Autopsy Collingwood v Geelong, Rd 1 2019: Disappointing loss.

Remove this Banner Ad

You know those mini chocolate cream rolls you get in a family size pack of 12 at Woolworths.. I had like 6 of em in the space of a minute or 2.. and the missus goes.. you f ate half the pack you idiot.. I go mate.. if you size em up.. its bloody like eating a small slice of cake mate.. f unbelievable the s**t we argue about these days.. ridiculous re.. I've had it.

I’m pretty sure I told you before you can’t protect the ball drop unless you’re contesting the mark. And its easily confirmed that Rioli wasn’t contesting, and he was aware of Sheeds presence. Go and watch a replay mate. Rioli had no intention of contesting that mark therefore was illegally blocking Maynard from the contest.

Actually looks like a block from the second angle, I agree.

Fair point given they’re both fictional

Go and revisit the 'poster of the yr 2018' thread re.. and I'll bet you a pair of budgie smugglers on Bondi and a brown eyed mullet if I didn't get the votes mate. That's it mate.. be my guest.. take the bet before you review the thread re..

No problem.
So 5 years for Bux, no Premiership from 6th.
Compared to, and I’m adjusting the other mentioned coaches on the same criteria. Only fair isn’t it?

Hardwick - six years to Premiership - from position 8th
Thompson - six years to Premiership - from position 11th
Clarkson - three years to Premiership - from position three (lifted from 15 the year of takeover-wow!)
Williams - 5 years to Premiership - from position 14th
Buckley - no Premiership 5 years - from position 6th

Even under your adjusted figures, pretty grim reading.
Yawnnn
Do you get tired of typing this BS?
Do you like being on the fringe of unpopular opinion?
Do you think you’re going to convince anyone?
Do you need some time away from the computer?

While I've come to the conclusion it's unwise to make any hard and fast rules linking tackle count to performance our total of 49 against Geelong was well down on our 2018 season average of 68.

Last season we only fell below that mark twice with 48 tackles against Essendon on Anzac Day that concluded with a win and 42 tackles in our loss against West Coast in round 17.

Interesting perhaps that in our round 8 loss to Geelong last season we recorded our second highest tackle count for the season with 84.

Our season high tackle count of 104 came in the Grand Final.

I stayed away from this place over the past few days because I just knew that people would be making sweeping statements and handwringing.

Look, given our next few games are pretty tough, dropping this is less than ideal, but there are a number of other teams that need to hang their heads in shame more than we do. We were just wasteful with opportunities in the forward half of the ground.

Unlike Essendon, who have spent all summer spruiking their apparent team defence mindset, we actually had a defence that worked pretty well together.

Some players were definitely passengers on Friday but the suggestions of wholesale changes to the 22 are laughable. If the team gelling is the issue, the issue won't be solved by dropping ten blokes to the twos.

Have some perspective.

I stayed away from this place over the past few days because I just knew that people would be making sweeping statements and handwringing.

Look, given our next few games are pretty tough, dropping this is less than ideal, but there are a number of other teams that need to hang their heads in shame more than we do. We were just wasteful with opportunities in the forward half of the ground.

Unlike Essendon, who have spent all summer spruiking their apparent team defence mindset, we actually had a defence that worked pretty well together.

Some players were definitely passengers on Friday but the suggestions of wholesale changes to the 22 are laughable. If the team gelling is the issue, the issue won't be solved by dropping ten blokes to the twos.

Have some perspective.

Very pragmatic of you. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m pretty sure I told you before you can’t protect the ball drop unless you’re contesting the mark. And its easily confirmed that Rioli wasn’t contesting, and he was aware of Sheeds presence. Go and watch a replay mate. Rioli had no intention of contesting that mark therefore was illegally blocking Maynard from the contest.

I reckon Rioli was contesting it and protecting the ball drop effectively. Whilst it was probably there as right at the end he pushes Maynard out of the contest and doesn't go back for the footy himself, I probably wouldn't have paid the free as I felt it was ok within the context of those two tussling for position, Rioli won the battle and got himself in the position to win the footy, before he backed off for Sheed to mark, but I definitely would have given Mihocek a free when MacGovern took that ripper. I can't remember who it was, but just as Mihocek is beginning to jump at the footy, some bloke with his back to the footy gave him a big shove in the chest, stopping him from getting off the ground.

No

Not every team in the league can have the best coach in the league.
Hawthorn took the chance on Clarkson and it paid off. They stuck with him when a lot of clubs would have sacked him. Same with Bomber Thompson when he was coaching geelong.
You keep mentioning if Clarkson was coaching Collingwood blah blah blah...
We have Buckley who will give everything for the club. The board at Collingwood continue to invest in him in for the hope it pays off. Buckley seems like a good operator and someone who, despite his age, can still grow and learn. He has a deep connection with the players and the players respect him. Would you prefer we have Bolton or Richardson? That’s who two clubs are currently sticking by and investing in. Maybe it will pay off one day, maybe it won’t... you can’t tell. What message would it send to Buckley if we sell the farm in an attempt to poach Clarkson? What if that fails? Will it be guaranteed to take the list to the glory? How did that work out with Malthouse and the blues? Just enjoy the ride and calm down. No point throwing the toys out the cot over a coach who just finished above 16 other clubs and took you within 5 points of a GF win.

100% this.

The fact is a new coach is an unknown. And grabbing an experienced coach is by no means a guarantee.

Mick failed at Carlton and made an series of questionable list decisions. Denis Pagan was also eaten up by the blues. Ross Lyon made a grand final with Freo but hadn't given them that flag and probably will never get it. Rodney Eade didn't deliver success for the dogs or the suns.

When you get a new coach you can also lock in losing at least 2 good players, have at least 1, most likely 2, seasons of inconsistency as players learn the new game plan and potentially just go complete rebuild.

Now I am not saying we stick to our current coach for life, but it's a big decision and should only be made in the most dire of circumstances. We are nowhere near that circumstance.

CFC2010 check the last three minutes of 3rd quarter. Not going to watch the last quarter.

I can't watch that game again.......I just have to take your word for it Maggie5.

You know those mini chocolate cream rolls you get in a family size pack of 12 at Woolworths.. I had like 6 of em in the space of a minute or 2.. and the missus goes.. you f ate half the pack you idiot.. I go mate.. if you size em up.. its bloody like eating a small slice of cake mate.. f unbelievable the s**t we argue about these days.. ridiculous re.. I've had it.
Maaaate - should have been at my "family" BBQ yesterday - phew.. put an alternative view out there on any topic - WHAM - like putting your head above the parapet and having it blown off by large bazookas fired at close range - anyway I've made it to work which should be a pleasant respite :):)

Very disappointing...more so because we had opportunities to win it but didn't take it.

Not sure why we didn't play Greenwood. Is he injured? Did he play VFL? I would have had him in over Cal Brown or Aish. We have always had success against Geelong in tagging Selwood. This time, we could have sent him to Kelly. Thought Treloar did a good job on Kelly in the 2nd half to quell his influence whilst also winning a lot of the ball himself.

I noticed over the JLT that we were playing with a bit of cockiness. I saw signs of it again on Friday night. I just hope the players haven't been drinking their own bathwater. At the end of the day, they haven't achieved anything yet other than been runners up.

Hoping the loss is a wake-up call and we go back to playing the sort of footy that got us results last year.

The one small comfort I've taken from this is that a number of other teams who were anticipated to be strong in 2019 have also faltered first up.

After watching the the game again and then looking at some tape from last year I don't think we adapted to the new 6-6-6 setup all that well, as was the case for a number of teams.

I had thought we were getting regularly caught out cheating with all three onballers moving forward of the clearance, but after looking at a couple of recorded games from 2018 I saw a similar pattern when the opposition gets first hands to the ball.

The big difference with last year was that we had one or two players coming hard off the back of the square, which forced the opposition midfielder with the ball to feed it backwards where our midfielders could either pick them off from behind or force a chain hurried disposals sideways /forward, which our half back flankers / wingman or intercept markers could then pick off.

Without that added pressure off half back we were left exposed a number of times, especially in the last quarter and, despite the quality of our midfield rotation, we're certainly not going to win any foot race against a younger, quicker midfield trio which is how Geelong exposed us later in the game.

It will be interesting to see how we adapt to this, but my best guess would be to run one or both wingman off the defensive side of their respective wing(s) to help bring a bit more of that frontal pressure if/when the opposition wins the initial contest at the centre bounce.

Very disappointing...more so because we had opportunities to win it but didn't take it.

Not sure why we didn't play Greenwood. Is he injured? Did he play VFL? I would have had him in over Cal Brown or Aish. We have always had success against Geelong in tagging Selwood. This time, we could have sent him to Kelly. Thought Treloar did a good job on Kelly in the 2nd half to quell his influence whilst also winning a lot of the ball himself.

I noticed over the JLT that we were playing with a bit of cockiness. I saw signs of it again on Friday night. I just hope the players haven't been drinking their own bathwater. At the end of the day, they haven't achieved anything yet other than been runners up.

Hoping the loss is a wake-up call and we go back to playing the sort of footy that got us results last year.
Not to sound like a dick, but it doesn't take much digging to see that Greenwood did not play VFL because he was the holdover emergency on Friday night.

For all of:

- missed shots
- terrible disposal
- s**t umpiring
- rusty players

We once again fell for their flood. I'm beyond staggered that Bucks could allow Geelong to do that to us...again. Like, how hard is it to go man on man? Back your players in to win the one on one contest and FORCE Geelong to take us on. That was by a mile the most frustrating thing to watch for me. To just watch Geelong drop 2, 3 4 players back and we just left our men meandering up in the midfield.

Then to have Geelong still find free players up field despite the fact that we should have outnumbered them everywhere else.

Have some perspective.

So you’re saying drop 11 guys to the 2s?

Makes me a bit less mad after seeing the Premiers lose to the woeful Lions. Maybe it is just Round 1 nerves...

I wouldn't be discounting the Bears too much. They'll be a much better side this year and will be very tough to beat on their own patch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back