Rookie
Mar 21, 2019
Canada
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Leafs, Raptors, Packers
Hello everybody.

Completely new to the sport, just started watching a couple of days ago.

Watched the West Coast v Collingwood Grand Final and I'm absolutely lovin' it.

Can't wait to watch some live games this Saturday(7 am in my time zone).

Cheers.

Hello everybody.

Cheers.

Welcome.

Welcome, nice to see you have jumped on the Eagles train ;)
I was in St.Johns about 2 years ago for a visit, you live on a lovely island.

Welcome, nice to see you have jumped on the Eagles train ;)
I was in St.Johns about 2 years ago for a visit, you live on a lovely island.
Thank you.

Yeah, Nic Naitanui probably had alot to do with it. Dudes a beast. Something about Yellow and Blue caught my eye aswell :cool:

Were you? Thanks for the compliment. It's not much, but it's home.

Never been to Sweden, but it's a gorgeous country and a place I need to visit one of these days. I've been a big Metal/Rock fan most of my life and a huge number of my favorite bands and artists came from there, particularly Gothenburg. Would love to catch an Opeth or At The Gates concert.

Thank you.

Yeah, Nic Naitanui probably had alot to do with it. Dudes a beast. Something about Yellow and Blue caught my eye aswell :cool:

Were you? Thanks for the compliment. It's not much, but it's home.

Never been to Sweden, but it's a gorgeous country and a place I need to visit one of these days. I've been a big Metal/Rock fan most of my life and a huge number of my favorite bands and artists came from there, particularly Gothenburg. Would love to catch an Opeth or At The Gates concert.

Nice, its hard not to fall in love with Nic Nat.

I particularly became fond of the "newfie" accent when I visited.

Well if you do ever visit Sweden definitely do it in summer, its green, sunny and the people are out and about and happy.....come winter time everything is dark and miserable and the people clam up haha, overall I would definitely recommend a visit if you get the chance (particularly the west coast between Gothenburg and the Norwegian border called Bohuslan as there are lots of little island villages with summer parties and festivals going on, Stockholm and whilst not in Sweden its just over the bridge, I would defs recommend a visit to Copenhagen). I will going back home to Australia in august, just to stay one more summer here and bail before it gets too cold again.

Nice, its hard not to fall in love with Nic Nat.

I particularly became fond of the "newfie" accent when I visited.

Well if you do ever visit Sweden definitely do it in summer, its green, sunny and the people are out and about and happy.....come winter time everything is dark and miserable and the people clam up haha, overall I would definitely recommend a visit if you get the chance (particularly the west coast between Gothenburg and the Norwegian border called Bohuslan as there are lots of little island villages with summer parties and festivals going on, Stockholm and whilst not in Sweden its just over the bridge, I would defs recommend a visit to Copenhagen). I will going back home to Australia in august, just to stay one more summer here and bail before it gets too cold again.
Our accent/slang can be rather amusing. When I take a step back and try to look at it with an outsiders eyes, I realize how hilarious it must seem to a non-Newf.

It can be very similar to Irish as there's quite the influence of Irish and English commoner slang from the time period when the Island was discovered. Certainly not the King's English, lol.

Oh definitely. Easier for travel during summer too. I'll have to keep all of what you mentioned in mind, thanks for the tips. :) And I need to visit Australia at some point too, catch a West Coast game and check out John Wayne Parr's Muay Thai gym.

Our accent/slang can be rather amusing. When I take a step back and try to look at it with an outsiders eyes, I realize how hilarious it must seem to a non-Newf.

It can be very similar to Irish as there's quite the influence of Irish and English commoner slang from the time period when the Island was discovered. Certainly not the King's English, lol.

Oh definitely. Easier for travel during summer too. I'll have to keep all of what you mentioned in mind, thanks for the tips. :) And I need to visit Australia at some point too, catch a West Coast game and check out John Wayne Parr's Muay Thai gym.

I live in Montreal for a couple of years, but didn't get out your way. I do remember newfies being the butt of a number of jokes however.

I live in Montreal for a couple of years, but didn't get out your way. I do remember newfies being the butt of a number of jokes however.
Yeah... we have a sense of humor and can laugh at ourselves, but we don't always appreciate everything mainlanders have to say about us.

Our relationship with mainland Canada can be a complicated one.

We actually had a team in St. John's for a while (facebook.com/SJPuffins/), but they folded.

We've now created this group to try and get all St. John's fans together (facebook.com/groups/393530351385557/)

We even have a school in Goose Bay where a Canberra expat teaches the kids every year.

You live on an Island, coincidence.
Are the people who live on your West Coast in their own little world as well.?
That's not an Island, THIS is an Island. Good luck and welcome.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hello everybody.

Cheers.
never knew much about New Foundland until we got our newfy dogs. Good on you for jumping on board and hope you enjoy the AFL. By the way the newfy dogs are the greatest dogs I have encountered, magnificent!

Hello everybody.

Cheers.

Greetings my fellow East Coaster!(East Coast of Canada, i'm from Nova Scotia originally). I'm happy to see that you have also picked the correct team. Welcome! I'm actually just finding my way back here after a number of years myself.

Hello everybody.

Cheers.
greetings my friend how are ya

Yeah... we have a sense of humor and can laugh at ourselves, but we don't always appreciate everything mainlanders have to say about us.

Our relationship with mainland Canada can be a complicated one.

Newfies are the best dogs in the world.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back