Qafl 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

How did the practice matches go over the weekend?

Magpies v palmy was pretty even. Both sides missing a stack of players. Looked like a good hit out for the first of the year.

I didn’t see any games but I believe Labrador and Mt Gravatt both had younger sides in with lots of senior players missing. Good early hit out in tough hot conditions apparently.

Magpies v PBC game didn't have a scoreboard, but I reckon it was maybe 1 goal either direction. not actually sure.

Reserves was a hammering, we played 23 teenagers and 1 bloke who is 36. But it was good for the youngsters.

Well Morningside beat Broady by 20 odd in a pretty entertaining game as pre season contests go. Both sides would be pretty happy with hit out, and from what I saw are likely to play finals.

Cats gifted a few goals by kicking straight to the oppo in the back 50 often with little pressure. Overall teams seemed reasonably evenly matched. I know we had a few young fellas in with several not available but I’m sure the siders were the same.

Grange beat Labrador by around 6 goals from what I am led to believe.

MtGravatt beat Suns U18 Academy side by 7 goals.

Can someone give me a heads up on Brenton Payne and how he went in the NEAFL for Southport, my local club has picked him up.

Can someone give me a heads up on Brenton Payne and how he went in the NEAFL for Southport, my local club has picked him up.
Knee injury cut his season short at Sharks, quality small forward was a rockie on Saints list for couple of seasons prior

Injury impacted but he was not in the best 22 at Sharks IMO. Was available but not selected for GF. Mind you looked pretty good in the games at qafl level and would play NEAFL for a lesser team. I thought he was a big fellow? 190+ cm and 95 kg?

Should be a great get for a local club

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Injury impacted but he was not in the best 22 at Sharks IMO. Was available but not selected for GF. Mind you looked pretty good in the games at qafl level and would play NEAFL for a lesser team. I thought he was a big fellow? 190+ cm and 95 kg?

Should be a great get for a local club

Cheers !

Broadbeach have signed ex Collingwood player be it Jason Cloke .. hes about 35 now but has been playing in the strong Melbourne surburban comps every year .. apparently is very fit with no chronic injury worries .. should be a good asset for the cats .

I’m hearing whispers around tensions are rising between AFLQ and qafl clubs...

Be interesting to see the result of PBC and suns NEAFL this week.

I’m hearing whispers around tensions are rising between AFLQ and qafl clubs...

Be interesting to see the result of PBC and suns NEAFL this week.

I attended the Morningside 2019 season breakfast launch this morning ,, Had a chat with AFLQ boss in Mr Warren...whom informed me just this week they had a meeting with all QAFL clubs and 2 major concerns were the fact that the Brisbane located sides are at least 50k a season behind the Gold Coast clubs because their grounds are not council funded maitenance wise where the Gold Coast clubs grounds are to some degree maintained by the councils involved.
He said he is also copping heaps from the Gold Coast clubs about holding the Grand Final at Yeronga if 2 Gold Coast clubs are contesting the Grand Final .

I attended the Morningside 2019 season breakfast launch this morning ,, Had a chat with AFLQ boss in Mr Warren...whom informed me just this week they had a meeting with all QAFL clubs and 2 major concerns were the fact that the Brisbane located sides are at least 50k a season behind the Gold Coast clubs because their grounds are not council funded maitenance wise where the Gold Coast clubs grounds are to some degree maintained by the councils involved.
He said he is also copping heaps from the Gold Coast clubs about holding the Grand Final at Yeronga if 2 Gold Coast clubs are contesting the Grand Final .

How was the MC at the launch?

the $50k head start is a known issue acknowledged by all clubs based in both Brisbane and the GC.

however, there is no obvious solution. The clubs on the GC acknowledge it and are part of the conversation in how to address it, but its not their problem to solve, nor is it AFLQ's. It will take a collective effort from everyone.

It should be held on the Gold Coast. Complete stupidity to host it in Brisbane. No parking, s**t facility at yeronga, poor playing surface and oval size. Gold Coast venues such as Broadbeach, surfers paradise, Metricon, Southport are completely capable.

Broadbeach have signed ex Collingwood player be it Jason Cloke .. hes about 35 now but has been playing in the strong Melbourne surburban comps every year .. apparently is very fit with no chronic injury worries .. should be a good asset for the cats .

Wow let’s not let the truth get in the way of a good story
Jason played for jacana in the EDFL
call it third divison
Javan’s would not win a game in our
Third div
So this is a massive step up not saying
He has not got it but he is 35

It should be held on the Gold Coast. Complete stupidity to host it in Brisbane. No parking, s**t facility at yeronga, poor playing surface and oval size. Gold Coast venues such as Broadbeach, surfers paradise, Metricon, Southport are completely capable.

Totally agree
Why are the ALFQ So against holding
It down here
The ground should be around the club
Who first make the GF first no big deal
IE if grange made it well it in brisbane
Southport did a great job two years
Ago they have all the parking ect required

Mr Warren
Yeronga is a total heap of junk
No parking real problem there
Well below facility’s
If it’s got to be in brisbane there are plenty of grounds way better suited to holding this and you know it

There are plenty of good ground on the GC AND BRIS with way more abilty
To hold our GF
QAFL WAKE UP yeronga is not uo
To it

Totally agree
Why are the ALFQ So against holding
It down here
The ground should be around the club
Who first make the GF first no big deal
IE if grange made it well it in brisbane
Southport did a great job two years
Ago they have all the parking ect required

Mr Warren
Yeronga is a total heap of junk
No parking real problem there
Well below facility’s
If it’s got to be in brisbane there are plenty of grounds way better suited to holding this and you know it

There are plenty of good ground on the GC AND BRIS with way more abilty
To hold our GF
QAFL WAKE UP yeronga is not uo
To it
Couldn’t agree more those in charge just seem to be to stubborn to move it from yeronga. Hopefully this year they wake up to themselves and change it

whilst it's great to have the ex afl players come back and play in the QAFL they haven't always dominated the comp like clubs would've hoped. They would obviously bring a wealth of knowledge to the playing group and maybe bigger crowds but yet to see one have a huge influence on the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back