Lowest scoring opening round in 64 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Need to bring in the rule Clarkson suggested last year, where if a player handballs to a teammate that teammate immediately loses all right to prior opportunity. That one rule won't make the game look much different but it will stop players doing 5 or 6 little handballs in packs and being happy with getting another ball up.

Yep let's base an entire season on one round. Dumbest idea since Rohan Connolly wrote an article several years ago about how the rule changes were going to bring about more draws after we had 2-3 draws in the opening couple of weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The "lauded" 6-6-6 rule is only effective about 15 seconds after the ball is bounced in the middle after a goal.
Then it goes back to the typical flooding/rolling maul.

Hopefully this shuts up all the commentators trying to tell us how good the new rule is and how it will increase scoring.

Well it’s not bad, it just doesn’t do much

More scoring means more ads means more $$$ for broadcasters. These changes are driven by ch 7.

Perhaps the TV model is broken and the FTA channels need to work out how to get more money for fewer ads or the AFL have to accept less money for their product.

It's unacceptable that we are changing the game for these reasons.

I think part of the issue is with 18 sides and increased professionalism we now have 2 things working against each other.

1. Shallow talent pool

2. Greater fitness of all sides, meaning you have lots of foot soldiers who can carry out instructions to stop the opposition but not much else
Both these points support the argument for reducing to 16 a side on the field.

I actually think it will benefit the running teams. On top of having a shorter preseason, I feel the top teams struggled this week because they have built their games around pressure and locking the ball inside their F50. I think that the 'Kick-in Rule' has been a more signicant difference than the 6-6-6 rule. Teams are now transitioning the ball much quicker and more easily plus there is less congestion. The interesting thing is that teams may find it hard to transition between the 'repeat entry' style of scoring and the old fashioned, mark and goal style initially but it will evolve as the year progresses. The teams that can change their game plan to adapt quickest will see the best results.

Imo, teams such as Brisbane, Doggies, Freo and Port will find the new rules suit their gun and run tactics down to the ground but imho, this year is GWS Flag to lose. Great manipulation AFL!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back