Autopsy Collingwood v Geelong, Rd 1 2019: Disappointing loss.

Remove this Banner Ad

I want to know one thing....
Moore is our 3rd biggest player; one of best marks; he competed in the Grand Final Sprint and can easily kick accurately over 40 metres....
Why the hell is he taking the kick ins?!?!?!?!?!?
He should be one the main targets. If/when he marks the ball, he’s off and away!
Kick ins should be given to Maynard. He kicks them hard and flat... maybe occasionally Crisp. Not Darcy.

Moore is our 3rd biggest player; one of best marks; he competed in the Grand Final Sprint and can easily kick accurately over 40 metres....
He should be one the main targets. If/when he marks the ball, he’s off and away!
Kick ins should be given to Maynard. He kicks them hard and flat... maybe occasionally Crisp. Not Darcy.
Kick in targets; Moore, Roughead, Grundy, Cox.... if we are going to run it out; Crisp, Sidebottom, Pendles... keep the ball away from Phillips/Howe... s**t skills/dumb decisions.

Moore gets it out the longest, especially if he plays on with a few lopes and a big kick it's well past the 50 in no time.

Not Crisp. I love everything else about him as a footballer, but he's too hit and miss with his kicking.

When I was studying at Harvard re I wrote a piece on Making star teams out of star players.. high distinction for it re but not here to talk about that and that re.. this midfield needs an identity and a hierarchy of some sort re.. eg.. Beams or Treloar or whoever need to come to grips with being high calibre subordinates re.. if this 'its not my job' mentality creeps into our play.. then I doubt we'll get very far.

Our injuries last yr were a blessing in disguise cause there was a clear hierarchy out there.. the talent was spread between A-C grade talent. Like a G1 pit crew re.. if we had a full list too chose from.. doesn't necessarily make us any better.. it just means we might have more head mechanics bumping heads and s**t out there.. and no one prepared to take on the role of a subordinate and change the f tyres re.

Wouldn't expect most of you to understand wtf it is I'm taking about unless your Mensa like me re.

A f great re.

Last edited:
When I was studying at Harvard re I wrote a piece on Making star teams out of star players.. high distinction for it re but not here to talk about that and that re.. this midfield needs an identity and a hierarchy of some sort re.. eg.. Beams or Treloar or whoever need to come to grips with being high calibre subordinates re.. if this 'its not my job' mentality creeps into our play.. then I doubt we'll get very far.

Our injuries last yr were a blessing in disguise cause there was a clear hierarchy out there.. the talent was spread between A-C grade talent. Like a G1 pit crew re.. if we had a full list too chose from.. doesn't necessarily make us any better.. it just means we might have more head mechanics bumping heads and s**t out there.. and no one prepared to take on the role of a subordinate and change the f tyres re.

Wouldn't expect most of you to understand wtf it is I'm taking about unless your Mensa like me re.

A f great re.
lol gimp.
When I come back to Aus I am going to catch up with you for a vegemite sandwich and a beer and some fashion advice.
You're an absolute nutcase re.

A f great re.

Gimpy, sometimes you do make sense. Your midfield hierarchy scenario is one of those times. When Tay and hopefully Sier return, it will be crowded out there. How’s it gonna work?

Gimpy, sometimes you do make sense. Your midfield hierarchy scenario is one of those times. When Tay and hopefully Sier return, it will be crowded out there. How’s it gonna work?

Ti les re.. sometimes I make sense?

Majority of the time I make sense re. Even the whole elite professionalism debate.. players expected to show a Pendlebury like professional approach to training. I turned that argument on it's head re. It's whatever it takes to get the best out of someone. Swan used to rock up to training with a bottle of gatorade with some good vodka in it re then continue on partying once he got home or whatever re.. brownlow medalist.. multiple Copeland trophies.. premiership player. This rat pack culture will always be there.. it's just gone underground re.

Interesting question.. I think I have a good solution.. but here's your chance to impress the Gimp by telling me how you think it would work.. it's all about identity.. look back to 2010 and 2018.. we could point our fingers at each and every player on the pitch and basically have a fair idea of what to expect.

It's all about differentiation re.. who are the select few that we want to promote as leaders in the backline midfield and forward line.. if say we promote Beams for eg as our number 1 player in the midfield.. then we need a coupla generals to support him.. the rest foot soldiers re.. you simply cannot have everyone trying to march to the beat of their own drum out there re.. hence why I would love to see Adams (general) and Sier (foot soldier) out there.

It's complicated I know.. but if we get the mix right.. If an A grade player is prepared to change tyres which should be a piece of piss for him.. I don't think anyone would stand a chance agst us.

Last edited:
lol gimp.
When I come back to Aus I am going to catch up with you for a vegemite sandwich and a beer and some fashion advice.
You're an absolute nutcase re.

I don't drink beer re I'm a lot more refined and elegant than that.. we can go out and get shitfaced on manhattans rusty nails and dirty martinis though.

Interesting question.. I think I have a good solution.. but here's your chance to impress the Gimp by telling me how you think it would work..

I cant impress you Gimpy, as I didn’t go to Harvard, just Melb Uni, a second rate institution. We focused on theory, not practice, and my theories about our midfield are more like fantasies where everything runs like clockwork. We seamlessly integrate the grunt and force of the Bear, the hardness of Adams, the zest and speed of Treloar, the silk and nous of Pendles, the ? of Beamer, and still have options to run JDG and sometimes Aish through there. Sounds easy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I cant impress you Gimpy, as I didn’t go to Harvard, just Melb Uni, a second rate institution. We focused on theory, not practice, and my theories about our midfield are more like fantasies where everything runs like clockwork. We seamlessly integrate the grunt and force of the Bear, the hardness of Adams, the zest and speed of Treloar, the silk and nous of Pendles, the ? of Beamer, and still have options to run JDG and sometimes Aish through there. Sounds easy.
I would love to respond to this.
But I can't.
I'm just a brain dead Monash graduate.
I come on here to feel good about myself and I have to deal with Melbourne and Harvard re graduates.
Screw all of you.
I'm going to the Melbourne board, at least they are a down to earth working class mob.

That's perfect.. the problem you have with A graders.. is no matter what their role is.. if it means just changing tyres.. they can slip into 'you f do it' mode re.

I love De Goey up front.. wouldn't mind him in the middle as well.. what we lack is a Tim Kelly type. I think De Goey could run amok in there.. but some players need to take a back step if that was to happen.. and do the unselfish s**t like run a good 50 or 100 to shepherd a De Goey running with the pill or whatever re..

Melbourne, wc, adel all lost and if Richmond weren't playing the worst team in the history of AFL they too would have lost. What's common with the teams.. Limited preseaon. We have new players, a new structure. And rule changes. Plus then Elliott, Moore, crisp, Howe Dagoey all underdone. Then yes perhaps team balance at selection. But the over reaction from some. Supporters is commical

Melbourne, wc, adel all lost and if Richmond weren't playing the worst team in the history of AFL they too would have lost. What's common with the teams.. Limited preseaon. We have new players, a new structure. And rule changes. Plus then Elliott, Moore, crisp, Howe Dagoey all underdone. Then yes perhaps team balance at selection. But the over reaction from some. Supporters is commical

Do the new players rules structures only apply to us and not Geelong with their 4 debutantes? Are you suggesting Ablett Selwood Hawkins Dangerfield resembled blokes firing on all cylinders?

Every side in the league is in round 1 mode. In 10 weeks time well be in match hardened mode.

We dropped a game cause we were s**t.

We need to find out the Hawks' secret for Round 1 preparation. They seem to have it figured out compared to everyone else.
Except they have in the last four years first rounds have Lost 2 and Won 2.

I fully expect Stephenson to play similarly to Kelly in a few years when he has a bigger tank and some more size.

Unfortunately there are only few players in the league with the ability to find the footy and use explosive pace like he does. He has killed us twice in a row now.

I would go hammer and tongs for him if he didn't wanna leave Melbourne. No wonder Geelong did the dodgy on him.

Do the new players rules structures only apply to us and not Geelong with their 4 debutantes? Are you suggesting Ablett Selwood Hawkins Dangerfield resembled blokes firing on all cylinders?

Every side in the league is in round 1 mode. In 10 weeks time well be in match hardened mode.

We dropped a game cause we were s**t.
i/m suggesting they had 4 extra weeks to train for it, get over pre season injuries etc

i/m suggesting they had 4 extra weeks to train for it, get over pre season injuries etc

It's not just this, either. These teams have 1-5 weeks longer than we did to get in for surgery and the rehab that follows. Just think how much better the likes of Crisp's preseason would've been had we missed the finals completely.

So you're saying we had an extra what 2 or 3 games playing finals footy so we're a lil more match hardened by round 1? Same s**t different smell re.

No excuses as far as I'm concerned. Go out and have a big Saturdee night on the turps or launching into a slab or whatever re.. you might need a day to recover.. come Monday.. your body is functioning just like everyone else's.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back