Preview Round 1, 2019: St.Kilda v Gold Coast - Marvel Stadium, Sunday 24th March, 1:10PM AEDT *Parker, Wilkie & Kent Debut*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 74 83.1%
  • Suns

Votes: 15 16.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasnt suggesting he needed to be an elite runner, but more he has no elite tools other than his kicking. In sumnary he is a very good player but I dont believe he has the tools, belief or attitude to ever become elite player.
Hang on I’m a bit confused, how many scoring shots did billing’s have the last two years 37 goals 55 behinds.

I must be missing something because for a kid who has played largely as a h/f that’s elite production, just flip those numbers and tell me how many do it better.

Interesting 48 hours.

Personal opinions on selection aside, what I think we are seeing manifest is not insignificant number of those invested in this organisation losing almost complete faith in its leadership and current direction. Its actually the primary reason most people leave their jobs, disillusionment with the leadership.

When employees (or in this case supporters) reach this point, every decision is scrutinised and picked apart (this almost always begins internally and spreads beyond). It doesn't actually matter whether there is sound logic behind a specific decision or not. Once that faith in the leadership and their direction is lost, you will get different factions and cliques becoming increasingly vocal in their disagreement to everything from the choice of coffee in the breakroom to the selection of employees (however rightly or wrongly).

Very very hard to create or maintain a successful direction for any organisation when this is occurring, and it is very difficult to turn around. And if it is happening externally to any significant degree, it is almost certain to be happening internally. This never happens in isolation.

I think what we are seeing here is that a lot of supporters have either checked out, or are scrutinising every decision to down to extremely minute details (beyond what is 'normal' or the established standard). Yes Gringo is doing his "even Carlton rebuild better then us" routine that he does before round one every year (before Carlton proceed to lose 18+ of their games), but what you are seeing in the last 48 hours is mass dissatisfaction with almost every decision being made (recruitment, selection, medical department, employee retention, VFL etc).

Using this as a microcosm of the wider club and supporter base, you can assume that the main ones left outwardly defending the decisions being made are a clique of people whose livelihoods depend on the success of this regime, and a handful of others that have now invested so much social capital into a position of support that backtracking becomes unthinkable. So they dig in and support even harder, widening the chasm between them and the wider growing dissatisfied group.

Once an organisation fractures like this you are in a world of pain, and it takes something significant to turn it around from there. Replacing a significant leadership figure is usually the easiest and cleanest way forward, but unless you change the entrenched philosophies person x bought, that fix is just cosmetic. Its not usually something that can be turned around quickly either.

We have very clearly and publicly backed in the existing philosophy / approach (by keeping the figurehead and replacing the support staff). The first real test for that decision is tomorrow, and make no mistake it is a significant day. Drawing GC first up ensured that. People will say "its only rd 1" but it is a very public very significant test for the direction we have chosen. The comments in here about selection reflect what a big 48 hours it actually is. Tomorrow is the first big opportunity for a while to test individual / group positions that have been clearly demarcated, and potentially change neutral opinions towards either direction. That's why we are all on edge a bit.

I think most would concede, including potentially even Richo himself if asked privately, that 5 seconds of Gresh magic saved his job last year. Its a repeat of that game. Its round 1 of a new season, and the first real public test of 6 months of changes. Maybe I am stating the obvious, but I have a feeling all hell will break loose if we drop this one.

Great post, now they will come for you.

Using your business/leadership analogy, think what an organisation would do if results reflected what the football club has achieved over the past 5-6 years. No finals, a winning percentage of 34%, failure to recruit marquee signings, failure to develop on field leadership & a lack of any structure on the footy field that resembles a well run football team.

No it does not.

I'm confident the team picked will win tomorrow. It's not that hard, because it's only GC. This game is as much about establishing structures, etc, that the team become familiar with, allowing the players to be better prepared to take on better opponents; the kind of opponents that we need to beat to get off the bottom four.

I'm frustrated, because in the JLT we showed sane forward structures, with two talls, a medium-tall, and some smalls. Injury stopped that working, but selections made sense. Now, we've made a silly error. We'll get away with it this week, but we wont with better opposition.

And who's to say selections wont change next week?

I don't recall the club saying this is the 22 we are going to play all year and everyone misses out.

Using your business/leadership analogy, think what an organisation would do if results reflected what the football club has achieved over the past 5-6 years. No finals, a winning percentage of 34%, failure to recruit marquee signings, failure to develop on field leadership & a lack of any structure on the footy field that resembles a well run football team.
What’s the point of the post apart from knocking the club and trying to show how smart he is
We are in a new season. We haven’t played a real game. We have won both practice games. Even won or intraclub and now someone comes out with rubbish and worst of all writes it as if it’s fact.

BRB off to the Melbourne board...

That's some kind of shitting yourself effort. So many had their worst game for years. Get ahed of themselves every time. Beat good sides and let the trash roll them.

Meanwhile, Watts looks like gold and Petracca like utter crap.

Goes to show anything can happen in this game

How good is Rocky too, I remember everyone thought Rocky was average and we had Dunstan so a bull mid was over kill.

Don't understand, can only have one type of opinion on here now and anyone disagrees with EA they have 'come for him'?
Only the negative and hyperbolic can be the truth now?

Maybe a lot of what EA is close to the mark, other parts is in my opinion, made up and frankly a rubbish.

So if I agree with him I have to totally agree with everything he posted otherwise I have come for him?

Wow

Don't understand, can only have one type of opinion on here now and anyone disagrees with EA they have 'come for him'?
Only the negative and hyperbolic can be the truth now?

Maybe a lot of what EA is close to the mark, other parts is in my opinion, made up and frankly a rubbish.

So if I agree with him I have to totally agree with everything he posted otherwise I have come for him?

Wow

Cool, argue his point, joff. No issue here. Let’s just see if & who comes at him with personal insults. That’s what I meant by they will come for you. :thumbsu:

How good is Rocky too, I remember everyone thought Rocky was average and we had Dunstan so a bull mid was over kill.
Rocky and, gulp have to say it, Watts were very good.

Rozee, whom we all discussed alot last year and Butters were also very at home.

Too bad we wasted pick 4 on Hanners, could have had Rozee

What’s the point of the post apart from knocking the club and trying to show how smart he is
We are in a new season. We haven’t played a real game. We have won both practice games. Even won or intraclub and now someone comes out with rubbish and worst of all writes it as if it’s fact.

You wouldn't get so upset if you didn't think there was a grain of truth to it all though. I'm not convinced that it's all turned to s**t yet but I think there are definite signs the club has ****ed a lot up in the last 10 years. A win will clm everyones nerves but there is this little niggling bit of stress....we could lose tomorrow and the fallout frodthat is just too awful to contemplate. Some of us a priming ourselves for disaster just in case. If you already think the worst it can only get better. The optimist in me says we'll win the first 3 games, the realist in me knows if we lose the first one the season could be over though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cool, argue his point, joff. No issue here. Let’s just see if & who comes at him with personal insults. That’s what I meant by they will come for you. :thumbsu:
Im off that bro, except for you, you kent .

I think to posit support for the admin from supporters has completely gone based on this forum is a bit much.

Most here a loopy.

Rocky and, gulp have to say it, Watts were very good.

Rozee, whom we all discussed alot last year and Butters were also very at home.

Too bad we wasted pick 4 on Hanners, could have had Rozee

Was thinking that with Aish and Mayne last night too, we all laughed at them but now they are competent players. Port made a huge call on losing players and going back to the draft when they had only loaded up last year.

You wouldn't get so upset if you didn't think there was a grain of truth to it all though. I'm not convinced that it's all turned to s**t yet but I think there are definite signs the club has ****** a lot up in the last 10 years. A win will clm everyones nerves but there is this little niggling bit of stress....we could lose tomorrow and the fallout frodthat is just too awful to contemplate. Some of us a priming ourselves for disaster just in case. If you already think the worst it can only get better. The optimist in me says we'll win the first 3 games, the realist in me knows if we lose the first one the season could be over though.

I’m confident we win tomorrow but that doesn’t mean I have to be satisfied with the selections. We have the right to discuss for good or worse decisions (incl selections) made by the football club. It’s a fan forum, it’s what we do. I’m also leaning towards knocking the Bombers off the following week. I think we are on & they are off. I also think we will double our wins from last year. My angst at the football club is compounded by six years of utter frustration of poor decisions on & off the footy field. Simple. Now sack Goodwin & Petracca is a wasted pick 2!

You wouldn't get so upset if you didn't think there was a grain of truth to it all though. I'm not convinced that it's all turned to s**t yet but I think there are definite signs the club has ****** a lot up in the last 10 years. A win will clm everyones nerves but there is this little niggling bit of stress....we could lose tomorrow and the fallout frodthat is just too awful to contemplate. Some of us a priming ourselves for disaster just in case. If you already think the worst it can only get better. The optimist in me says we'll win the first 3 games, the realist in me knows if we lose the first one the season could be over though.
Thanks for telling me how I feel. I will say it again. There is no point in the post. And especially trying to make it look like fact. Fair enough if it’s written late in the season last year but not fair enough when we haven’t even lost a game. And who cares if things have been bad for years. Different people in charge now. It’s not relevant. We were really bad from 1897 to 1899 as well. We didn’t win a game.

And if we lose tomorrow? What about if we win by 30 goals. Just words. Means nothing yet.

Thanks for telling me how I feel. I will say it again. There is no point in the post. And especially trying to make it look like fact. Fair enough if it’s written late in the season last year but not fair enough when we haven’t even lost a game. And who cares if things have been bad for years. Different people in charge now. It’s not relevant. We were really bad from 1897 to 1899 as well. We didn’t win a game.

And if we lose tomorrow? What about if we win by 30 goals. Just words. Means nothing yet.

What’s with your mate Gawn? He shirked at least two contests that I saw. Should I keep him in my fantasy footy team?

Btw, we’ll win by 10 goals tomorrow.

I’m confident we win tomorrow but that doesn’t mean I have to be satisfied with the selections. We have the right to discuss for good or worse decisions (incl selections) made by the football club. It’s a fan forum, it’s what we do. I’m also leaning towards knocking the Bombers off the following week. I think we are on & they are off. I also think we will double our wins from last year. My angst at the football club is compounded by six years of utter frustration of poor decisions on & off the footy field. Simple. Now sack Goodwin & Petracca is a wasted pick 2!
I don’t think you will get everyone satisfied with every selection but richo isnt right or wrong and neither are you. Of course we have poor decisions over many years. Luckily there was no internet in some of those years.

I’m not really sure why all the negativity in here.

We sucked last year and we all wanted change. We have 3 new players playing tomorrow, new coaches and a new game plan. All that remains is Richo in my eyes and he will be gone mid year if we don’t improve.

At the end of the day our win loss column is all that matters and we currently haven’t played a game.

Save the melting for tomorrow if we lose, in the mean time let’s get around the guys that have made the 22. Hopefully they repay the selection faith!!!!

Interesting 48 hours.

Personal opinions on selection aside, what I think we are seeing manifest is not insignificant number of those invested in this organisation losing almost complete faith in its leadership and current direction. Its actually the primary reason most people leave their jobs, disillusionment with the leadership.

When employees (or in this case supporters) reach this point, every decision is scrutinised and picked apart (this almost always begins internally and spreads beyond). It doesn't actually matter whether there is sound logic behind a specific decision or not. Once that faith in the leadership and their direction is lost, you will get different factions and cliques becoming increasingly vocal in their disagreement to everything from the choice of coffee in the breakroom to the selection of employees (however rightly or wrongly).

Very very hard to create or maintain a successful direction for any organisation when this is occurring, and it is very difficult to turn around. And if it is happening externally to any significant degree, it is almost certain to be happening internally. This never happens in isolation.

I think what we are seeing here is that a lot of supporters have either checked out, or are scrutinising every decision to down to extremely minute details (beyond what is 'normal' or the established standard). Yes Gringo is doing his "even Carlton rebuild better then us" routine that he does before round one every year (before Carlton proceed to lose 18+ of their games), but what you are seeing in the last 48 hours is mass dissatisfaction with almost every decision being made (recruitment, selection, medical department, employee retention, VFL etc).

Using this as a microcosm of the wider club and supporter base, you can assume that the main ones left outwardly defending the decisions being made are a clique of people whose livelihoods depend on the success of this regime, and a handful of others that have now invested so much social capital into a position of support that backtracking becomes unthinkable. So they dig in and support even harder, widening the chasm between them and the wider growing dissatisfied group.

Once an organisation fractures like this you are in a world of pain, and it takes something significant to turn it around from there. Replacing a significant leadership figure is usually the easiest and cleanest way forward, but unless you change the entrenched philosophies person x bought, that fix is just cosmetic. Its not usually something that can be turned around quickly either.

We have very clearly and publicly backed in the existing philosophy / approach (by keeping the figurehead and replacing the support staff). The first real test for that decision is tomorrow, and make no mistake it is a significant day. Drawing GC first up ensured that. People will say "its only rd 1" but it is a very public very significant test for the direction we have chosen. The comments in here about selection reflect what a big 48 hours it actually is. Tomorrow is the first big opportunity for a while to test individual / group positions that have been clearly demarcated, and potentially change neutral opinions towards either direction. That's why we are all on edge a bit.

I think most would concede, including potentially even Richo himself if asked privately, that 5 seconds of Gresh magic saved his job last year. Its a repeat of that game. Its round 1 of a new season, and the first real public test of 6 months of changes. Maybe I am stating the obvious, but I have a feeling all hell will break loose if we drop this one.

No, this is just StKilda. At the merest hint of disappointment we turn on the club and tear it apart. That’s the reason we have a history of changing coaches and administrators every few years.

Now don’t get me wrong, I’m frustrated with the lack of improvement in the team, and seriously question whether richo is the best man for the job. But at this point in the season I just want to see the team play, and hopefully see some improvement.

Alternatively, we can sack the cho, lethers, the medical staff, the recruiting team, the board and pretty much the entire club. At least then we will be certain of where we stand.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’m not really sure why all the negativity in here.

We sucked last year and we all wanted change. We have 3 new players playing tomorrow, new coaches and a new game plan. All that remains is Richo in my eyes and he will be gone mid year if we don’t improve.

At the end of the day our win loss column is all that matters and we currently haven’t played a game.

Save the melting for tomorrow if we lose, in the mean time let’s get around the guys that have made the 22. Hopefully they repay the selection faith!!!!
Now that’s an excellent post.

Add another 100%. Playing Bruce, Marshall, and Membrey isnt even playing 3 talls. It is 2. Members is 188 and one of the quickest in our team. When we have no Marshall, Paddy or Battle, that means it is only Bruce and Members, which realistically is like a kpf sized player and a half forward sized player. Send Bruce into the ruck and we only have Members there and will struggle to kick goals. I reckon this modern football equals a small forward line is absolute bullshit. Like Allan Jeans said, ruckmen hits to rover, rover kicks to forward. Forward kicks goal and repeat. Hasnt changed much.

I'm pretty sure Wilkie will be the backup ruck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back