AFL Autopsy Round 1, 2019: Flogging from GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

07-minister.jpg

So hawthorns 3peat had nothing to do with clubs, screaming out for talent, sitting around on draft day, twiddling their thumbs while the suns and GWS shot fish in a barrel ? It was a good time to be good and a bad time to be bad. hawthorn, no.1 beneficiaries.

It may have helped them then but it’s irrelevant to their lists now though. So many of their best players they have got mid-late draft.

Orazio would take issue with this

I'm keen to see how we answer...

Yeah some good points made.

Fantasia is all class but we can’t base our forward line around a zippy small guy.[/QUOTE]
Don't get me wrong... I feel ya.

We dun ****ed up.

The sun comes up tomorrow and all that...

Means nothing. 6 of the top 11 of those teams covering the most 'distance' (*estimation on Telstra's part) lost, while the winner of the largest margin covered the second least.

If you can kick properly over large distances, and catch them properly on the end of them, you don't need to cover large distances after all.

Pretty sure no much how much icing you put on the cake 100km behind the nearest team is not good pal.

Means nothing. 6 of the top 11 of those teams covering the most 'distance' (*estimation on Telstra's part) lost, while the winner of the largest margin covered the second least.

If you can kick properly over large distances, and catch them properly on the end of them, you don't need to cover large distances after all.
Every other team has been within 6kms of each other. The second biggest margin was Brisbane and West Coast with 6km between them.
We're 100KM behind!!!

We dont need to have GPS stats to see they did or didnt run enough.
They didnt try in the contest. In the first quarter on the far wing Merrett clearly stopped and left a team mate to chase. It was the first quarter, no excuse. * him

At first I was pissed off then by the end of the game you had to laugh at how inept we actually were. Boy its gonna be a long year if week 1 was any indication. Honestly we played like a bottom 4 team.

Probably the biggest disappointment to me was that none of our leaders/best players stood up. I would have said our best players were Heppell, Merrett, Smith, Shiel, Hurley, Fantasia, Tippa. Out of that lot I reckon maybe Heppell, Shiel and Hurley get like a minimal pass. Not even good games, just passable. Fantasia, Tippa and Merrett were immensely disappointing. We are not going to win any games if we can't get our top 10 players to perform. Some of these blokes need to have long hard look at themselves if they think they are going to be driving a winning culture forward.

Sack Rutten. When this team sets up with a defensive game plan they get lost. Just play high-pressure footy and attack the ball.

If McKernan can't mark the ball deep he's as useful as **** on a bull.

I also think that we might have to play Brown in defence, let Hurley play as the interceptor and keep Francis forward. When Hooker returns Hurley plays tight and Hooker is the interceptor. I'd also play Langford as half forward. If McKernan doesn't give signs of a 180 turn around replace him with Laverde. He, Langford, Francis and Stringer make for 4 mobile marking targets and an interesting setup.

Once again, remember how lost our players looked last year as they were trying to play an all over the ground zone defence. The lack of confidence led to terrible turnovers, amateur fumbling and finally lack of effort regards running and tackling. Wel,l here we are again. This is the list we have built, make a game plan that maximises our strengths. Don't be stubborn Mr Worsfold.

You want to play a style which at it's best might win 8 games. Might win 8 games.

Problem is that Freo and Brisbane, at a minimum, are not the same sides.

Just very disappointed. I think a lot of us feel the same way. To finish last year so strongly and pick up Shiel who seemed the perfect compliment for our midfield then dish up a performance like that round 1....The writing was on the wall in JLT, our forward line is a real worry and I certainly don’t think Joe Daniher coming back in will suddenly rectify the issues we have up forward. No idea why we play Baguley over Laverde, and McKernan was terrible. Just not sure what to think was really looking forward to watching a good contest. Can cop a loss but not like that first up where some players just didn’t look interested... You’d hope there will be some real soul searching at the club this week - players, coaches - everyone

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For the first time in a LONG time I was optimistic for us at the start of a season. WTF was that?! That was the most embarrassing game of football I've seen from this club since the 100 point beltings in 2015 on Hirdys last legs. According to all the coaches the boys had a "great" pre season and we're "hungry" to start the season. As always Woosha playing it cool in the presser. That makes it sting even more.

I hope we get flogged in the media all week. The term bruise free football should come up somewhere. That’s exactly what it was.
I'm genuinely wondering whether a first-up massive loss like this could be better than a 'meh' start last season. 'Rip the band aid off' type s**t. Don't forget, we were 2-2 last season after winning first up, and 4 of the first 6 losses were under 4 goals.

By the time the team turned it around (and only lost to top 4 teams for the remainder of the season), the damage was done and we ran out of games to properly make up so much ground.

With a loss like this, you can't point to a decision here or there or just the opposition playing well. One this big forces everyone to look at themselves, no hiding.

I agree too, hopefully the media adds to their embarrassment.

I'm genuinely wondering whether a first-up massive loss like this could be better than a 'meh' start last season. 'Rip the band aid off' type s**t. Don't forget, we were 2-2 last season after winning first up, and 4 of the first 6 losses were under 4 goals.

By the time the team turned it around (and only lost to top 4 teams for the remainder of the season), the damage was done and we ran out of games to properly make up so much ground.

With a loss like this, you can't point to a decision here or there or just the opposition playing well. One this big forces everyone to look at themselves, no hiding.

I agree too, hopefully the media adds to their embarrassment.
It was like two losses today , % etc

I remember thinking during the JLT man, we are miles off it but happy to sit tight comfortably in the 'it's only JLT' camp. Coming into today I certainly wasn't confident though. I've sat through a fair share of floggings over the years but boy oh boy wowee I was not expecting that.
I was immediately worried (and surprised) at our JLT form because we had to go to defence all the time to even look like scoring. Weren't generating any goals from the midfield.

I thought "what are we going to do if a team stops our run from half back"?
Got our answer today.

We dont need to have GPS stats to see they did or didnt run enough.

You need them to see just how poor it was. An average of 6.68 per player, GWS were second worst with an average of 11 p.p. That isn’t bad that is ******* atrocious.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back