Review Round 1 2019 vs Melbourne

Who was your BOG?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Max Gawn smacked all over the place : Allow
More ginger players in Port's team : Allow
Hawks silencing Crow fans : Allow
KG back on AA : Not Allow

That umpiring was incredibly one-sided today. Every 50-50 was going Melbourne's way and it was wrecking Port's momentum. Promised I wouldn't scream at the TV this season, lasted abut 6 minutes with Sammy P-P's kavalcade of klutz in the first half. Bring on next week - time for a 2-0 start.

man in the first quarter and a half the umpires were just in flat out cheat mode. Was watching with some crows supporters (and even tho they dont know the rules) they were like wtf that is a free any day of the week.

Still not sure if we too fast or Melbourne s**t at putting on pressure,
And can't believe we got to upgrade our season tickets coz campaigners jumped off lol, so happy with life right now

Hi guys,

Congrats on the win. Get a sense of real 'togetherness' from your group this year. Think you'll surprise. I saw a few people saying Burton surprised them and they weren't sure about his selection (I am guessing his pre-season was lackluster?). Anyway, that was a standard thing at Hawthorn. He really cruised through pre-season and never impressed. Was dropped early on last season I think because of it. He's a prime mover. Hope he goes well.

Good luck this year.

I think we are gonna need to buckle up cos we are going to be in for a hell of a ride.

The quick give handball that quite often is
sexy as faaark but also sometimes to not always the right option is going to be how we roll.

Sounds like the team is owning how we play again so we gonna live or die by that.

I reckon I can live with a few wtf's if we keep pushing and pushing.

Calling it now we will win a couple of games by the ton but also see some real weird s**t.

My thoughts as I missed the game live.

How good is it to have two ruckmen and not give away advantage by having a part timer out of position fill in.

Pity Charlie is out he would be an absolute beast one on one with 6v6 quick ball movement.

The players that copped s**t really stood up. Amon worked so freaken hard, Rocky had leather poisoning and Jack Watts now has a base to work from.

Jonas and Boak did a ton of work that sometimes does not get noticed but leaders lead and they did.

Kids were great and fantastic to feed off their energy.

One swallow does not make a summer but well done today to the recruiters , coaches and players and also to our Melbourne based fans you are so god damn loud you make me want to be there with you.

For today at least and hopefully all year the fun was back in football and it wasn't all about the scoreboard.

I look forward to next week and think I said that twice in the last two years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi guys,

Congrats on the win. Get a sense of real 'togetherness' from your group this year. Think you'll surprise. I saw a few people saying Burton surprised them and they weren't sure about his selection (I am guessing his pre-season was lackluster?). Anyway, that was a standard thing at Hawthorn. He really cruised through pre-season and never impressed. Was dropped early on last season I think because of it. He's a prime mover. Hope he goes well.

Good luck this year.
While you're here, dude - I'd just like to thank your boys for making this a perfect Saturday. Sensational stuff from the Hawks!!!

When was the last time we kept a team goalless for the last 50 minutes of a game?

Literally the last time we played.

Nah, jokes. Probably one of the numerous times we have kept the Gold Coast SUNS to puny scores.

Congratulations on the win.

Can any of you tell me how you made a grey guernsey look so good after Carlton made it look so awful last year?

I'm not a huge fan but I suspect pairing it with white shorts rather than grey shorts probably helps.

Congratulations on the win.

Can any of you tell me how you made a grey guernsey look so good after Carlton made it look so awful last year?
Hopefully we'll show it off at the Gabba in a fortnight. After what's just transpired, it's shaping up to be a monster clash!!!

Time for a replay review:

Quarter 1

Brayshaw should have been holding the ball when Boak tackled him. Drags it in and Boak was on him but the umpire just waited for Trav to fall on him so he could pay in the back. Set the tone with the umpiring early.

Ebert should have just taken the shot at goal instead of trying to pass to Ryder. Powell-Pepper trying it on Oliver with the don't argue was stupid when he could have turned and flicked to Motlop, Gray or back to Amon. But I guess when you tell a player he's bulletproof you're going to have to deal with that sort of thing.

Rockliff was a little bit unlucky with the free to Viney. He got him on the shoulder and then slipped high because he was being dragged down.

Didn't like Amon's handball to Byrne-Jones running down the boundary coming out of defence when he could have gone to Bonner who could have delivered down the corridor. Was made even worse when Byrne-Jones decided to kick down the line instead of just handballing to Bonner who was running in support.

Boak giving a handball to Duursma when he was on the ground and his opponent wasn't was really ******* stupid - you only do that when your opponent is on the ground as well, because it's just too easy for the opposition to slide across to cover.

McDonald's mark in the square was something you're just going to have to live with under this game style. If it was too long or too short Watts or Gray would have marked it.

Oscar McDonald was caught by Westhoff and should have been pinged for incorrect disposal - he never got a hand to his 'handball'.

Here's a classic example of first game jitters from Drew:

1553343709748.png

Could have went back to Byrne-Jones who was in the open and had the space to deliver the ball to Ryder or the player who is running in space through the corridor, but instead coughs it up. That mistake cost us a goal.

Powell-Pepper to Gray to Marshall - the future to the present to the future. Too bad Todd couldn't slot the kick.

Byrne-Jones...again no situational awareness. Should have went to Duursma on the outside who was in the clear. Don't understand why it's okay for him to call for the ball jammed up on the boundary coming out of defence but when we are running the ball down the wing he's reluctant to pass to guys who are more talented than he is. You're not Pendlebury, Darcy.

s**t kick from Powell-Pepper to Westhoff...Hoff falls over because he can see that the kick will go miles over his head. If he had pulled the kick to the right he would have found Butters who was running 20 m from Hoff straight down the corridor with no one on him. That kick would have been perfectly weighted then.

Here's another Byrne-Jones * up. He really had a s**t quarter:

giphy.gif

What exactly did he think he was achieving when he got sucked into the contest here? If you're going to go, ******* go - don't be a limp dick about it and put zero pressure on the ball carrier. He puts his hands on his head as soon as he sees the two Melbourne players free in space because he ******* knows as a defender it was his job to be supporting Jonas in the zone - there's supposed to be two defenders guarding the space in the middle. This is what I mean by him always being concerned about his opponent more than anything else...he was on Neale-Bullen (30) and got sucked towards him because of that fact. Poor.

Rozee burns Duursma, instead going to an under pressure Boak. That's twice Duursma has been burned by teammates when he's got into good positions.

Butters turning it over was just nerves.

Sexual grab out of the ruck by Lycett and handball to Boak for the first goal.

Watts takes a good contested mark and handballs to Gray, who delivers lace out to Ryder. Ryder would have marked that kick if it wasn't for his helmet, I'm quite certain of that.

Remember Byrne-Jones' * up? Well, now it's Bonner wants to join him:

giphy.gif

Look at these two clowns...what exactly were they thinking here? This is a typical example of players concentrating on getting into position rather than doing what getting into position is supposed to help you do...which is defend the opponents who are in the space. Both are caught in no mans land instead of finding an opponent and picking him up. Just really, really ******* dumb and again shows the reason why both Byrne-Jones and Bonner will be the ones under pressure from Hartlett and possibly Broadbent as the year progresses.

Boak and Gray missed pretty gettable shots for both of them. The movement to spot up Boak was good...just clean movement that was started by this little gem of defensive play:

giphy.gif

Notice the positioning of Westhoff, who senses that he's too close to one opponent and instead drops back so he can cover two players in his zone. Rockliff is pointing toward the outlet player on the other side of the ground, letting the team know that he is probably going to be the target since all the other options are covered. From the Art of War - 'When you surround an enemy, leave an outlet free. Do not press a desperate foe too hard.'

Notice too, how Boak looks around and can see that the closest player to that potential target player is Westhoff - so he's now actually covering three players - and he starts moving towards Westhoff's position to provide assistance if and when the ball heads towards that part of the ground. Drew looks around and notices the free man as well thanks to Rockliff letting him know.

giphy.gif

As soon as Hibberd spies the 'free' outlet and heads toward him, the trap is sprung - Westhoff breaks off from his position and sprints towards the free player, with Drew, Boak and Rockliff following behind to assist. It only works because everyone was acutely aware that was the only free player on the ground and the space he was given was done by design, not by accident. This ended up as a 4 on 1 outnumber and turnover. Just fantastic positioning and situational awareness.

Great play down the middle of the ground only to be thwarted by Rozee messing up his handball to Motlop - Powell-Pepper was miles in the clear and it would have been a certain goal. That was the issue with the kids - just not quite there at this stage of the game.

Quite certain Bonner didn't have to fire a handball over the head of Amon AND Powell-Pepper. A properly weighted handball would have ended with Powell-Pepper running into an open goal. Bizarre.

Lol Watts was taking the piss in this game - he kicked the ball to Powell-Pepper while Pep had his back turned and didn't realise he was in space, as if he didn't think Jack would move it on that quickly. Needed to wake up.

Byrne-Jones kicks it out on the full in defence after burning a better kick of the footy in Burton who would have been able to deliver to Westhoff or Butters who were out in the open. I know it sounds like I'm picking on him...but he was ******* atrocious in this quarter.

Summary

Like I said at the time - it wasn't bad, it wasn't good. The foundations were there, but the puzzle pieces weren't fitting together just at that stage of the game. If I based my selections for next week on just this quarter, Byrne-Jones would be the one dropping out for Wines, and I'd play Watts from half back again. But apart from a little 5 minute period, we had control of this quarter - it was only Port * ups that gave Melbourne momentum.

Those * ups will disappear over the course of the season.

On to Quarter Two.

Attachments

• 1553348769301.png
    1553348769301.png
    521.6 KB · Views: 67
Janus your opening line regarding Brayshaw. I was going *ing nuts at the tv. He was tackled by Trav, put the ball on the ground twice and then fell forward. What a joke that umpiring decision was. And that was immediately after the first bounce.

As you said, set the tone for the day.

No wonder he finished 3rd in last years Brownlow count. If he gets away with those things each week it is an indication that he is in the umpires good list.

Back