Player Watch Callum Brown (Delisted 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely time on ground needs to be considered if judging him solely on possession count.

Possible, I reckon more likely it's just a result of being that 22nd man selected. Early last year he was getting more minutes than 64% game time. So his fitness would have had to have gone backwards for it to now be a body management thing
Well we can do the maths.
Most midfielders spend approx 80% time on ground.
Brown spent 64%
If we extrapolate from that and assume Brown played 80% he would have amassed 12 disposals.
Still very poor.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on him, quite the opposite I am excited to see what he can bring to the club.
Just calling a spade a spade. He had a shocker.

Think we'll be sticking with him for more than just one crack in round 1, would be surprised if he isn't in the round 2 team especially with no one coming back from injury next week I believe. He was serviceable, nowhere near as many clangers as some of his teammates. Lack of minutes definitely making it harder to put in a strong performance that we are after.

Still comfortably outside the best 22 in my books however.

Yeah, I’d just be wondering if a Greenwood doesn’t replace him though.

Brown spent 64%
If we extrapolate from that and assume Brown played 80% he would have amassed 12 disposals.
Still very poor.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on him, quite the opposite I am excited to see what he can bring to the club.

Agree. Only thing I’d add is, didn’t he play a lot forward?

Play him permanent small forward, I hope the coaches were taking notice of that great snap off the pack in the last quarter. He's not midfield quality yet and no room, but up forward I feel he can make it his own. I think he'll be in and out a few more times but definitely future star.

He just looks so balanced and good when over ground balls in congestion. Hes going to become very difficult to shift off a ground ball. I reckon he'll become a ripper.
That’s why I think he should have got more midfield time, we needed someone like him Geri g the ball in congestion and feeding it out to our runners.

Actually Maggie, he was easily our worst along with Varcoe.
The goal in the last qtr allowed him to save face a bit but he was terrible.
A midfielder and he only managed 9 possessions.
He didn’t play in the midfield and had sweet fa time on ground

Brown spent 64%
Still very poor.

Extrapolation? Not many players get touches in nice even intervals. He could have played those extra minutes and still finished with 9. Or 12. Or 19. Who knows
How many of those minutes were even in the midfield

Now I was firmly in the camp that Greenwood should have been playing ahead of him, but still think it's a bit unfair to say he was easily our worst and had a shocker

Extrapolation? Not many players get touches in nice even intervals. He could have played those extra minutes and still finished with 9. Or 12. Or 19. Who knows
How many of those minutes were even in the midfield

Now I was firmly in the camp that Greenwood should have been playing ahead of him, but still think it's a bit unfair to say he was easily our worst and had a shocker
Who would you rate as our worst?

I really don't see what role he could play at AFL level.

Too small for an inside mid role, too slow and without great kicking to be an outside mid... Doesn't have the marking ability to be a forward?

Too small for an inside mid role, too slow and without great kicking to be an outside mid... Doesn't have the marking ability to be a forward?
Had a stinker on the weekend, but I wouldn't go writing him off yet Kappa.
Many individuals have very good careers despite not having the attributes we assume a player must have to make a career out of this gig.
He will have to work harder and absolutely exploit any advantage he does have in order to make it, but he can make it.
Having said that, he didn't do himself any favours on friday night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Far from the worst and not his fault we lost.

A tad too conservative might be the only knock on what I thought was a solid game.

Edit: my bad, my comment relate to Aish, not Brown. sucked in by earlier posts. Brown struggled to get into the game of limited on-field time. Nice goal, at least someone could finish.

I can tell you mate there were multiple times in the game when he was clear. He also hits bloody hard.

Low possession player but he’s important.

You can get away with a lower possession count when you use the footy so well (100%DE). I'd assume his pressure acts are at the top of the list as well. And let's not forget he only got 70% game time.

Agree. Only thing I’d add is, didn’t he play a lot forward?

Where are the centre square start stats that usually get posted? I doubt he had too many.

Can’t work out why he gets chances over Daicos, imo Daicos has always looked better

Different roles generally but if they were going to play Brown he did need more midfield exposure. Does his best work there in and under and it's hard to show playing predominantly as a small forward.

Looks a pretty similar height to the two of the best of the last 15 years - Selwood and Mitchell. Looks quite naturally stocky , thus should develop decent bulk.

Had 9 possies and kicked 1-0 playing as a small forward in 64%GT. Lot of better credential and more experienced players have done much worse over the years. He's an inside mid who'll struggle to get a lot of time there when guys like Adams and Sier return so he needs to be given opportunities to develop in these other positions.

I kind of feel we already have a Callum Brown in the side and his name is Josh Thomas.

While the return of Elliott is most welcomed and Thomas is coming off a career best 38 goal season another small inside midfielder come forward in Brown alongside the 180cm Varcoe (who isn't a high possession winner or prolific goal kicker himself) appeared one to many of a similar type within our mix against Geelong.

In the short term Brown probably needs to displace Varcoe if he is to become a feature within the 22 or wait for injury to open up further opportunity.

Coaches coach to win games of football, which is the now, but they also have an eye on the future, which is to blood young players who are going to form the backbone of our future midfield. If they don't do that then an ageing midfield consisting of late 20yo's and early 30yo's at some point of time will push us over a cliff if they aren't replacements coming through. Sier wasn't ready on Friday night. Greenwood may have offered us more than Callum Brown on the night, but Brown gives us more in terms of experience he gets by playing an experienced team in Geelong over the next several years than the immediate impact Greenwood might have had. It's a balancing act. If Brown doesn't come on then nothing's been gained. It's part of the high stakes gamble you play when you put your faith in younger players when the impact they make won't be immediate.

Lifted in the last, but Cal if you’ve got time and space about 35m out; drill it. End of story. You’re a league footballer FFS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back