AFL Autopsy Round 1, 2019: Flogging from GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Just an absolute disaster. The most underwhelming start to the season imaginable for a club that thought they could and would go places in 2019.

Last time it was this bad in Round 1 was 2004 - a 94 point loss to Port Adelaide on the road. Our Round 2 opponent that year? St Kilda and another loss. Our Round 2 opponent this year? St Kilda. But we did... eventually... turn it around to make the finals and even win one! Seems a long way off right now though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For every other completed game, teams covered 250-300km
GWS covered 240km
Essendon covered 140km

I hope that was an issue with the GPS data because that is mind-boggling if true
It's exactly what it looked like on the field; GWS ran hard to make space and close it up while our midfield unit just slowly jogged around.

There's something wrong with this club

a poser mentioned this a year ago but i agree - ASADA has ruined this club for years. Unfortunately, the only times where we play with any intensity is if we are under some kind of pressure. We can never just play with intensity unless there is something external making us play that way.
The entire culture of the team needs to shift.

Start the rebuild, play the kids.

a poser mentioned this a year ago but i agree - ASADA has ruined this club for years. Unfortunately, the only times where we play with any intensity is if we are under some kind of pressure. We can never just play with intensity unless there is something external making us play that way.

Well we've put ourselves under massive pressure now so this might actually work in our favour.

giphy.gif

Our season changed last year once we started playing some kids.
Too many players are comfortable and know they are safe. They played like that in the JLT but we wrote it off as self preservation as it's only practice match.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back