Autopsy Collingwood v Geelong, Rd 1 2019: Disappointing loss.

Remove this Banner Ad

So you're saying we had an extra what 2 or 3 games playing finals footy so we're a lil more match hardened by round 1? Same s**t different smell re.

No excuses as far as I'm concerned. Go out and have a big Saturdee night on the turps or launching into a slab or whatever re.. you might need a day to recover.. come Monday.. your body is functioning just like everyone else's.
if 2-3 weeks don't matter then heck why not bring back Peter Daicos and Buckley in his playing days. perhaps big Sav Rocca... 2-3 weeks matters because Adams is two weeks away. Crisp / howe and dagoey played lmited to no practice match.

if 2-3 weeks don't matter then heck why not bring back Peter Daicos and Buckley in his playing days. perhaps big Sav Rocca... 2-3 weeks matters because Adams is two weeks away. Crisp / howe and dagoey played lmited to no practice match.

Ok.. now lets look at Geelong.. let's start with their 4 debutants.. wouldn't you say that evens up the ledger as well.. juuuuuust a lil bit you reckon re?

Shall I do my research and see who from Geelong had limited time on the track as well?

Or shall we just end this conversation and say we were s**t.. round 1 side v round 1 side.. not round 1 side v round 10 side re.

please do your research. who say's their 4 debutantes don't end up as 4 all time greats ? not to mention that i actually said that they were able to train for changed structures longer. . going by your theory what's the point in having a preason and training. may aswell have 2 x 6 month seasons with no off season.

And the players relationship with Bucks in the previous years did well for us hey? They may have a good relationship with Bucks but it's not that so called "relationship" that wins games. It's strategy, tactics, coaching that wins games. We did well last year but we were out coached in the Grand Final. We shouldn't have lost the GF with the big lead we had during the 1st quarter. Simply out coached!

Laughable - we had a winning relationship between coach a players that got us to the GF - but somehow you think that’s this is the wrong bond between coach and players to win a flag.
As Leigh Mathews said when discussing the free that Maynard should have got from the Rioli block - even Umpites get stage fright.
It was a game that turned on that moment - if the free was paid we win.

So all your anti Buck posting has no substance.

Ok.. now lets look at Geelong.. let's start with their 4 debutants.. wouldn't you say that evens up the ledger as well.. juuuuuust a lil bit you reckon re?

Shall I do my research and see who from Geelong had limited time on the track as well?

Or shall we just end this conversation and say we were s**t.. round 1 side v round 1 side.. not round 1 side v round 10 side re.
I'm with you on this. There's no excuses for any Rd1 team, unless crippled by pre-season injuries, which we weren't.

All this talk about us just being a bit rusty just doesn't cut it. They're highly paid professionals with a massive support crew. Port didn't look rusty. Hawthorn didn't look rusty. Richmond didn't look rusty. Why is it an acceptable excuse for us?

I reckon our players went in a bit cocky. I think they got ahead of themselves and thought that with the additions of Beams, Moore and Elliott, the win would just take care of itself. Hopefully this disappointing loss provided the necessary reality-check.

I want to know one thing....
Moore is our 3rd biggest player; one of best marks; he competed in the Grand Final Sprint and can easily kick accurately over 40 metres....
Why the hell is he taking the kick ins?!?!?!?!?!?
He should be one the main targets. If/when he marks the ball, he’s off and away!
Kick ins should be given to Maynard. He kicks them hard and flat... maybe occasionally Crisp. Not Darcy.

If Darcy was the kick in target his opponent would be free if the ball rebounded - bad idea IMO

I'm with you on this. There's no excuses for any Rd1 team, unless crippled by pre-season injuries, which we weren't.
DeGoey, Grundy, Howe and Crisp all had injury interrupted preseasons, with an already shortened preseason the impact is amplified.

All this talk about us just being a bit rusty just doesn't cut it. They're highly paid professionals with a massive support crew. Port didn't look rusty. Hawthorn didn't look rusty. Richmond didn't look rusty. Why is it an acceptable excuse for us?
Port - didn't play finals, therefore their preseason was a month longer than ours
Haw - had an extra fortnight preseason in comparison to us
Rich - they played Carlton, while they look to be on the up, Rich are better and what they displayed

There's been greater unexpected losses than ours this round; personally I think it will take 3-5 weeks to get a better read on where everybody sits. For me it’s not so not much an excuse rather I know we can be much cleaner in our ball use and decision making.

Last edited:
If Darcy was the kick in target his opponent would be free if the ball rebounded - bad idea IMO
When Darcy is kicking it in, where is his opponent? The opponent is the FF. The FF isn’t going to be manning the mark. The FF will be manning up against Roughead, Grundy, Cox because the opposition FF is now defending. I would put money on Moore outmarking Grundy and Cox.

please do your research. who say's their 4 debutantes don't end up as 4 all time greats ? not to mention that i actually said that they were able to train for changed structures longer. . going by your theory what's the point in having a preason and training. may aswell have 2 x 6 month seasons with no off season.

What's the optimum time to train for structures?

If you study 2 weeks in advance for an exam.. are you guaranteed a better result if you cram it all in the day before an exam re?

No one knows the answer to that.

You're given a time frame. Use it wisely. If its 4 mths or 3 mths of preseason.. no one has advantage over the other.. if they don't have their wits.

You can argue forever about it.. you can say a longer preseason can create more issues than say a shorter preseason.

As has been said, too many underdone players who were out of touch and down on fitness.
Guys like DeGoey, Howe, Crisp were barely if at all in match sim at training 4 weeks ago.
They've had fairly limited preparation and it showed given a lack of touch.
Most worrying is Grundy. He was hardly moving around the ground and missed an easy kick for goal. Most of his kicks were 15m as our players know he has a sore foot. It's Round 1 and our least replaceable player is hobbling and has done so for the past 6 weeks.

I love Jeremy Howe as a defender, but you're right, with ball in hand, i'm just constantly waiting for the turnover.
It’s become like that... :(
Omfg... that final clanger in the dying minutes, when ALL his team-mates peeled off along the defensive flanks and he decided to drill it down the guts, right into a nest of Cats. The crowd just collectively groaned and got up and evacuated. It was the *ing cherry on top. Unfortunately, Howe is becoming a repeat offender.

I'm with you on Gimpy, we should be comfortable to call a spade a spade: we were crap on the night, period.

Our decision making was bog-ordinary (De Goey handpass anyone?), our kicking for goal was shyte, and when the pressure was applied some of our players turned into rabbits looking at high beams.

What annoys me even more and I can't prove this is that I think they just expected to win, like they were cocky.

It happens, all teams have bad games. We are still a very good side, but we need to quickly get our s**t together.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When Darcy is kicking it in, where is his opponent? The opponent is the FF. The FF isn’t going to be manning the mark. The FF will be manning up against Roughead, Grundy, Cox because the opposition FF is now defending. I would put money on Moore outmarking Grundy and Cox.

Where do you think the FF will be when he sees Moore run upfield to be a kick in target? I say he’s staying close to goal preparing for a rebound entry - I don’t see him following Moore upfield.

I'm with you on Gimpy, we should be comfortable to call a spade a spade: we were crap on the night, period.

Our decision making was bog-ordinary (De Goey handpass anyone?), our kicking for goal was shyte, and when the pressure was applied some of our players turned into rabbits looking at high beams.

What annoys me even more and I can't prove this is that I think they just expected to win, like they were cocky.

It happens, all teams have bad games. We are still a very good side, but we need to quickly get our s**t together.

I agree players expected to win and were complacent- so it’s a good wake up call that will hopefully prime them for far better performances over the season and particularly the next 2 weeks.

Rather than make excuses.. I would rather just say we lacked wisdom.

I'm writing a book.. gonna retail for $9.95 if anyone is interested.

'The Gimps 100 greatest quotes on life and football re.'

With a lil blur or whatever you call that s**t re.. 'relationship advice.. goal setting' along the lines of that s**t re.

'From BF nobody.. to BF royalty re'.

It was a disgusting loss. But I think it will be a great result for us going forward.

Might teach the boys that complaceny will only result in the same result. Need to turn up hungry and willing to the hard hard yards from the opening bounce.

As long as someone pulls the plug from the bathtub we’ll be fine. We have a great list but without bringing the pain we are more than capable of losing. I’m tipping an 8-0 run going forward. I’m expecting big things starting against against a severely wounded beeeeyaaatchmond this Thursday night. .

Last edited:
What's the optimum time to train for structures?

If you study 2 weeks in advance for an exam.. are you guaranteed a better result if you cram it all in the day before an exam re?

No one knows the answer to that.

You're given a time frame. Use it wisely. If its 4 mths or 3 mths of preseason.. no one has advantage over the other.. if they don't have their wits.

You can argue forever about it.. you can say a longer preseason can create more issues than say a shorter preseason.

On the balance of probabilities of course 2 weeks extra increases your chance of a better exam result.
Same goes here - you are kidding yourself if you think not.

Not if the other defenders/players accommodated it. Not sure he was always at FB either there were many times he was at CHB.

Moore 100% should be the target of the kick out he is the best tall mark in our team by so much its not funny.

Not if the other defenders/players accommodated it. Not sure he was always at FB either there were many times he was at CHB.

Moore 100% should be the target of the kick out he is the best tall mark in our team by so much its not funny.

How do you cover a loss of a tall 200cm defender without being exposed for height on the rebound entry? One less tall to defend a rebound entry is very risky IMO.

I'm writing a book.. gonna retail for $9.95 if anyone is interested.

'The Gimps 100 greatest quotes on life and football re.'

With a lil blur or whatever you call that s**t re.. 'relationship advice.. goal setting' along the lines of that s**t re.

'From BF nobody.. to BF royalty re'.
Will there be a book signing?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back