Preview Changes vs Geelong

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Kielty apparently very good in the vfl today. Could he come in as that ruck/fwd?

KK played too and was apparently pretty good.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Would be hilarious if he did. Preuss leaves the Roos to compete with Max for a ruck spot and ends up 3rd fiddle behind Gawn and Kielty.

Doubt Kielty gets near the team but you never know with Goodwin.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
In: May
Out: Hore

Given the injuries we've got, I don't know who else we've really got to bring in. Baker has pace and could be worth a game, but no much point turfing people for other players who won't do any better. At least if we have May, OMac and Frost around we have some matchup options or could leave May or OMac to go third up in contests.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
In: May
Out: Hore

Given the injuries we've got, I don't know who else we've really got to bring in. Baker has pace and could be worth a game, but no much point turfing people for other players who won't do any better. At least if we have May, OMac and Frost around we have some matchup options or could leave May or OMac to go third up in contests.

Yeah, theres only one logical change at this stage. Too early in the year to make wholesale changes when there has only been one VFL game for guys to build form in.

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Would be hilarious if he did. Preuss leaves the Roos to compete with Max for a ruck spot and ends up 3rd fiddle behind Gawn and Kielty.

Doubt Kielty gets near the team but you never know with Goodwin.
Would rather he get a game this week with Stanley being the ruckman over Preuss especially if Preuss isnt up to full fitness. Allows Gawn to go forward or back for patches cause Kielty can run and jump with Stanley for a few minutes a quart then Gawn can take down the Rat in patches dont wanna cook Gawn to early in the season. been bashed 1 week then run off his feet the next.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Would rather he get a game this week with Stanley being the ruckman over Preuss especially if Preuss isnt up to full fitness. Allows Gawn to go forward or back for patches cause Kielty can run and jump with Stanley for a few minutes a quart then Gawn can take down the Rat in patches dont wanna cook Gawn to early in the season. been bashed 1 week then run off his feet the next.

I'd be happy letting the Weid or TMac do the backup ruck work. Don't see much point in bringing another tall in to give Max a chop out for 5 minutes a quarter when we don't have a spot for another tall in the side.

Genuinely think we'll win this. You can all quote me post-game if we get done but I think we'll be much better this week.

I'm the opposite, genuinely think we'll get flogged, my feeling of a three goal loss to Port on the money, this one reeks of an 8-10 goal loss.

Cats youngsters were really impressive Friday night, loved the look of that Atkins kid. Another team that has seemed to get quicker over the off-season, really think we'll continue to be exposed for pace and spread from teams early on going off what I saw on Saturday.

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Don't think the Cats will score that much and they've got a lot of kids now that'll come down after last week (Where most of them played well).
Most of them arent 18 though so surely bodies be up to it

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Cats youngsters were really impressive Friday night, loved the look of that Atkins kid. Another team that has seemed to get quicker over the off-season, really think we'll continue to be exposed for pace and spread from teams early on going off what I saw on Saturday.

* even watching the GC StKilda game I thought we looked mega slow in comparison

Lewis
Lever
AVB
Hannan

The blokes who when fit would play

Garlett is definitely in the best 22 too, because nobody else can do what he does. Even still, a hugely uninspiring list given three are borderline 22 and Lever is months away

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Garlett is definitely in the best 22 too, because nobody else can do what he does. Even still, a hugely uninspiring list given three are borderline 22 and Lever is months away

Id have Hannan above Garlett now, based off of last year. Think hes still underrated an a little more important to us than gets credit for.
Pacey, got a decent set of hands and an eye for goal. He also gets up into the midfield an carries the ball.

But yeah its looking bleak, although it always does after a loss

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Just for those that think outside speed + class = wins

Essendon in the last 2 years have added
Smith
Saad
Sheil
McGrath
Stringer
To a side with leg speed an lost by 72 points

North added
Polec
Hall
Pittard
Lost by 86 points

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Just for those that think outside speed + class = wins

Essendon in the last 2 years have added
Smith
Saad
Sheil
McGrath
Stringer
To a side with leg speed an lost by 72 points

North added
Polec
Hall
Pittard
Lost by 86 points
Both lost to teams with........leg speed who had home ground advantage. GWS are a seriously quick team. Freo surprised me with their leg speed. They will trouble a lot of sides this year. Especially over there..

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Both lost to teams with........leg speed who had home ground advantage. GWS are a seriously quick team. Freo surprised me with their leg speed. They will trouble a lot of sides this year. Especially over there..

We spanked Freo and GWS last year. Essendon couldn't possibly add any more leg speed to their side.
Teams look quick when they are winning and slow when they are losing

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Unless it is the case that the rule changes are just spectacularly terrible for us, and unless Maxy is suddenly going to be half the player he was last season, than it’s not possible that we magically turned into a s**t side.

We beat WC, GWS, Geelong and Hawthorn in successive weeks. I refuse to believe that happens by accident.

We will rise.

Last edited:

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
We spanked Freo and GWS last year. Essendon couldn't possibly add any more leg speed to their side.
Teams look quick when they are winning and slow when they are losing
The new kick in rule exploits our lack of pace. A lot. And if Max is injured or down on form our midfield's lack of pace gets hugely exploited like it did on the weekend. Of course ball movement and making right decisions makes a team look quick. But I've been consistent in saying that our lack of speed and outside run is going to hurt us with these new rules. Time will tell. But Port really exploited that weakness and i reckon other teams will take those tactics and run with it. Smash Gawn at every opportunity and run him Into the ground with 2 mobile rucks to lessen our stoppage dominance. Break even at stoppages which means teams outside run will do a heap of damage. Maybe our back 6 will hold up some weeks, maybe like Saturday it will crumble. Either way, we need Preuss in for what we recruited him for, we need KK to be the classy outside player we desperately need, and we need to get a few more blokes into the club who has genuine outside run and carry. Easier said than done, but i can't see us vying for a flag until these things happen. These new rules dont suit us IMO..

The new kick in rule exploits our lack of pace. A lot. And if Max is injured or down on form our midfield's lack of pace gets hugely exploited like it did on the weekend. Of course ball movement and making right decisions makes a team look quick. But I've been consistent in saying that our lack of speed and outside run is going to hurt us with these new rules. Time will tell. But Port really exploited that weakness and i reckon other teams will take those tactics and run with it. Smash Gawn at every opportunity and run him Into the ground with 2 mobile rucks to lessen our stoppage dominance. Break even at stoppages which means teams outside run will do a heap of damage. Maybe our back 6 will hold up some weeks, maybe like Saturday it will crumble. Either way, we need Preuss in for what we recruited him for, we need KK to be the classy outside player we desperately need, and we need to get a few more blokes into the club who has genuine outside run and carry. Easier said than done, but i can't see us vying for a flag until these things happen. These new rules dont suit us IMO..
May and Lever are both excellent at reading the play. Oscar and Frost are not.

Having those two in the side will make a tonne of difference. Youre replacing two average kpd with an AA and a gun.

People saying Richmonds season is over due to the loss of Rance.. Lever was just as good as Rance as a kid in his AA year.

Gee we’re seeing some massive overreactions after the weekend.. We had games last year where we were cut up on the outside and every single time it was down to bloody effort.. the high intensity game we play is demanding and requires us to win it at the coal face and bust ass all over the ground.. We looked like a side seriously under done on Saturday (which we are)... I rekon it will take us a few weeks to get going which is a serious worry because of our tough start..
Geelong will suit us this week because we’ve played the smaller grounds bloody well the last few years so if we get blown away this week then I’ll start getting seriously worried..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Has anyone from the club explained why we played with 4 short against brissie, yet our 2 captains played VFL an were desperately short on match fitness?

rhaz

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2008
AFL Club
Melbourne
I really think a deep breath and letting a few more games go by is a good idea.

If we get belted by Geelong then it's a worry... but if you look at all the other results over the weekend, it's clear that the Round 1 throws up anomalies. I'm hoping we're one of them.

It doesn't matter how we're playing now, what matters more is that we win enough games over 22 rounds to make finals, ideally make top four, ideally have home finals, and be in the right form to win through to a Grand Final. But maybe we're still a year off that.

Back