side still hasn’t been fixed through the middle. To many similar players who have little ability to play elsewhere which means we can’t run many through the middle. Probably another reason Clark missed out

I think Clark probably has more ability to play on a wing, flank or pocket than most of our mids. I just think he's given himself a side that has experience in the middle because that's the only advantage GC have. They have a real no name spine but heaps of fast runners.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Of course, on the other hand, any Tom, Dick or Harry might argue that the bar has been raised for both Coff and Hunter.
Given their early drafting, maybe the selection committee is expecting a better, stronger, longer output as part of their development.
But, as Rowan Atkinson once said: "Tom was blind so could not see the combine harvester, Dick was deaf so could not hear the combine harvester, and
Harry was mute so could not warn his other two friends".

Wrong place to make sense. Better to be angry with selection without any knowledge of the process. I can never understand the rush to to play young kids every game. Its a tough game footy. Let them earn their keep.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Are you telling me, in the first game back for the year, after the debacle of last year -- I'm going to have to watch Bruce in the ******* ruck?

Or am I missing something? Who rucks when Pierce is knackered or worse, injured?

F F S

Wilkie or Bruce. Nothing wrong either. Better to pinch hit for 20 minutes a game than to select a player who will have limited time in the ruck and doesn't suit our other structures. If we are picking players based on injury its time to give the game away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back