Autopsy Collingwood v Geelong, Rd 1 2019: Disappointing loss.

Remove this Banner Ad

Upload the lil squat man goal where he took it from behind the centre.. and ripped em to shreds.. one of the greatest goals ever.

Look at how he turns the 2 defenders inside out when he first receives the pill.. then kicks it like 5 or so meters ahead of em.. he basically knew what he was gonna do way before he got the pill. Unbelievable. Genius.

I tried so hard to leave this one alone...but......
Isn’t it funny that in the preceding years we got nowhere with Bux.
But in the year, by his own admission, that he backed off, gave more responsibility to the assistant coaches and the players, we make a GF?
It’s no coincidence that when Buckley took a step back we thrived.

Yes - just like Hardwick, Bomber Thompson, Clarkson, chocko Williams, who their clubs backed, to change because they believed they had right man for the job.

So ou’ve answered your own question - Bucks embraced change to achieve success. That’s to his great credit - not sure how you can try to turn this into negative, its just absurd.

Yes - just like Hardwick, Bomber Thompson, Clarkson, chocko Williams, who their clubs backed, to change because they believed they had right man for the job.

So ou’ve answered your own question - Bucks embraced change to achieve success. That’s to his great credit - not sure how you can try to turn this into negative, its just absurd.
Learning to delegate takes time. Bucks has matured as a leader and as you say, the club is all the better for it.

Rioli is allowed to protect the ball drop regardless of whether or not Sheed comes in from the side.
He’s allowed to protect the ball drop for himself if he’s going for a mark. Fairly sure he’s not allowed to block another player from the contest if he’s not contesting himself...

Hardwick - seven years to Premiership - took over club position 15th
Thompson - seven years to Premiership - took over club position 11th
Clarkson - four years to Premiership - took over club position 15th
Williams - 6 years to Premiership - took over club position 15th
Buckley - no Premiership 6 years - tookover club position 2nd.

Hmmmm.... don’t know what you’re trying to prove there Spin, but you’ve proved my point exactly as required.
Cheers.

Last edited:

Hmmmm.... don’t know what you’re trying to prove there Spin, but you’ve proved my point exactly as required.
Cheers.
Should probably count from 2014 onwards. That makes it year 6 now.

Cheers.

I’ve shown that where clubs have backed a coach because the players support him, and the coach changes his approach, then success can occur.

So your premise that others were responsible for our improvement in 2018 - but not Bucks is wrong.

You’re comparisons to other coaches are irrelevant until Buckley stops coaching Collingwood - his record at that time may better or worse, we’ll just have to see.

Your implied position that only a Flag last year would have satisfied you to STOP bagging Bucks is absurd.

Last edited:
So... we are second now
With a game plan that has been worked out, having lost our last two games.
Sounds just like 8 years ago doesn’t it?
So are we going to have another rebuild as your scenario suggests?

Well the situation is a little different. The grand final last year was a result of an easy draw then hitting form at the right time of the year.

But as with most clubs, you are lucky to have 3-4 years challenging for the flag before you are back in the pack or outright going full rebuild.

I would also say that our current game plan isn't the key factor to our success as it was in 2010/2011. Our game plan now is basically pressure and using our talented midfield.

In 2010 the game plan was what made the team successful, probably moreso than the individual talent of the players. Which is why basically every single player that left the club failed (apart from heath shaw and beams who has returned).

My prediction is we will make finals this year, top up with talent 2020 for one last crack while the window is open and whether we win the flag or not a rebuild of sorts will start in 2021.

No
Like I said, the new blood introduced last year such as the assistant coaches, Maxwell etc, most definitely had a big influence on how the players performed on field. Watching the Hawks play today just reinforced to me that Clarkeson is the best coach in the league and if he was coach at Collingwood, we would most definitely be a better team.
Not every team in the league can have the best coach in the league.
Hawthorn took the chance on Clarkson and it paid off. They stuck with him when a lot of clubs would have sacked him. Same with Bomber Thompson when he was coaching geelong.
You keep mentioning if Clarkson was coaching Collingwood blah blah blah...
We have Buckley who will give everything for the club. The board at Collingwood continue to invest in him in for the hope it pays off. Buckley seems like a good operator and someone who, despite his age, can still grow and learn. He has a deep connection with the players and the players respect him. Would you prefer we have Bolton or Richardson? That’s who two clubs are currently sticking by and investing in. Maybe it will pay off one day, maybe it won’t... you can’t tell. What message would it send to Buckley if we sell the farm in an attempt to poach Clarkson? What if that fails? Will it be guaranteed to take the list to the glory? How did that work out with Malthouse and the blues? Just enjoy the ride and calm down. No point throwing the toys out the cot over a coach who just finished above 16 other clubs and took you within 5 points of a GF win.

Last edited:
Are you ******* kidding me. 1 loss and Buckley talks are starting again? What a bloody joke

This rubbish happens every year after Round 1, not just limited to Collingwood either. Every year Round 1 throws up weird results but the same people get sucked into extrapolating Round 1 results to the entire year. It’s moronic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maynard, Howe, Crisp and Shaz are all runners, that is enough. Dunn is the brick wall and Langdon the floater/intercept.
I think we view Shaz and Howe quite differently. I don't view either of them as being runners. Their both excellent in the air and intercepting, but I don't see either as offering much in transition outside of the intercept. Howe looks to create transition with attacking 45 degree kicks, but stuffs up too often. Shaz is safe with the footy, but takes options that are too safe to get the footy moving. Neither look to run and receive in attacking spots.

I never ... Said Sack .... Buckley.

All I ... Said he was out Coached by Chris Scott
Not withstanding a little bit of swearing, I’m not sure any coach out coached the other; both sides played scrappily.
There was nothing in the coaching instructions to tell any player miss simple goal shots, or tell any player to pass the ball to the opposition.
That’s what we did.

We kick better for goal (Phillips, Pendlebury, De Goey) we pass better, wevtransition better,
we win, that simple.

Anyway way too much is put on the coach on my view, get the ball and use it well, then rinse repeat.
Results will then take care of themselves.

This rubbish happens every year after Round 1, not just limited to Collingwood either. Every year Round 1 throws up weird results but the same people get sucked into extrapolating Round 1 results to the entire year. It’s moronic.

I don't think that's entirely true.. it's 5 or 6 yrs worth of frustration.. 1st yr goes into 2nd yr goes into 3rd yr.. when we were totally shyte.. and we expected change for the better.. but we received the same ol shyte from previous yrs.. folk can get quite upset about it all.. even though its 1 round into the season.. ain't really re.. its 22 + 22 + 22.. and I'll quote Martha from MAFS to lend weight to my argumsnt.. life ain't all about rainbows and unicorns and s**t like that in round 1 re.

We had plenty of problems going forward Friday night.

De Goey isn't a great leap, or mark overhead. He's not going to jump into a pack and take a contested clunk, and yet we're using him like we did Cloke in his prime.

Jordan is a one-on-one/speed on the lead style forward. He's never going to take 4-5 contested pack-grabs a game in the F50. If Cox doesn't provide that option, we actually look quite impotent.

Don't like it then Don't Come F**king on here after a F**king Lost.

He was Out Coached
The coach is not responsible for players making inexplicable decisions and poor conversion in front of goal Dave. This loss lies on the players shoulders, not the coach imo, unless you can pinpoint some kind of amazing moves that Scott made that bamboozled Buckley?

Horrible game of football played slightly less horribly by Geelong. We move on make a change or 2 no more. Move on to the tigers beat them by 6 goals. Just thank the stars we aren’t Essendon what a bloody s**t show

We had plenty of problems going forward Friday night.

De Goey isn't a great leap, or mark overhead. He's not going to jump into a pack and take a contested clunk, and yet we're using him like we did Cloke in his prime.

Jordan is a one-on-one/speed on the lead style forward. He's never going to take 4-5 contested pack-grabs a game in the F50. If Cox doesn't provide that option, we actually look quite impotent.

I agree the forward line set up is what I was most puzzled by Friday night there wasn’t much cohesion and I may be being harsh but I didn’t see much urgency to apply pressure and lock it in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back